Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest first chapter and line of all time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

-Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen:

The madness of an autumn praire cold front coming through. You could feel it: something terrible was going to happen. The sun low in the sky, a minor light, a cooling star. Gust after gust of disorder. Trees restless, temperatures falling, the whole northern religion of things coming to an end. No children in the yards here. Shadows lengthened on yellowing zoysia. Red oaks and pin oaks and swamp white oaks rained acorns on houses with no mortgage. Storm windows shuddered in the empty bedrooms. And the drone and hiccup of a clothes dryer, the nasal contention of a leaf blower, the ripening of local apples in a paper bag, the smell of the gasoline with which Alfred Lambert had cleaned the paintbrush from his morning painting of the wicker love seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

It was the day my grandmother exploded.

Iain Banks, The Crow Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhayden

Pittens wrote: »
    That would've been mine. An alien could read that line ( with his bable fish translator since you asked), knowing nothing about human affairs, and understand it as irony.

My favourite introduction in literature, though not a first line, is the introduction to Scrooge.

Taking about aliens

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

HG Wells War of the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

- Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Advertisement