Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox-PC

Options
  • 22-05-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

So I played around with the thought of modding a PC into my old Xbox case (Original Xbox I guess, if anyone has the offical name, let me know) and the last time it didnt prove successful,but since then, I've accumulated quite a bit of knowledge on very small computer systems so I think I may have found a build that will work, its purely conceptual at the moment, and I'll have everything that goes on with it up here on OCN. The progress of this build will depend entirley on my finances (being a student sucks) as its not sponsered. ( At the moment, hopefully I can get some sponsers)

So, here are my plans :

- Remove all Xbox components, check mesurements and calculate space.
    - Fabricate a new aluminium backplate and motherboard tray.
    - Install 2x80mm fans on that backplate, if possible, I know one will definitly fit, two, I'm not sure.
    - Install motherboard standoffs and place motherboard in
    - Install stock Intel HSF, check for clearance.
    - Decide on HDD mounting, either will be mounted in the roof of the case or above the motherboard
    - Mesure space to the side of motherboard (below where the DVD drive will be) to explore possible cooling solutions.
    - Create new case feet to improve airflow

Hardware list : (Decided so far, may change)

Zotac ION motherboard (for socket 775) W/ Intel E2200.
    Unknown amont of DDR2 Ram
    Kingston or Corsair SSD
    Pico PSU and AC adapter (external power brick like a laptop)

Just throwing this thread up to get some boardsies feedback. Do feel free to tell me that im absolutely mad to try this :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yep, You're mad alright, I'm not exactly sure why You want to do this but keep us posted, interesting project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yep, You're mad alright, I'm not exactly sure why You want to do this but keep us posted, interesting project.

You say why, I say why not !

I'm thinking of not doing the backplate/mobo tray out of aluminium now, I think plastic might be easier to work with :)

Deano12345 wrote: »
    You say why, I say why not !

I'm thinking of not doing the backplate/mobo tray out of aluminium now, I think plastic might be easier to work with :)

Update !

Ok,Ive started to do some mesuring and stuff and an ATX board will fit just perfectly (30.5cm x 21cm) however, I'm still going use a Mini ITX board so I can improve the cooling. With the motherboard mounted as far over to the side of the board, I'll have another 13.5 cm left (mITX is 17x17) and will cut out a section in the new motherboard tray and also in the case where I will mount a 12cm fan (120mm, I'm just keep all the mesurements in the same units to keep it simple)

This fan will draw cool air into the case (MNPC case feet will help improve airflow under the case). I will also get a honeycomb style grill to protect any curious fingers !

The fan will mounted slightly offset towards the front by probably 2 cm so that the HDD bracket can be mounted behind it. There are more mesurements to be done but I'm going to check if I can fit an 8cm fan on the back.

I'll maybe do a quick sketchup of the lot later.

Feedback on these ideas would be great !

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

ditch the mounts and fans and get a monster on that block http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/main.asp

ditch the mounts and fans and get a monster on that block http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/main.asp

Doesnt link me to anything :confused: Just Zalmans home page

• Advertisement

They work and look great.. up to you to pick depending on yer dimensions, taste etc. You may not even like that style.
    could mod it to stick up out of the case like a blower/turbo on a sportscar kinda deal

They work and look great.. up to you to pick depending on yer dimensions, taste etc. You may not even like that style.
    could mod it to stick up out of the case like a blower/turbo on a sportscar kinda deal

But what are they ?

I dont mean to be rude but I've no idea what your talking about !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If going mITX gives you all that spare space in there wouldn't it be cooler to wedge in an mATX or TFX power supply and stick a HD5570 in there for 720p gaming? :D

Solitaire wrote: »
    If going mITX gives you all that spare space in there wouldn't it be cooler to wedge in an mATX or TFX power supply and stick a HD5570 in there for 720p gaming? :D

I'll look into it later (I'm actually doing a sketchup model of the hardware setup now) but I could still get a 5670 if I keep the PicoPSU...decisions :D

Eh? I thought a XBox would be too narrow to fit a full-height card, or I'd stick a HD5770 in there for 1080p! :p

• Advertisement

Eh? I thought a XBox would be too narrow to fit a full-height card, or I'd stick a HD5770 in there for 1080p! :p

It should be fine, the highest point on the case will be the actually be the top of the of the PCI slot. My back panel will be similar to the one on the OS Xbox Pro, but I'll have only the one PCI slot, an AC jack instead of of the 3 pin power plug and I'll have a few bigger fans

os-xbox-back.jpg

Seems a pretty tight fit to me even for the low-profile cards there... :o

Seems a pretty tight fit to me even for the low-profile cards there... :o

You think it will be a tight fit.......your right :o

4632368181_cbc18e9426_o.png

There's the first draft of the innards, me being the eejit that i am forgot to rotate the board,but you get idea...right ? :p

A HD5570 should do 720p fine though :)

Anyway, where's the optical drive going? Will it be a slimline slot model? And out of interest why not the LGA1156 version of the mobo? :confused:

A HD5570 should do 720p fine though :)

Anyway, where's the optical drive going? Will it be a slimline slot model? And out of interest why not the LGA1156 version of the mobo? :confused:

I could have sworn I replied earlier....how strange.

Anyway...I'm going 775 because I already have a spare E2200 processor so its a fair bit cheaper for me to go 775, simple as that.

About the DVD drive, it will be a slimline drive with a modded front facia so it will keep the original look on the outside,mounted in the original position so i will be above where the 120mm fan is.

Also, backplate is nearly done

4632802735_ef6d315f11_o.png

Eh? Surely the dimensions are wrong on that? :confused::o

To be honest with you, I thought it looked a little odd myself but according to sketchup, it's the dimensions I keyed in. I'll mess around with it tomorrw and find the problem.

Any progress? :)

Any progress? :)

School sucks :(

I'm going to do the backplate differently, Im gonna get a flexible PCIE riser card and mount the graphics card above the motherboard.

Sketchup to come later :D

Deano12345 wrote: »
    But what are they ?

I dont mean to be rude but I've no idea what your talking about !

I dont mean to be rude either but have you ever navigated a website before ?
    they do cooling, cases, psu etc.

• Advertisement

they do cooling, cases, psu etc.

I knew this, also, Zalman were good (in 2006/2007) when there was no other competitors around. Now they are for the most part overpriced for the performance of their products, they only product I would consider buying from them is their ''F'' series fans, even then I could get cheaper fans with better performance.

Back to my original point though, all I want to know is what your suggesting I take a look at.

Telling me to ''ditch the mounts and fans and get a monster on that block''
    doesn't mean anything to me

right what i ment by that was i was thinking dont use the stock heatsink and fan and mod the case to have the zalman or somthing like it sticking up thru the case the fan should pull air up and out like an exhaust fan or blow across depending how its configured

looks like they are in the same price range as other coolers ..thermaltake, coolermaster etc

I question the aesthetic appeal of an XBox mod with a giant Zalman cooler sticking out of the top in an unfitting manner :o

right what i ment by that was i was thinking dont use the stock heatsink and fan and mod the case to have the zalman or somthing like it sticking up thru the case the fan should pull air up and out like an exhaust fan or blow across depending how its configured

looks like they are in the same price range as other coolers ..thermaltake, coolermaster etc

The performance of the Zalman stuff is still below par compared to a product of the same price.

Also, the Zalman coolers which are flat are very wide, and would restrict the airflow to the other components on the motherboard
    I question the aesthetic appeal of an XBox mod with a giant Zalman cooler sticking out of the top in an unfitting manner :o

But the main reason I dont want a cooler like that is exactly what Solitaire has stated above ! While everyone has their own taste, we can all agree that a big chunk of copper sticking out of the top of the case will look horrible !

I should also mention that that Intel cooler is only a temporary solution. Eventually the CPU will be water cooled

...which explains the insistence on having that 120mm fan rolling around inside there (as if you couldn't guess! :p)

...which explains the insistence on having that 120mm fan rolling around inside there (as if you couldn't guess! :p)

:p:D

Ended up NOT getting another sketchup done, been busy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BIGButters

Jesus da speed that yoke will do would blow the bulb off ya boi

...k... :confused::o

Any more progress on this wee beastie Deano? :)

• Advertisement

Any more progress on this wee beastie Deano? :)

Yep ! I found an ATAPI DVD drive from a Dell laptop that will work in the build perfectly (thanks to Butters for telling me what the connection was)

Sorry the thread hasn't been updated much, Ive had exams this week, but I have a free Saturday to do more plans and sketchups ! :D

I need to work out the cost of this build too....

Advertisement