Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This train is for Howth

Options
  • 22-05-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I read on the DART today the text "this train is for Howth" & then in the Irish translation it said "Seo an traein go dtí Binn Éadair"
    I was just wondering should it not be "An traein seo go dtí Binn Éadair"??

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Go raibh maith agat!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

"Seo an traein go dtí Binn Éadair" Translates roughly to:

This is the Howth train/This is the train to Howth

While "An traein seo go dtí Binn Éadair" Translates more to:

This train to Howth. or This train until Howth

The translation you have made isn't definite. You would get away with "Tá an Traein seo go dtí Binn Eadair" which would mean This train is to Howth.. One thing I have noticed is that the commuter trains have different wordings up. They tend to use "Ceann Scríbe: xx" as in Destination: xx

You can wait for someone to give a more technical answer around sentence structure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

They're not direct translations. However, if either of them are to be changed, it should be the English.

Advertisement