Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hit you hardest? (SPOILERS!)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I voted Sirius Black in the end. Cedric didnt affect me that much. I always like the adult characters more, Sirius being a favourite. DH was like being repeatedly punched in the stomach, especially Remus and Tonks hit me there but Fred too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Sirius was the worst in my opinion, just as you thought Harry might get a chance at the remains of a childhood. I had to keep starting and stopping for a chapter as I couldn't stop crying.

Next worst was Dubledore. His actual death didn't really affect me because the action sequence continued but his death sat in at his funeral and I balled.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Definitely Sirius Black. I just felt devastated for Harry and it just seemed so unfair that his one chance of a "family" was taken from him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Dutchess wrote: »
    DH was like being repeatedly punched in the stomach, especially Remus and Tonks hit me there but Fred too of course.
    Oh God yes, that whole book was just awful! So many died, it was unreal! I'd say JK decided that if she wasn't killing off Harry, she would make it as realistic as possible by slaughtering everyone else!
    shoppergal wrote: »
    Definitely Sirius Black. I just felt devastated for Harry and it just seemed so unfair that his one chance of a "family" was taken from him.
    I was so upset by that! He had his chance at having a family- Sirius would be proven innocent of what he was convicted of. NO! He had to go on the run. THEN he dies within two books, boo! And because there was no body I kept thinking 'he'll appear out of somewhere..' but he didn't! :(

Hedwig was so sad too because it really was the end of his childhood.
    But the little touches made them more upsetting, I voted Dobby because when Harry etches on his gravestone "Here lies Dobby. A free elf." I nearly lost it, I was practically hysterical! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

If we can count the new movie then i'll admit dobbys death made me cry... was rather embarassing loada gorgeous gals sitting next to me although ended up talking to one of em after so not to bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

From the books,
    Fred's death was the most difficult to take as the way she described it was perfect. If you've ever lost someone close to you, that feeling that the entire world should stop is pretty prevalent.

However, in the movie series,
    I thought they improved Dobby's death immensely from the book version. In the book, Dobby just says 'Harry Potter' and then dies, but his speech about being friends absolutely ripped me apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whywonder

I'm not looking forward to Fred's death scene in the next movie- that one hit me hardest in the books, cos the second Percy came back I knew one of the Weasleys was about to die and I was just waiting for it. :rolleyes:

I loved Snape's end though (callous as that may sound) because it finally, conclusively, proved that he wasn't a heartless scrooge and I'd been fighting in his corner for years (sad, I know, but what else does an Arts student talk about in college?). I'm looking forward to seeing that played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tonmachine

I loved Snape's end though (callous as that may sound) because it finally, conclusively, proved that he wasn't a heartless scrooge and I'd been fighting in his corner for years (sad, I know, but what else does an Arts student talk about in college?). I'm looking forward to seeing that played out.[/QUOTE]

I hope too God they give it as much justice as it deserve's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Spoilers are fairly redundant seeing as people would see the poll choices before the comments.
    Anyways, in the books it was Dumbledore. Thought they were fcuked after that, and I genuinely did shed a few tears. I also thought Harry's death was very sad, until I turned the page that is...
    In the movies, to date, probably Dobby or Sirius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

I have to say in book terms the first time I read DH I cried my way through Harry's "death" even the lead up to it after the Princes Tale chapter. I went through a load of Kleenex that day. Even now though I have re-read it numerous times I always find myself crying reading it. I think JKR did a fantistic job in writing that chapter.

Sirius's,Hedwig and Fred's death were very sad also.

In movies Dobby's death had a bit of wetness in the eyes and Dumbledore's death also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Tonks and Lupin:
    "...Remus and Tonks, pale and still and peaceful-looking, apparently asleep beneath the dark, enchanted ceiling."

*bawls*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Posy wrote: »
    Oh God yes, that whole book was just awful! So many died, it was unreal! I'd say JK decided that if she wasn't killing off Harry, she would make it as realistic as possible by slaughtering everyone else!

I was so upset by that! He had his chance at having a family- Sirius would be proven innocent of what he was convicted of. NO! He had to go on the run. THEN he dies within two books, boo! And because there was no body I kept thinking 'he'll appear out of somewhere..' but he didn't! :(

Hedwig was so sad too because it really was the end of his childhood.
    But the little touches made them more upsetting, I voted Dobby because when Harry etches on his gravestone "Here lies Dobby. A free elf." I nearly lost it, I was practically hysterical! :o

That was my favourite part of the book, it was so touching. I was fuming when it wasn't in the movie.
    Dobby's death was probbers the worst for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Within the book, i'd probably tie with Fred and Lupin/Tonks....Fred because it's just out of the blue.... but there is something about parents dead and a orphaned child left behind that strikes a chord with me...very tragic or something like that.

For the film, i'm most looking forward to how they deal with Snape and if they will give his brief (yet important) backstory (and it's end). There is a lot of potential for this last film and hopefully they'll live up to the hype...can't say I was overly impressed with the first installment of the 7th film (not that it was terrible mind!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Has to be Sirius, he wasn't just Harry's father figure but my own.
    The tears didn't end for hours with me.
    Then Dobby, he deserved more than that JK.
    Dobby truly was the purest soul I've had the fortune of meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

For me it was Cedric, not because I particularly liked the character or anything, but that was the moment when I thought "Oh no, bad things are going to happen from now on".

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

For me, it was Fred - I just always gets me more than anything else when writers kill off characters which tend towards being the comic relief, the characters that are usually lighthearted and jokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Dobby's death was awful, Sirius really shocked me too. For some reason though, Fred's death didn't have as much of an impact on me. I never really figured out why... Maybe because the last battle was so fraught with tension that I nearly expected some momentous death...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭XcupcakeX

I was shocked by every death as all the characters were so well written you couldn't help but feel attached to them.
    I was torn between dobby and lupin (not so much tonks for some reason).
    I cried so hard I had to stop reading for both deaths but in the end I voted for dobby.
    Dobby was just so pure and noble

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In the books...
    A toss up between Fred's death and Snape turning out to be good all along.

In the films...
    Definitely Cedric. Just the sheer devastation afterwards when harry returns with the body. and the eerie silence in the crowd. I haven't seen the Half Blood Prince or DH Pt. 1 so i'd be interested to see how they did Dumbledore and Dobby. I didn't like the Sirius death in the films. Not that well done imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

XcupcakeX wrote: »
    I was shocked by every death as all the characters were so well written you couldn't help but feel attached to them.
    I was torn between dobby and lupin (not so much tonks for some reason).
    I cried so hard I had to stop reading for both deaths but in the end I voted for dobby.
    Dobby was just so pure and noble

Totally agree. Cried my eyes out over Dobby. And the scene in the great hall when all the casualties are listed... hard stuff.

I actually had to stop reading the book for about two hours when harry was in the forest with the stone that could bring people back(can't remeber the name off the top of my head). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tonmachine

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Cried my eyes out over Dobby. And the scene in the great hall when all the casualties are listed... hard stuff.

I actually had to stop reading the book for about two hours when harry was in the forest with the stone that could bring people back(can't remeber the name off the top of my head). :)

The Ressurrection Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just finished re reading all seven of them.

The deaths actually really annoy me, the like of Fred/Lupin/Tonks/Creevey/Hedwig all dying at the end is so pointless to the story and badly written. I think she took an axe to so many characters just to limit the extent of possible future side stories etc, little to do with the story more to do with the author.
    They read like she wrote the book and went back and added those bits in for the sake of it.

Just finished re reading all seven of them.

The deaths actually really annoy me, the like of Fred/Lupin/Tonks/Creevey/Hedwig all dying at the end is so pointless to the story and badly written. I think she took an axe to so many characters just to limit the extent of possible future side stories etc, little to do with the story more to do with the author.
    They read like she wrote the book and went back and added those bits in for the sake of it.

Don't agree. In the context of the story the deaths make sense. There's basically a war being fought in Hogwarts towards the end of the seventh book, so for there to be no deaths would be wrong as well. Hedwig's death was probably to prepare the reader for how dark the last book was going to get imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Don't agree. In the context of the story the deaths make sense. There's basically a war being fought in Hogwarts towards the end of the seventh book, so for there to be no deaths would be wrong as well. Hedwig's death was probably to prepare the reader for how dark the last book was going to get imo.

yeah,I'd agree. I think Hedwig's death signified the end of his innocence and childhood.

toodleytoo wrote: »
    yeah,I'd agree. I think Hedwig's death signified the end of his innocence and childhood.

And as well, I think she was trying to make the end a bit like the fifth book, where things somewhat work out (
    In 5, people finally realise Voldemort is back, but Sirius dies. In 7, Voldemort is killed, but a lot of our favourites die, i.e Lupin, Fred, etc.
    ) but it's not a totally stereotypical euphoric victorious ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Dobbys death really got me in the movie. I cried my eyeliner off and had to wait til everyone had left to get my friend to fix it.
    But Sirius' was the shocking one. I was no how can you take him away from Harry.
    But have to say when Harry and Dumbledore were having the conversation and HArry asked Will it hurt? when he died. I sobbed and sobbed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Dobby definitely, he's a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mad eye. I nearly cried. Specially as they called the chapter 'fallen warrior'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Dobby or sirius.. So hard to choose :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement