Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA switch off before you dive off

Options
  • 18-05-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

on the radio the road safety authority are telling us to

'switch off before you drive off'

did a transition year student write this ad....do they think we would turn off our mobile phones during car journeys

cop on rsa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The RSA can fuck off before I drive off

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here's a few more from me:
    Hands free saves the day.
    Loose lips sinks cars.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I only make phone calls on car journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

biko wrote: »
    Here's a few more from me:
    Hands free saves the day.
    Loose lips sinks cars.

When You Ride Alone, You Ride with Hitler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

But it's probably a good idea to switch off before you 'dive' off - water damages mobile phones ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

moonpurple wrote: »

did a transition year student write this ad....do they think we would turn off our mobile phones during car journeys

cop on rsa

OP I heard this advert this morning and I agree with you 100%

biko wrote: »
    Loose lips sinks cars.

only if you're driving up a canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Men cannot drive alone, they need a woman passenger to help them 'slow' down on the roads, get the message boys, not the points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The typo honestly made me think the Water Safety Authority was cautioning against the dangers of electrocution by going swimming with your mobile switched on.

I'd blame Monday but it's Tuesday.

I have my phone switched on when I'm driving, but I ignore it until I'm parked somewhere. Might be an emergency. My sister once drove to Dublin with her mobile off. It was a couple of hours before we were able to contact her to tell her the police were after her - she'd forgotten to pay at a petrol station in Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I sometimes drive without a seatbelt and at twice the speed limit past schools and on my mobile whilst drinking a pint and with bald tires on the car and an expired nct.

and I ALWAYS ARRIVE ALIVE :mad:
    the RSA is just discriminating against me and my life choices. :mad:

but yeah, stupid fúcking idea..as usual, go fúck yourself RSA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

do they think we would turn off our mobile phones during car journeys

cop on rsa

Aye, what were they thinking, trying to convince you to drive safer. The absolute nerve of them.

Aye, what were they thinking, trying to convince you to drive safer. The absolute nerve of them.

do you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

SV wrote: »
    I sometimes drive without a seatbelt and at twice the speed limit past schools and on my mobile whilst drinking a pint and with bald tires on the car and an expired nct.

Let me guess... taxi driver ?

Let me guess... taxi driver ?

yes, but I only drive like that when I have passengers!
    also had the indicators removed to make way for a pint holder

SV wrote: »
    do you drive?

No, but I had my scooter totalled by a driver on a mobile phone going through a red light. luckilly I only ended up rolling over the bonnet instead of being thrown 20 feet like my bike.

what does your phone being turned on have to do with that?

Maybe you have the ability to ignore stuff
    Maybe you have a car kit
    Maybe you put it on silent

etc etc etc

there is no reason to turn a phone off while driving

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im never turning my fone off when driving. If I were to get into a single car accident I might need my phone to ring the emergency services. and well, if my fone is off it takes 30 minutes to come back on. 30 minutes in which I might not have. Suck ma balls rsa.

what does your phone being turned on have to do with that?

Maybe you have the ability to ignore stuff
    Maybe you have a car kit
    Maybe you put it on silent

etc etc etc

there is no reason to turn a phone off while driving

If everyone turned off their phones while driving there would be less accidents.

the RSA is set up to reduce the amount of accidents on our roads through public safety initiatives. While some of their campaigns have been a little ill-advised, I don't think this one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maybe they should check peoples call history after an accident.
    In the same way that (I think?) it's mandatory/standard practice to take a breathalyser after an accident, the guards should check the call history of your phone to see if you've been using it.

The phone companies would have information showing what cell towers the conversation started on, and probably be able to provide a crude trail through eg. Dublin city of your speed/location during the conversation.
    It would be proof that you were driving while on the phone ( assuming there was only one person in the vehicle at the time, otherwise they could say someone else was using the phone ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

cop on rsa

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/accidents-gardai-and-penalties/penalty-points-fixed-charge-offences/index.html

• Advertisement

If everyone turned off their phones while driving there would be less accidents.

No. If people didn't use their phones while driving there would be less accidents. Turning it off is pointless

If I am driving and my phone rings I will pull over if it is important and answer. If it is not important I leave it ring out.

DubMedic wrote: »

Where does it state that you will get points for having your phone turned on?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

But I'm still allowed beep at learners right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    No. If people didn't use their phones while driving there would be less accidents. Turning it off is pointless
    If I am driving and my phone rings I will pull over if it is important and answer. If it is not important I leave it ring out.

Are you pscyhic or do your eyes leave the road and go to your phone to see if it's important or not?

Minstrel27 wrote: »

That's sensible. however, do you disagree that looking at your phone to see who is calling is a distraction? Do you disagree that reducing the amount of distractions would reduce the amount of accidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

So what will be their stance on taxi drivers? We will have to send indian smoke signals to get a taxi now.....

Gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

prinz wrote: »
    Are you pscyhic or do your eyes leave the road and go to your phone to see if it's important or not?

Psychic or not your eyes leave the road in front of you when you look at your passengers while driving esp children, when you look at your radio, when you look in your rear view mirror,side mirrors, blind side...etc part of learning how to drive is to be able to drive safely while looking away to check rear view and blind side mirrors...etc

so what difference does a quick glance to see who's name is flashing up make? as long as you do it safely!;)

i think turning it off is a bit extreme, if you are going to go that far for *safety* you might as well ban, car radio's/Music...passangers (they could be a distraction you know) i mean people can still drive legally with one hand holding food/drink...and yet you are saying its unsafe to glance at a mobile screen???? :rolleyes:

when it comes to mobiles i think they have legislated it enough. and instead maybe concentrate their efforts on improving peoples STANDARD of basic driving and making licences harder to obtain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

the RSA is set up to reduce the amount of accidents on our roads through public safety initiatives. While some of their campaigns have been a little ill-advised, I don't think this one is.

Other things that would reduce accidents;

5 MPH speed limits.

Death penalty for drink driving.

Getting rid of cars.

There is a trade off between practicaliaty (spl?) and safety. Realistically people will not turn off their phones while driving, the money spent on this campaign could have been used to encourage hands free kits, or even subsidise the fecking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Psychic or not your eyes leave the road in front of you when you look at your passengers while driving esp children, when you look at your radio, when you look in your rear view mirror,side mirrors, blind side...etc part of learning how to drive is to be able to drive safely while looking away to check rear view and blind side mirrors...etc.

Checking your mirrors is part of safe driving. The RSA is hardly going to advocate driving as a solitary pursuit either. It's a bit much to get knickers in a twist because they actually come up with sensible proposals. If you don't need your phone - switch it off, going to be on a journey of a few minutes - switch it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Im never turning my fone off when driving. If I were to get into a single car accident I might need my phone to ring the emergency services. and well, if my fone is off it takes 30 minutes to come back on. 30 minutes in which I might not have. Suck ma balls rsa.

30 minutes?

Sounds like a phone from the dinosaur era :P

Advertisement