Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nights out with people off the internet

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cheers for the info folks, I can't attend the next one but may well attend the following AH event :)

No problem.

I was at only one "AH" beers, but they seem to be the replacement for Boards-wide events, and the crowd was really mixed. Slightly more fellas than girls though, which is normal for an internet meet-up anywhere I'd say.

In fact, I'd say the crowd at that was definitely in the mid 20s-mid 30s range.

The reason for that, I think, is that the 18-23 crowd are not as confident of going into a group of people they've not met before, while the 25-35 crowd are probably more likely to be at a loose end, given that some of their "real friends" will be coupled up, people out of long term relationships they were in since their early 20s that broke up etc etc, also, more confidence in going to these type of things.

It took me something like 4 years of posting on here before I went to a beers, and Boards was much smaller than it is now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    Boards-wide events, and the crowd was really mixed. Slightly more fellas than girls though, which is normal for an internet meet-up anywhere I'd say.

Except for the Ladies Loung who have banned men from events in a pathetic,childish move.
    I lol'd when i noticed the failure of thier "women's only" dancing meet-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Degsy wrote: »
    Except for the Ladies Loung who have banned men from events in a pathetic,childish move.

You're such a creep Degsy. It's people men like you who made them create that rule. Showing up to get a ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yeah, but women can ban men from such events and not worry about it as men are everywhere gagging for vagina and wimminz be knowing it.

If men could go out in gangs and know for sure that groups of cock hungry women would inevitably be eyeing them up, they'd be at the same craic.

Course, I have that problem anyway, but not all men be as lucky as me ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i lol'ed when this failed and they all went to the AH beers instead:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm ok with it, I can still go.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Des wrote: »
    No problem.

I was at only one "AH" beers, but they seem to be the replacement for Boards-wide events, and the crowd was really mixed. Slightly more fellas than girls though, which is normal for an internet meet-up anywhere I'd say.

In fact, I'd say the crowd at that was definitely in the mid 20s-mid 30s range.

The reason for that, I think, is that the 18-23 crowd are not as confident of going into a group of people they've not met before, while the 25-35 crowd are probably more likely to be at a loose end, given that some of their "real friends" will be coupled up, people out of long term relationships they were in since their early 20s that broke up etc etc, also, more confidence in going to these type of things.

It took me something like 4 years of posting on here before I went to a beers, and Boards was much smaller than it is now.

At the last AH beers there were as many girls as guys...possibly more actually! A group of them came from tLL and there was a big enough amount of people in their early 20s there too. I'd say the dominating agegroup was 25-30, but still a really good mix!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

irishbird wrote: »
    i lol'ed when this failed and they all went to the AH beers instead:rolleyes:

Yeah,that was funny alrite..the only reason most of them ever went to beers was to ogle the men..ban the men and there's nothing to do...i'd say certain miltant man haters got thier knickers in a twist over the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm ok with it, I can still go.

The Ladies Lounge people didn't sex you yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

At the last AH beers there were as many girls as guys...possibly more actually!

I'm still shocked over that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's odd when people know my username by just seeing me :D :pac:
    At the last AH beers there were as many girls as guys...possibly more actually! A group of them came from tLL and there was a big enough amount of people in their early 20s there too. I'd say the dominating agegroup was 25-30, but still a really good mix!
    I must go to this "AH" beers...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

the_syco wrote: »
    It's odd when people know my username by just seeing me :D :pac:

*Whispers creepily*

I'm right behind you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I'm kind of from the school of thought that whats on the internet is best left there and that includes people, so it wouldn't really be my thing.

I think you're from a school of thought that's a bit dated at this point. The line between someone 'from the internet' and someone 'not from the internet' is increasingly blurred.

For instance, a number of my friends are housemates. These are from flatshares I found on daft.ie. So essentially I moved in with 'strangers from the internet.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

She won't be happy!:eek:
    Ooops!

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

This is why I love after hours.

:D

The one time I get post of the day my internet is broke and I can't get online to see my name up there. FML!

A thanks-whore's dream, SHATTERED! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone ever go to one these beer nite thingys for internet people without actually knowing any of them?

Most of people on here seem like would be a laugh but ya would feel like a spa turning up and being like uhhh hi im angerfist........... :p

I know the next AH beers is on June 26th but ive a date with Stevie Wonder that night :)

And anyway i dunno if i could just break into a group of people drinkin on me own if i dont know ANY of them Ha i have never done that always had least one person i knew.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Anyone ever go to one these beer nite thingys for internet people without actually knowing any of them?

Most of people on here seem like would be a laugh but ya would feel like a spa turning up and being like uhhh hi im angerfist........... :p

I know the next AH beers is on June 26th but ive a date with Stevie Wonder that night :)

And anyway i dunno if i could just break into a group of people drinkin on me own if i dont know ANY of them Ha i have never done that always had least one person i knew.
    Well thats the whole point of beers, everyone has a "first time" and once you get over it you either decide this is not for me and continue posting on boards, or decide "this is fupping awesome" and continue posting on boards...50/50 situation. My first ever beers was with around 120+ people back when the beers were site-wide events, and I was pretty young at 21/22...talk about nervous and not having met anyone there in RL before...*

Beers are usually fun events, for drinkers and non-drinkers alike who just love good company. And about "not knowing anyone?" sure you recognise names here, posters who catch your attention and people you'd like to meet at a beers...just keep an eye out and decide in your own time:)

*That first beers was very good btw and got to meet many people I still see posting here today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well thats the whole point of beers, everyone has a "first time" and once you get over it you either decide this is not for me and continue posting on boards, or decide "this is fupping awesome" and continue posting on boards...50/50 situation. My first ever beers was with around 120+ people back when the beers were site-wide events, and I was pretty young at 21/22...talk about nervous and not having met anyone there in RL before...*
    If you read between the lines he's actually talking about losing his anal cherry which is what really happens at these beers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

ScumLord wrote: »
    If you read between the lines he's actually talking about losing his anal cherry which is what really happens at these beers.
    Sshhhhhhhh........

......we know that'll happen at Stevie Wonder's backstage party instead:pac:

Ya maybe ill go sometime ya never know whats the harm sure :-)
    Main problem for me would be how feck would u just break in to the group when more then likely most them would know each other.

Thats why im sayin be handy if u even talked to someone online who was going to stuff like this.

I mean once i got talkin people id be grand never had a problem makin conversation just being one odd one out in group of people who act like best mates is very ehhhhhh :p

• Advertisement

Sshhhhhhhh........

......we know that'll happen at Stevie Wonder's backstage party instead:pac:

Blind mans buff?

Ya maybe ill go sometime ya never know whats the harm sure :-)
    Main problem for me would be how feck would u just break in to the group when more then likely most them would know each other.

Thats why im sayin be handy if u even talked to someone online who was going to stuff like this.

I mean once i got talkin people id be grand never had a problem makin conversation just being one odd one out in group of people who act like best mates is very ehhhhhh :p

At the last one there were loads of people who were chatting in the beers thread who'd never been to beers before, so people arranged to meet up in groups of 2 or 3 beforehand for a drink, or even just down the road from the pub so they wouldn't have to walk in on their own :D Once the venue and everything is decided, just get talking to people in the thread, there'll more than likely be people in the same situation as you!

At the last one there were loads of people who were chatting in the beers thread who'd never been to beers before, so people arranged to meet up in groups of 2 or 3 beforehand for a drink, or even just down the road from the pub so they wouldn't have to walk in on their own :D Once the venue and everything is decided, just get talking to people in the thread, there'll more than likely be people in the same situation as you!

Sound sound good idea ah well maybe ill head into the unknown ha next time if im free never know might even enjoy it! :p

And if theres no one around my age *24* grand cause for some reason women in there 30s seems to have a thing for me!!!! :confused::p

Sound sound good idea ah well maybe ill head into the unknown ha next time if im free never know might even enjoy it! :p

And if theres no one around my age *24* grand cause for some reason women in there 30s seems to have a thing for me!!!! :confused::p

/awaits Abi

There's a really mixed age group. I've only been to one and the ages ranged from 18-40s, with the majority probably being mid-late 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Have never even considered going before.

Recently found out a mate of mine is always attending Boards meet-ups and says they're awesome!

But i think this is what would happen:

*MrStuffins enters*

Me: Hi there

Random Boardsie: Hi, so what is your Username?

Me: I'm MrStuffins

Random Boardsie: Who? Lads, who the f*ck in MrStuffins? Oh, you're that c*nt!

*MrStuffins draws nunchucks from back-pocket. Chaos ensues! Becomes subscriber, changes Username to Clint Norris/Chuck Eastwood*

Advertisement