Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LongZ wrote: »
    Ciderman, there's a ton of game & watch and other goodies going for auction soon :

http://www.sheffieldauctiongallery.com/Catalogues/ss271114/page010.html

Is it just me or are those valuations crazy low?

Some possible bargains to be had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is it just me or are those valuations crazy low?

Some possible bargains to be had there.

All of them have 21% VAT on after the hammer price :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want so many but have no money :(
    I'll just have to accept it'll just be me and near thousand games and 60 odd systems to get by on..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone got any tips on the snes region mod. As in just loosening and lifting pin 4.
    Im off for a few days but my soldering iron is in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on the snes region mod. As in just loosening and lifting pin 4.
    Im off for a few days but my soldering iron is in work.

I use a small pointed-tip on the iron, & a small sewing needle then to prise the leg of the chip up, works fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Myrddin wrote: »
    I use a small pointed-tip on the iron, & a small sewing needle then to prise the leg of the chip up, works fine

Ah thanks, following your tips from an earlier thread, the pin is a lot smaller than i expected ;)

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ah thanks, following your tips from an earlier thread, the pin is a lot smaller than i expected ;)

Yeah initially it can seem quite small & awkward to get at, the ppu pins are even finer but there's better access to them I find

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I got a VB off Urbanledge a while back, and he fixed the lens glitching by using the oven trick. About 10 - 12 months later, one of the lens started acting up again, so I took it apart and did it myself, all good.

From reading a bit on the Planet Virtual Boy forums, it seems that the ribbon cables on these sensors can be permanentely soldered into place, and continuing to heat the glue to refix the ribbon can eventually destroy the join.

I was talking with a guy in Holland, who will do the solder fix for me for €25, plus €11 to send them back registered post. While mine is back working I plan on sending them to him in the New Year to get it sorted for good.

If anyone ever wants to use him to get this done, pm me and I'll forward on his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Just came across this guys blog. Looks like he mods the Nes and N64 actual games. No idea how he does it but looks good.

Some really cool stuff like making Peach Castle in Super Mario64 a multiplayer map in Goldeneye. Give it a whirl!

http://sogunstudio.blogspot.ie/2011/07/english-language.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Packing up the Amiga for hibernation this morning and decided to check the battery.. just it time by the looks of it too.

16058824249_17ddfe1b0f_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Here's another mod I'm working on - converting an arcade time crisis gun for use with a PS2 with working recoil :)

16057573340_17920206bf_z.jpg

Master of the Universe

This is turning out to be most excellent! Fair play! :)

I was originally thinking of respraying the foot plate but it looks great as is against the resprayed red casing.

Can't fecking wait to give it a go!

How fast to you want the autofire ? Its about 3 per second now but can run faster.

Really need to get a new microswitch for the trigger though, current one is very intermittent...

Master of the Universe

This calls for accuracy! /breaks out the metronome :D

I'm just trying to work out the ROF for the submachine gun in Time Crisis 3 from this video.

You have rapid fire from the very opening of the game. (and this guy is using it from the start)

It seems to be about 6 per second?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Neeerds!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Neeerds!

I agree :D

Master of the Universe

Neeerds!

You'll be glad of it when you're blasting baddies on autofire with arcade accuracy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a modded Mega Drive... or have my own one modded. I've switched to 60hz on my SNES and NES games and playing 50hz, bordered Mega Drive games now just feels wrong. Just wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction towards somewhere I could get it done?

I've checked out the DIY videos online but I've got no technical skills at all and I'd rather not destroy a nice Mega Drive by trying myself :-)

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a modded Mega Drive... or have my own one modded. I've switched to 60hz on my SNES and NES games and playing 50hz, bordered Mega Drive games now just feels wrong. Just wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction towards somewhere I could get it done?

I've checked out the DIY videos online but I've got no technical skills at all and I'd rather not destroy a nice Mega Drive by trying myself :-)

We have a whole forum devoted to the topic of console modification,
    Services are also in there so you can hook up with a person of skills to do the work for you.
    Link

We have a whole forum devoted to the topic of console modification,
    Services are also in there so you can hook up with a person of skills to do the work for you.
    Link

Prob won't find too many modders in there of retro consoles Cidey, in fact that thread & forum have died off big time in recent months/years.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Prob won't find too many modders in there of retro consoles Cidey, in fact that thread & forum have died off big time in recent months/years.

Now that is a pity, would it be possible to integrate such retro services here, or in the Marketplace?

Now that is a pity, would it be possible to integrate such retro services here, or in the Marketplace?

Not a bad idea Cidey, leave it with me & I'll have a think about what we'd need to do:)

Some nice chap has dumped and repackaged the G-Net modbios so no need to pay ridiculous fees to get a board modded anymore.

Master of the Universe

About time! I was amazed at how little info there was out there about it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    About time! I was amazed at how little info there was out there about it.

The guy that was doing the mod was charge €120 a board which is fairly excessive and from reading various threads it wasn't all he's own work either that he was charging for.

So ya the bios and flasher utility are now available on the interwebby. Must buy a suitable eprom now and give it a try.

Some nice chap has dumped and repackaged the G-Net modbios so no need to pay ridiculous fees to get a board modded anymore.

So, you just get the existing BIOS flashed with the modded one?

Pretty much.

If you've a stock bios on it you need to (temporarily) install an EPROM with the new bios on it and when it boots the new bios is permanently written to the GNET.

The ERPOM can now be removed and passed on to the next GNET :)

It's a 2009 version that's been released. The paid for version is 2011 so not entirely sure how much extra goodness is the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Majora's Mask special edition from GS:
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203DS/Games/47132/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-special-edition

€80 for the above.
    Nothing on the console as yet.

Majora's Mask special edition from GS:
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203DS/Games/47132/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-special-edition

€80 for the above.
    Nothing on the console as yet.

Consoles went up on the system this morning but not up on website yet. There available for preorder in store though.

• Advertisement

Pretty great coverage of this on the Nintendo forum here.
    It seems plain though, bricks and mortar are charging a 12.5% tax of a sort over online vendors.

Advertisement