Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well, after a little bit of soldering and cleaning of the internals I now have that faulty Astro Wars back together and working fine.
    It's been in pieces on my workbench for the last week and a bit but I decided that it needed to be put back together tonight(gotta stop putting stuff off :)).

Anyway, I'll do up some sort of tutorial and stick it over on retrovia at some stage as I have a feeling most "non working" Astro Wars you see online can be fixed the same way I did it. It's dead easy and only requires the most basic of soldering skills and you're done. I took all the parts out and cleaned them (including the various layers of transparent plastic) but that bit is entirely optional.
    So for .99p and some cheap(ish) postage(would of been free if I'd used Parcel Motel) I have a nice working Astro Wars (it's actually up for trade at the moment).

So if you see a non working one knocking around ebay or elsewhere grab it as it might just be a 2 min fix to get it up and running.

Double the fun :)
    clickable
    dsc2976bb.jpg

90% of the time I've had a non working VFD game , using a dremel/multitool to sand off corroded battery acid off the contacts has had it working within minutes.
    Astro Wars is great (sold my one off a while back :()

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Dr Bob wrote: »
    90% of the time I've had a non working VFD game , using a dremel/multitool to sand off corroded battery acid off the contacts has had it working within minutes.
    Astro Wars is great (sold my one off a while back :()

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked as I could power it via a PSU but not batteries. But it was an internal issue that was easy to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

My arcade machine's screen, the lamp above it and the speakers... "flicker" at random but frequent times, anyone have any idea what could cause this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My arcade machine's screen, the lamp above it and the speakers... "flicker" at random but frequent times, anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Common item would be the PSU?

Yeah I swapped that with another I bought from Mitch and that doesn't fix it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked as I could power it via a PSU but not batteries. But it was an internal issue that was easy to fix.

So whats the fix! :) I have a broken one here, it powers on for a second, makes a weird sound then dies.

Anyone have any idea why my Spectrum +2 PSU (rated 9v) is outputting 12v...?
    Smoke has emitted from the +2...... (having said that, I just bought it and it probably hasn't been turned on in many many years...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If its an unregulated power supply then you need a load across it before you can measure the actually voltage being supplied.

Not sure if these supplies are regulated or not though but considering its Amstrad you can be certain that every expense was spared...

That said, smoke is always bad...

Hi guys working on a pcb and I removed a cap I suspected was damaged. There's no visible sign of explosion but it's leaking a bit from underneath and smells a bit funny... Is this normal or does it need to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hi guys working on a pcb and I removed a cap I suspected was damaged. There's no visible sign of explosion but it's leaking a bit from underneath and smells a bit funny... Is this normal or does it need to be replaced?

Caps emitting a smell is usually a bad sign that either it's about to pop soon or has previously popped.

• Advertisement

Anything that leaks a bit and smells funny is usually a bit sign - including old relations.

It can also be resin on the board burning away

Hmm that's also a possibility.. Seems that the leakage is coming from within the cap though, strange... Is there a way to test caps? 50v 1000uF

Hmm that's also a possibility.. Seems that the leakage is coming from within the cap though, strange... Is there a way to test caps? 50v 1000uF

If its coming from the cap, just replace it...once you see signs of leakage you should replace immediately before any damage is done

EnterNow wrote: »
    If its coming from the cap, just replace it...once you see signs of leakage you should replace immediately before any damage is done

Yeah I'll fly down to Maplin now and get a few spares.. Waiting on those spare resistors from radionics so thanks for that! :)

I'v ordered some alcohol (by it's chemical name... iso-something-or-other) to clean off the burn

Yeah I'll fly down to Maplin now and get a few spares.. Waiting on those spare resistors from radionics so thanks for that! :)

I'v ordered some alcohol (by it's chemical name... iso-something-or-other) to clean off the burn

Isopropinol?

Methylamine?

Achilles wrote: »
    Isopropinol?

Yeah that stuff!
    I just hope it's burn and not burned PCB

Carlsberg ?

The closest thing I can get to 1000uF at 50v is 1000uF at 63v... Will this make a significant difference? I'd rather not put it in if there's a chance of damaging ICs...

• Advertisement

The closest thing I can get to 1000uF at 50v is 1000uF at 63v... Will this make a significant difference? I'd rather not put it in if there's a chance of damaging ICs...

Using a higher voltage rating electrolytic cap is fine (within reason). The 63v should be about the same size as the older 50v one as well.

Using a higher voltage rating electrolytic cap is fine (within reason). The 63v should be about the same size as the older 50v one as well.

Agreed, its fine. I done two cap kits on my arcade monitor chassis' & sometimes they give you a higher rated one if the exact one isn't available

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

Hey, not sure if this is the right thread or not but could anyone tell me the best place to get a power supply for a megadrive?

Has anyone got a proven Retrobrite recipe they're willing to share?

Edit - actually I forgot you really need a UV lamp setup for it to work. Can anyone give a console of mine the retrobrite treatment instead??

Has anyone got a proven Retrobrite recipe they're willing to share?

Edit - actually I forgot you really need a UV lamp setup for it to work. Can anyone give a console of mine the retrobrite treatment instead??

Isn't leaving it out in sunlight supposed to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Maragenie

How's things.

This mightn't be the best place to ask this question but at this point I'm desperate. I have this old NSM jukebox that I bought off Ebay there going back a few years, Jukebox was working perfect when I received it but soon after mounting it on the wall it started to smoke out and hasn't worked since.

I'm getting power and all that but the CD starts up and spin the wrong way, then they stop and I get an error message.

Does anyone know where or who I might talk to in terms of getting it repaired?

All the best

Mara :P

Achilles wrote: »
    Isn't leaving it out in sunlight supposed to work?

Have you looked outside lately? :p

Have you looked outside lately? :p

What is this outside of which you speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've tried a few different mixes of retr0brite. Not made one up in a while now but the standard mix works well in my experience (depending on what you're cleaning up that is).
    I've a UV lamp thing I use for the job that you can borrow if you like Enternow.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

• Advertisement

I've tried a few different mixes of retr0brite. Not made one up in a while now but the standard mix works well in my experience (depending on what you're cleaning up that is).
    I've a UV lamp thing I use for the job that you can borrow if you like Enternow.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

Cool, will have a look into the process & procuring the ingredients. Cheers for the offer of the lamp too man :)

Advertisement