Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think a time machine will ever, realistically be built?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Reading this thread is like time travel.
    Every page, I think "Didn't I just read this on the last page?"
    Time loop/groundhog day kinda stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

pwd wrote: »
    Reading this thread is like time travel.
    Every page, I think "Didn't I just read this on the last page?"
    Time loop/groundhog day kinda stuff..

I would give my life savings to go back and live in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I'll tell you last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Marty: I have to tell you about the future.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Going back to the poster who said we don't have time travellers because we haven't invented a time machine yet - like a one way telephone. Say I invent the phone, I have the transmitter in my hand and a cable sticking out of it. But the cable goes nowhere, who hears what I say? The receiver isn't there so my signals effectively dissapear.

I wtached a documentary that explained the very same principle. It covered a dude who thinks he's onto a great idea: a concentric cylinder of lasers which can bend timespace and allow effective time travel (for small objects, notes, data tramsmissions). The problem is it hasn't been finished yet, therefore no time travel can take place. If it works, think of it's switch-on date as year 0 for time travel...

Or else multiple universes. With evil moustachioed Spocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Mary Harney can be in two time zones at the same time, explain that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

I would give my life savings to go back and live in the 80's.

Why ?

You did'nt miss that much, honestly , I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

"I wtached a documentary that explained the very same principle. It covered a dude who thinks he's onto a great idea: a concentric cylinder of lasers which can bend timespace and allow effective time travel (for small objects, notes, data tramsmissions). The problem is it hasn't been finished yet, therefore no time travel can take place. If it works, think of it's switch-on date as year 0 for time travel..."

Bang on his name is Ron Mallett and he is a professor for physics so he is no crackpot. lasers is a great idea to build a time machine as they are high energy and seem alot more practcal than trying to reach faster than light speeds or build black holes. i reckon it may be centuries before its built though if we survive that long

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We have a time machine here, if you travel to Offaly you automatically go back about 20 years :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

robbie02 wrote: »
    Bang on his name is Ron Mallett and he is a professor for physics so he is no crackpot. lasers is a great idea to build a time machine as they are high energy and seem alot more practcal than trying to reach faster than light speeds or build black holes. i reckon it may be centuries before its built though if we survive that long

If they invent the damn thing, that's not going to be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I think it was only copies of particles that had been transmitted, not teleported. The original remained.

But that doesn't take into account quantum physics uncertainty principle.
    You can only know where a particle is, or where it's going, but not both with 100% accuracy.

Internally, your body is in constant motion.
    If someone could copy all your atoms and duplicate it 1km away, then they couldn't tell what direction all your atoms were supposed to go in.
    They need to know some direction, because if they "stopped" all your atoms, while reconstructing you then stopped atoms = cold / absolute zero.
    Heat is really just the kenetic energy in atoms.
    The cold would cause ice crystals in your cells, freezing you to death immediately.

So you can have a mixture of knowing the position of particles, or their location, or a mixture of the two, but not know both completely.

I think teleportation will be limited to inanimate objects, and even then it will be like a 3D fax machine, much like a replicator in Star Trek.

Ice crystals would not be formed at instant absolute zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

latenia wrote: »
    It's impossible because time is a physical property within objects rather than an external force. Going back is impossible because it no longer exists and the future doesn't exist yet.

God Murderer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I cant remember what programme it was on and what the basis of the science was but Time Travel is perfectly possible but only from the time the machine is built. From that time on you can go forwards and backwards in time but only backwards to the point when the machine was first built. It might have been on QI were they explained it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'd love to go back in time, find myself and suck my own dick.. just for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I'd love to go back in time, find myself and suck my own dick.. just for the laugh.

You live up to your user name anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

This can be achieved with out a time machine, you just need to do a few stretches to limber up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

http://www.bspcn.com/2010/08/18/i-am-you-from-the-future/

Advertisement