Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Listening To... (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Malice wrote: »

There should be a Thumbs Down button introduced for stuff like that .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

While the endless invention of sub genres does get a bit tiring, there are some great songs to be found.

Forget sub genres, it's more that I can't see any elements of this music that could even be considered metal or rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Cill94 wrote: »
    Forget sub genres, it's more that I can't see any elements of this music that could even be considered metal or rock.
    Yeah, who's ever heard screamed vocals, double-bass drum beats or heavily-distorted electric guitar in metal or rock? :rolleyes: Why don't you just call it as it is and say that you don't like the synth aspects of it. At least that would have some credibility.

• Advertisement

Yeah, who's ever heard screamed vocals, double-bass drum beats or heavily-distorted electric guitar in metal or rock? :rolleyes: Why don't you just call it as it is and say that you don't like the synth aspects of it. At least that would have some credibility.

Where are those vocals, drums and guitar again? All I can hear is about 30 seconds of a sample squashed in between synth and the rest has been heavily remixed i.e. It's just dubstep, no longer metal. Credibility would be posting this in the electronic music forum. :rolleyes: And I like plenty of synth in metal. But this is basically all synth and 'wah-wah-wah'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

Opening for Lamb of God in Belfast .... Dublin maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

1291899946_000-cover-stat6.jpg

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

All I can hear is about 30 seconds of a sample squashed in between synth and the rest has been heavily remixed
    Ah so you can hear elements of rock & metal then? That's a start, I won't have to go back through the videos to pick them out for you :).
    Cill94 wrote:
    Credibility would be posting this in the electronic music forum.
    Given that it straddles a couple of genres then it's suitable for either forum but I don't think your use of the word credibility is quite right in that context.
    Cill94 wrote:
    this is basically all synth and 'wah-wah-wah'.
    On a purely simplistic level you could of course dismiss it like that but then you could just as easily say that metal is basically all guitars, drums, bass and vocals.
    Cill94 wrote:
    I like plenty of synth in metal
    Such as?

• Advertisement

Ah so you can hear elements of rock & metal then? That's a start, I won't have to go back through the videos to pick them out for you :).

Given that it straddles a couple of genres then it's suitable for either forum but I don't think your use of the word credibility is quite right in that context.

On a purely simplistic level you could of course dismiss it like that but then you could just as easily say that metal is basically all guitars, drums, bass and vocals.

Such as?

30 seconds of guitar isn't enough for me to call it rock/metal. That would be like calling Fleshgod Apocalypse classical music because a few songs have some classical segments. I think it's a grand context. e.g. I don't think you're reasoning for this being considered more than dubstep is credible. And I couldn't agree more. Metal basically IS all guitars, drums, bass and vocals; which are a few things the vid you posted is clearly missing (other than the 30 seconds I mentioned, which isn't enough to justify it to me).

Anyway, don't take it to heart mate. I'm not one who sets out to create big off-topic arguments and I'm more than willing to admit that I'm biased and that I strongly dislike the whole dubstep genre and feel that it mixing with metal is nothing short of an abomination. But, I also haven't (unsurprisingly) exactly delved into the whole 'deathstep' genre, and perhaps there are bands who use more rock/metal elements. Only other I've heard is Korn, and that was ****e. :p

As for metal I enjoy that incorporates synthesisers/keyboards: Burzum, Emperor, Summoning, Children Of Bodom (some stuff), Rhapsody, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Ghost (not sure if those last 2 count as I'm pretty sure they use a piano and organ respectively). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

gettin psyched for the gig on wednesday!!!! :D

I'm biased and that I strongly dislike the whole dubstep genre and feel that it mixing with metal is nothing short of an abomination.
    See now if you'd just said that in the beginning...:pac:
    Cill94 wrote:
    Anyway, don't take it to heart mate.
    Trust me, I don't take anything to heart on this site.

Only a few hours to go to the Dublin show.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

When stuff like this comes up on random play I don't mind the morning commuter traffic as much:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Serious bass drop around the 3 minute mark in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Its rifftastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

...auditory hallucinations... pulsating colour... buzzing white noise... sounds like a hundred bees...

I came across this song on a compilation album. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the band is that the singer sounds like a Russian Zack de la Rocha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Advertisement