Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter-Protest on the 18th.

Options
  • 15-05-2010 8:00pm

Ok, so I'd like to get one going for the 18th. We won't march the whole way but we can work out maybe an O' Connell St. counter-protest to the union/leftist driven "anti-bank bailout" protest. We won't follow the full route up to the Dáil because I feel we will be putting ourselves in a potentially dangerous situation.

Make no mistake that these people do not have our best interests at heart. By our best interests I mean the silent majority in this country who want to see the deficit cut, and for us to return to growth and job creation levels to rise. These people see the Greek rioters as champions of their rights - The rest of us sensible people can see them for what they are.

What will we be protesting for?
    Well, firstly we will support government (any government) cutbacks in order to decrease our deficit substantially. Cutbacks to welfare and PS budgets. We will be protesting against the threats that have been made against this country by the unions, who think they can hold us all to ransom to get what they want to the detriment of the rest of us and future generations. We will be for a sensible fiscal policy that will see our country dig itself out of the hole it's in now and will set us on a steady course for the future.

Now we can add more to the list, I'm open to suggestions. I don't care how many people show up, if there's 3 of us or if there's 100 - the point is to make ourselves heard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why not hold your "protest" on any other date? You are potentially inviting trouble if you go on Tuesday. You will also have a better chance of getting more of the silent majority to support you when the chance of conflict is absent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

So you're protesting in support of what the government are doing, or not doing as the case may be? which isn't really a protest. If you're protesting against anything it's against the people that are protesting.

Can't really see a whole lot of people turning up to just say 'we support what you're doing, keep going'.

And I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of people in the country that are against the bailouts amongst other things. There's a lot of people trying to survive on welfare alone, and I think that if you were one of them you wouldn't be saying it needs to be cut. I'd be fairly sure there's at least 435,000 people that would disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While I get your well meant intentions ...have you not noticed the irony in trying to gather those wo do not want to be associated with "the beards" under the banner of "pro Biffo & the banks" ?

Good luck with that :D

Oh it defo wouldn't be pro-biffo and the banks. I can see why it could be construed that way though. Hmmm. Well the floor (thread) is open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Why not hold your "protest" on any other date? You are potentially inviting trouble if you go on Tuesday. You will also have a better chance of getting more of the silent majority to support you when the chance of conflict is absent.

Personally I'd love to see Rojo and his crowd organise their "counter demo".

If trouble were to kick off, I'd be only too pleased to engage with him and his kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

hinault wrote: »

If trouble were to kick off, I'd be only too pleased to engage with him and his kind.

Less of this kind of thing - if you want to fight, go behind the bicycle sheds.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

hinault wrote: »

So you can protest for what you want, but a protest you disagree with and you would like to see it dealt with violently?

Why am I not surprised.

Ok it's safe to say that this won't be happening. Which is a pity. Perhaps the opportunity will arise again when the unions/extreme leftists aren't using and issue such as the bank bailouts as a vehicle for their propaganda.

Let's see what these morons do on Tuesday...hopefully the gardai have learned their lesson from last time and a few heads are cracked if they even attempt to get into the Dáil and attack our democracy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    ......hopefully the gardai have learned their lesson from last time and a few heads are cracked if they even attempt to get into the Dáil and attack our democracy again.

I don't like the tone of this, especially considering what has gone on in the Dáil for the last few years has been as undemocratic as it goes.

If you're that worried about democracy, how about organising a protest to demand the three denied by-elections be held ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness if the protesters try to get into the Dail and they are refused this time they should back off if they are any kind of decent people.

Have your protest etc, but keep it peaceful and do it outside the dail.

If you try to get in and go up against the Gardai, well then I will support the Gardai and let them go for it on the protestors. You been told to back off and if you dont listen well take the consequences.

And whoever is the organiser of this march, I hope to see him/she running in the next election otherwise he/she is just another all mouth person and likes the hero light on him/her for awhile.

And I hope this isnt the same person that posts in the comment section of the metro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

So you can protest for what you want, but a protest you disagree with and you would like to see it dealt with violently?

Why am I not surprised.

And in your very next post.....

Let's see what these morons do on Tuesday...hopefully the gardai have learned their lesson from last time and a few heads are cracked if they even attempt to get into the Dáil and attack our democracy again.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

OP cites himself as speaking for 'the silent majority'. Just can't take him or his idea seriously after that, back to bar stool/indo letters page with you!.

@ funk: If these cretins think it's ok to assault our house of parliament then yes, I hope they are met with the full force of the Gardai. Where am I saying that the protesters should be harmed if they are not breaking the law?

@ invincible: I honestly do think, or at least would hope that the majority of this country would be in favour of balancing our budget and not returning to the same situation we faced in the 80's. There's a lot of people who just want Ireland to become competative so that jobs can be created and they can just get back to work in a flourishing economy. The majority of this country doesn't feel ENTITLED to a wealthy existance, they expect to have a chance to earn it.

It's the basis of modern liberal democracies. If you don't like it then you could always move to China or Cuba instead of trying to run this country into the ground under the weight of some of the most expensive public servants and welfare in the world. I mean, why keep pretending that we're rich? We're not. It's time to face facts and get daddy to stop running up his credit card debt so we can buy fancy new trainers.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I don't like the tone of this, especially considering what has gone on in the Dáil for the last few years has been as undemocratic as it goes.

If you're that worried about democracy, how about organising a protest to demand the three denied by-elections be held ?

Liam, if you like the idea of people taking to the streets and rioting in protest of a government finally acting sensibly and making NECESSARY cutbacks, then I suggest a country like Greece might be more to your liking.

Where were the protesters when the Gov was running up the Welfare/PS bills?

I 100% disagreed with NAMA from the start, but to be honest it's not nearly as bad was what these extreme leftists would do if they had the chance. It's a necessary evil, while not the most palatable, it simply had to be done.

The REAL elephant in the room is our massive deficit. The only problem is this involves people's "entitlements" being reduced, and they cannot accept this. It's akin to throwing a tantrum because dad won't buy you a PS3 for your birthday, but he bought your sister a pony when times were better.

edit: Oh, and these protests are no more about NAMA than my cat is a unicorn. Have you seen the posters? No cutbacks? What then? Lets all just pay 80% tax so poor auld maire doesn't take a hit on her pension. It's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Ok it's safe to say that this won't be happening. Which is a pity. Perhaps the opportunity will arise again when the unions/extreme leftists aren't using and issue such as the bank bailouts as a vehicle for their propaganda.

:D:D

Like it ever was ffs.

:D:D

Like it ever was ffs.

Don't worry, when taxes are going up to keep the PS/Welfare recipients in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to, you'll see the counter protests.

I shall keep trying though, I still care enough about this country and don't want to have to leave.

Don't worry, when taxes are going up to keep the PS/Welfare recipients in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to, you'll see the counter protests.

No it wont though. There aren't enough mealy mouthed malcotents like yourself to organise a march to cut social welfare. Every time there is a protest that can loosely be described as left wing, these anti-FF cronyism actions, the 150,000 who marched against Iraq etc, someone always suggests that there should be a counter demo. Then they realise that they can't rustle up two men and a dog and it fizzles out.

No it wont though. There aren't enough mealy mouthed malcotents like yourself to organise a march to cut social welfare. Every time there is a protest that can loosely be described as left wing, these anti-FF cronyism actions, the 150,000 who marched against Iraq etc, someone always suggests that there should be a counter demo. Then they realise that they can't rustle up two men and a dog and it fizzles out.

So being FOR a sensible fiscal policy, FOR sorting out our deficit, AGAINST running the country into the ground means I'm FOR the Iraq war, FOR FF cronyism etc?

Get real.

So being FOR a sensible fiscal policy, FOR sorting out our deficit, AGAINST running the country into the ground means I'm FOR the Iraq war, FOR FF cronyism etc?

Get real.

We are ALL for the sensible fiscal polict and sorting out the deficit. But which is the bigger cause, Anglo and NAMA or the social welfare bill? Which is a cherished and needed system, which is the FF stroke?

Like I say, have your demo, its your right, but prepare yourself for the fact that you will get no-one out because you are looking at it backwards.

We are ALL for the sensible fiscal polict and sorting out the deficit. But which is the bigger cause, Anglo and NAMA or the social welfare bill? Which is a cherished and needed system, which is the FF stroke?

Like I say, have your demo, its your right, but prepare yourself for the fact that you will get no-one out because you are looking at it backwards.

The PS/SW bill is most definitely a bigger threat to this country than NAMA and Anglo.

• Advertisement

The PS/SW bill is most definitely a bigger threat to this country than NAMA and Anglo.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

But up to 5,000 people will march tomorrow against the bailouts and you couldn't organise one other to march with you.

Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The PS/SW bill needs to be negotiated and agreed, through no-one's "fault".....it's required.

NAMA and Anglo, on the other hand.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I shall keep trying though, I still care enough about this country and don't want to have to leave.

That says all that needs to be said about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I hate to be crabby but is there some reason why people conveniently forget that one of the principles of this forum is not to get personal with other forum members? No need to answer. Play the ball, not the man. Address the discussion points made, don't get personal. It's a simple rule. It always applies.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean Mac Raighnaille

I'd say you must be a complete tool, you're supporting the government by your actions, that is if this is genuine ?
    I'd also say it's the bar counter is the only one you'll be near.
    I'll be at Stephen's Green.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

There's no getting away from the fact that during this recession most of those protesting and striking (sorry, that should read "fully paid industrial action") are public service workers, (HSE, Passport Office workers, teachers etc) welfare recipients (pensioners etc) or students. The rest of us, in the real world, are too busy working even longer hours, so that we can simply survive.

Just take a look at Kieran Allen's contribution on the Vincent Browne show last night. If there is a more protected, cushier number than working as a Sociology lecturer in UCD, then I've yet to hear of it. But is he happy with his lot - hell no - he's taking to the streets to demand jobs!

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne

These protests are going nowhere - it ain't the 1960s anymore
    The recession has been privatised - the recovery will also be privatised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭GarlicBread

Wait till europe gets a hold of our budget, they will bring our tax rate up to scandinavian standards. Cant wait, im looking forward to a big increase in meh dole :D. A half decent healthcare system would be nice aswell.

Im gonna try and organize a counter-counter-protest. The aim will be to protest against the protest which is protesting against the protest which is protesting against the government and the cuts.

Feel free to have a counter-counter-counter-protest, but then i might have to have a counter-counter-counter-counter-protest. By then things will be so messy that somone is bound to start flinging petrol bombs :).

Down with this government and the snotty right wingers who support it. Ill be damned if this country has to endure another century of facism. One was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Wait till europe gets a hold of our budget, they will bring our tax rate up to scandinavian standards. Cant wait, im looking forward to a big increase in meh dole

I hope you do realise that with this European model, you will receive your bigger dole for 2 years. As long as you've paid into the system.

Then you will get basically feck all.

I'm all for it. Bring it on.
    It will put an end to the long termers That have never contributed a thing to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭GarlicBread

danman wrote: »
    I hope you do realise that with this European model, you will receive your bigger dole for 2 years. As long as you've paid into the system.

Then you will get basically feck all.

I'm all for it. Bring it on.
    It will put an end to the long termers That have never contributed a thing to society.

The long termers you speak of are only a minority. Most people on the dole at the moment, including myself, were put on it because somone made a total balls of the economy. The area where i worked is basically gone completely!

Ill claim my tax back through the dole rather than see it pissed away into anglo-irish bank, e-voting machines and a chocolate cake pension for Mary Harney.

Id have no problem taking a dole cut or tax increase as long as the money was used to pay for the running of the country in a proper fashion: e.g public services.

People are not protesting against cuts per say, we all know the deficit has to come down. People are going mad about the way in which money is being flung away mindlessly into black holes that benifit no one, and then on top of that its the poor who are gonna be hit the hardest.

Theres more than one way to skin a celtic pussy. If all government ministers reduced their salerys to minimum wage there would be no protests outside the dail. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The REAL elephant in the room is our massive deficit. The only problem is this involves people's "entitlements" being reduced, and they cannot accept this. It's akin to throwing a tantrum because dad won't buy you a PS3 for your birthday, but he bought your sister a pony when times were better.

These people will at least spend their "entitlements", helping the economy as opposed to it going into the black hole of NAMA. You sound like somebody desperate to blame "the left" but who can't think of any reason.
    vinylrules wrote: »
    Just take a look at Kieran Allen's contribution on the Vincent Browne show last night. If there is a more protected, cushier number than working as a Sociology lecturer in UCD, then I've yet to hear of it. But is he happy with his lot - hell no - he's taking to the streets to demand jobs!

So what if he has a cushy job. Are all the people in the media caling for cuts working long hours to survive?

Advertisement