Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x17 "Pain" **SPOILERS**

Options
  • 15-05-2010 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

I watched it there I'm really liking the series now.
    Was a really slow episode well thats what I think about it.
    It does however have the psychological feel to it that I think even though there is not as much pew pew as I would like to see:p.
    I think it gives a great insight to what some of the characters greatest fears are and perhaps an insight into what will happen in further episodes.

Edit: Damn a few drinks and I become a muppet can a mod please change the name of the thread to "SGU 1x17 "Pain" **SPOILERS** please?
    Apologies feeling like a bit of a dope haha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

im loving this series atm.. but it does suffer from the occasional boring/bad slow episode, like this one.. i was expecting the aliens to come and attack tonight!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Where's the poll?

Didn't really like it. Filler episode. They've spent so long expanding on their personalities and relationship dynamics throughout the last 16 episodes that this one seemed pointless to me.

Try double clicking on your title on the main forum. Works on some vbulletin boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Smyth wrote: »

Try double clicking on your title on the main forum. Works on some vbulletin boards.

Sorry about the poll will do one now:D(I cant make one quite possibly drink has made me a moron:p a mod can maybe make a poll?)
    I figured out how to change it thanks man:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I like this one quite alot actually

what makes a good series is the connection with the characters

it took SG1 few seasons to build-up any sort of character likeability and depth
    Atlantis just failed, too much action no substance

this is good very good, me like :)

oh i thought it take them longer to cross between the galaxies, that was quickish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Of course the thing from the 1.5 trailer i was looking forward to the most(aliens coming aboard Destiny) was imaginary!
    Written into the show purely to put in the teaser? I think so!

Slow ep, didn't feel it at all...better get good again soon!
    Only strong point was the music.

Also, please use the polls when you make the thread! Or else leave it to someone who knows how!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Poll please mods.

I hate the fact that the aliens coming through the gate was a hallucination. I was looking forward to that scene, what a let down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

meh

it's a bit late in the game for filler episodes surely, shouldn't we be getting close to what the point of season 1 was? It can't be *all* character introductions and history, there has to be some sort of story to the show other than 'ooh, things happened to us in the past and it affects us mentally, we're so damaged'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So have they crossed the galaxy void now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Yes they have
    GarethWA wrote: »
    Also, please use the polls when you make the thread! Or else leave it to someone who knows how!

I do know how to use polls smart arse. I forgot to make one and now cant add it in with the edit function

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

What was Rush going to say to the Chinese one, before Young interupted?

Do ya think he was gonna tell her he fúcked her body last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I didn't mind that episode...not sure where I stand on the music though, always seems slightly out of place (but on the upside, plus one for the episode ending on an Eels track)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

molloyjazz wrote: »

He didn't tho. I think he was gonna ask if its ok to do it in the future.

I liked this episode. Thought it added some great tension between James and Chloe.

They didn't say. I suppose so if they can dial the gate...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yeah, I quite enjoyed this one too... made me itchy though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Meh.

Bit close to the end of the season for a filler ep!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,068 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I love how people call this a filler ep, despite SG1 being so crammed full of "Fille Eps" that its what made it SG1.

And as a filler episode, this was quite good. Some well thought out hallucinations, bit of blood and gore, it would easilly rank up above any of dozens of similar episodes, again, in SG1.
    molloyjazz wrote: »

Yeah I thought maybe we'd have that talk we were debating last week but I guess not.

Liked the way they ended this episode.

Overheal wrote: »
    I love how people call this a filler ep, despite SG1 being so crammed full of "Fille Eps" that its what made it SG1.

Al least SG1 filler eps had lots of 'splosions, quirky humour, and big words that make physicists scream at the tv for being so scientifically inaccurate!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,068 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Al least SG1 filler eps had lots of 'splosions, quirky humour, and big words that make physicists scream at the tv for being so scientifically inaccurate!:D
    Speaking of Quirky humor:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Boring ep, this is what happens when writers get all high on themselves.

Oh its "character driven sci fi", great ....... but there was nearly no sci fi in this at all! Could have taken place anywhere. Worst episode yet, was hoping the momentum was going to continue to build from the last few episodes up to the finale but this was like hitting a dead stop.

There is no need for filler episodes like this with a show like destiny, we simply dont know enough about the ship, where its been, what it holds, who has come across it, where it is, etc. They could have created questions or issues as little as only one episode back to be completely resolved in this ep an would have been more satisfying than this.

Terrible episode, if I wanted 100% drama I'd watch a soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

:)

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

...there are no words!
    ...there is just.........:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I thought it was a good episode. As if things weren't fractious enough between Greer and Rey already. Though I thought they crossed the void rather too quickly. I mean, if they can cross between galaxies that quickly, then they should really pass through the galaxies in the time it takes to dial the gate...

I hope the writers don't give into people demanding 'splosions and shooting battles though, because they've been done a million times before and are dull. Seriously, how many times can you watch the same thing (fire, redirect shields, we retreat/they retreat, blah blah blah)?

Don't revert to Stargate Atlantis please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Don't revert to Stargate Atlantis please.

completely agree

Atlantis and last season of SG1 is just "cringe worthy"

i hope it doesnt go back to that braindraining crap again

the jokes werent even funny and the episodes predictable

that why the ratings bombed, how can you take a show seriously that doesnt take itself seriously

were not even 1 series thru this and we know and can connect more to the characters than even SG1 after 3 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Do we know that that scene was real or just another hallucination...?
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    I like this one quite alot actually

what makes a good series is the connection with the characters

it took SG1 few seasons to build-up any sort of character likeability and depth
    Atlantis just failed, too much action no substance

this is good very good, me like :)

oh i thought it take them longer to cross between the galaxies, that was quickish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

STFU.....

Smyth wrote: »

Where's the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

id assume it took a few days if not weeks to cross, do you want the crossing to be in real time?, this episode could have happened 4 days or even 2 weeks after the last episode,

plus if you continually try and look for problems with a series you will find them very easily, you should really decide wheather you want to be entertained or weather you want a factual show that obey the laws of physics and makes sense, (you know like how is the FTL drive is so bad, we have a much better one sitting in a hanger at terminal 3, they should really use that, its more efficient,)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

STFU.....

no YOU STFU!!!!!!111!!one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The crossing probably takes a fraction of the time it takes to cross a galaxy. No stars or gravity wells to get in the way or those pesky gates to stop at and investigate.

If destiny is nearly falling apart you have to wonder what the gate seeding ships are like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

absolute shíte

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

don ramo wrote: »
    id assume it took a few days if not weeks to cross, do you want the crossing to be in real time?, this episode could have happened 4 days or even 2 weeks after the last episode,
    Sure, but there was absolutely no reference to it. No, 'hurrah, we're finally across, something to do again', nothing. It was like they'd never even left the galaxy.
    Mantel wrote: »
    The crossing probably takes a fraction of the time it takes to cross a galaxy. No stars or gravity wells to get in the way or those pesky gates to stop at and investigate.

If destiny is nearly falling apart you have to wonder what the gate seeding ships are like now.
    The galaxy they were travelling through would probably have been about 100,000 light years across while the void would have been a couple of million light years. The show gives a clear sense that it takes a while for Destiny to get between dialable gates in a galaxy, so it should take quite a while to get between galaxies. Which the whole power-saving mode backs up tbh.

It's a bit like watching a TV programme on sailing, each episode features a nice sail like from Dublin to Wicklow, then to Arklow, then to Wexford, then they suddenly show up in New York without so much of a 'thank heavens for that, land!'

Frankly I think it was a missed opportunity.
    don ramo wrote: »
    plus if you continually try and look for problems with a series you will find them very easily, you should really decide wheather you want to be entertained or weather you want a factual show that obey the laws of physics and makes sense, (you know like how is the FTL drive is so bad, we have a much better one sitting in a hanger at terminal 3, they should really use that, its more efficient,)
    I want a show that is internally consistent within the rules it sets for itself. They just made a big thing about how Destiny was going into power saving mode to prepare for a journey between galaxies... and then cast the whole thing aside.

Otherwise they might aswell bring in Gandalf the Grey doing magic spells, sure do you want entertainment or a show that makes sense?

Advertisement