Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns with more than one station?

Options
  • 14-05-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Inspired by a post from Victor.

Outside of Dublin the only towns I know of that have more that one station are Bangor (Bangor and Bangor West) and Leixlip (Leixlip and Leixlip Confey).

Are Leixlip and Bangor unique?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

JHMEG wrote: »
    Inspired by a post from Victor.

Outside of Dublin the only towns I know of that have more that one station are Bangor (Bangor and Bangor West) and Leixlip (Leixlip and Leixlip Confey).

Are Leixlip and Bangor unique?

Athlone used to have 2,the Athlone midland station has been closed for ages though.

Not forgetting Limerick and Limerick junction.:pac:

Rosslare and Rosslare strand.

Athlone Midland has been closed since 1985 or thereabouts. There were a good few others in the past, Cork had at least four and Waterford had two (one for the isolated Waterford-Tramore line). Listowel also had two but they were pretty much beside each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not forgetting Limerick and Limerick junction.:pac:

Limk Junct is in Tipp. :)

(Lots don't know that)

Dunlaoghaire had two, Mailboat terminal which was foolishly cut off with the introduction of the dart, (It would have made a far greater rail museum than Moyasta)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Lucan had the distinction of being one of the only villages with two stations, Lucan North and Lucan South.
    Edit: According to Wikipedia the Dublin-Lucan tramway was legally a railway so maybe a case could be made for Lucan having three railway stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Navan used to have two train stations, Navan central and Navan Junction. All that remains of Navan Junction today is a storage shed.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

In the heydays of Irish railways many bigger towns and cities had several stations. Cork had 5. Newry had 3 (not including the Bessbrook Station now called Newry) and Dundalk 2.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/Map_Rail_Ireland_Viceregal_Commission_1906.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ardmacha wrote: »
    In the heydays of Irish railways many bigger towns and cities had several stations. Cork had 5. Newry had 3 (not including the Bessbrook Station now called Newry) and Dundalk 2.
    Am aware of that. Collooney had 3 I think, as did Waterford.

Are there towns now with 2 or more working stations aside from Bangor and Leixlip tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Cork had 7 actually....CB&P had two at different times, Cork and macroom, CB&SCR Cork and Muskerry,Glanmire Rd, Summerhill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Wexford used to have two stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Drogheda used to have two also as far as I know - one each side of the viaduct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Am aware of that. Collooney had 3 I think, as did Waterford.

Are there towns now with 2 or more working stations aside from Bangor and Leixlip tho.

Yes, both on the same branch line, Coleraine has Coleraine and University and Portrush has Portrush and Dhu Varren.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Drogheda used to have two also as far as I know - one each side of the viaduct

That was before the viaduct was built though - the Northern one was then closed.

The other closed pairing that springs to mind is Wicklow (still open) and Wicklow Morragh. There was also a Wexford North (still open) and Wexford South at one time.

In terms of still open, what about Larne Town and Larne Harbour?

Hungerford wrote: »
    That was before the viaduct was built though - the Northern one was then closed.

The other closed pairing that springs to mind is Wicklow (still open) and Wicklow Morragh. There was also a Wexford North (still open) and Wexford South at one time.

In terms of still open, what about Larne Town and Larne Harbour?

Yeah, those two are still open.

How about Rosslare and Rosslare Europort?

How about Rosslare and Rosslare Europort?
    Like Limerick Junction, Rosslare Europort isn't actually in Rosslare tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

Also I'm not sure if Rosslare even is a town....:rolleyes:

Limerick Jcn is in Tipperary,
    The second station in Athlone can't really count (its broken),

I'll call the IRRS in on this one... I'm sure they've a list around here somewhere....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's not near the port either these days. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Rosslare and Rosslare Harbour are seperate villages about 5km apart by rail, almost double that by road.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

There's a rather obvious one that we've forgotten: Belfast - Belfast Central, Victoria Street, Yorkgate, City Hospital and Botanic.

There's another pairing from the North too: Whitehead and Whitehead Excursion - one NIR station and the other the RPSI base.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hungerford wrote: »
    There's a rather obvious one that we've forgotten: Belfast - Belfast Central, Victoria Street, Yorkgate, City Hospital and Botanic.
    The thread is about towns with two stations. Its a long time since Belfast was a town.

I think Belfast is a valid answer.

I've never been in Larne... is the port station (or the port) in the town itself or is it like Rosslare?

• Advertisement

I think Belfast is a valid answer.

I've never been in Larne... is the port station (or the port) in the town itself or is it like Rosslare?

Well, if we include Belfast there are so many stations and halts. Bridge End, Sydenham, Whiteabbey, Jordanstown etc. It's more of a commuter system than a town with more than one station.

Larne Harbour is a bit away from the town centre but it is built up between the two so I'd say they are in the same town.

Lisburn and Hilden could be seen as in the same town although I think Lisburn is officially a city now.

Well, if we include Belfast there are so many stations and halts. Bridge End, Sydenham, Whiteabbey, Jordanstown etc. It's more of a commuter system than a town with more than one station.
    Fair point.

Lisburn and Hilden could be seen as in the same town although I think Lisburn is officially a city now.
    Hilden... beer...

Seems to be valid.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilden_railway_station

Fair point.

Hilden... beer...

Seems to be valid.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilden_railway_station

So it seems to be a lot more common on NIR than IÉ anyway.

So it seems to be a lot more common on NIR than IÉ anyway.

Is it true to say so that Leixlip is the only town in RoI with two stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Limerick Junction is about two miles from Tipperary Town centre and will, shortly I believe, be within the new Tipp town boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it true to say so that Leixlip is the only town in RoI with two stations?
    Well, what does one consider a town? Leixlip is within the Dublin continuous urban area and the railway is suburban in style. Of note the town is split in two by the park along the Rye Water, with poor access between the two halves and from the northern half to Louisa Bridge. Compare this to Maynooth, where there is reasonable access tot he station where ever you are in the town, even though the railway originally formed the southern boundary of the town.

In building a station, a railway company has to ask things like:
    Are surrounding stations over-subscribed?
    Is there sufficient population to support a station?
    Is that population adequately served by existing stations?
    How close are stations, will building a station cannibalise demand for another station?

For Leixlip, Louisa Bridge was hardly over-subscribed. However, there was population enough to support a second station, Louisa Bridge didn't serve the north of the town and Confey would have a low level of cannibalisation for the pedestrian market, although a higher level for the park and ride market.

Victor wrote: »
    Well, what does one consider a town? Leixlip is within the Dublin continuous urban area and the railway is suburban in style.
    Are you suggesting Leixlip is not a town?

I'm not sure the relevance but many Irish towns are divided by a river. The main road in the River Forest estate is long and straight as it was originally intended to be a ring road of sorts, linking Confey with Collinstown or thereabouts. It was never followed through tho.

The style of the stations in not really relevant either. As a result of history Bangor Station is quite substantial but it doesn't handle any more traffic than Leixlip Confey.

Louisa Bridge is quite well subscribed, has been for at least 10 years, and even moreso since the large car park was built nearby. In the context of the original village of Leixlip it's location was brutal, granted.

Are you suggesting Leixlip is not a town?
    No its not a separate town any more. Its a suburb of Dublin.
    I'm not sure the relevance but many Irish towns are divided by a river.
    Not in quite the same way. In other towns, they have expanded out from a settlement that centred on a bridge. With Leixlip, the majority of development was to the west and north of the town centre.
    The style of the stations in not really relevant either. As a result of history Bangor Station is quite substantial but it doesn't handle any more traffic than Leixlip Confey.
    I said the railway, not the stations. It makes more sense to have two stations in Leixlip, than say Longford or Castlebar. Its 3.9km from Louisa Bridge to deepest River Forest. This means it makes little sense to go from River Forest to Louisa Bridge to get a train to Blanchardstown or Dublin, but it does make sense to go from River Forest to Confey to get a train to Blanchardstown or Dublin.

However, to travel similar distances in Castlebar would be a problem as there are only 4 trains a day.

Oh, Cobh has two stations and might get a third to connect to the cross-harbour ferry.

Several of the old Dublin townships had several stations, e.g. Blackrock had Booterstown, Williamstown (closed), Blackrock, Seapoint and Salthill & Monkstown.

• Advertisement

What about towns which have or had separate stations on separate networks or systems?

Kind of like as operates in Dublin at present. Connolly and Heuston. Two stations that serve completely different places so are not interchangeable.

I can get to the same place from either Confey or Louisa Bridge.

Does or did any situation like this exist in Ireland. I think I am aware of one or two areas in London with this, such as Brixton.

Advertisement