Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Going to see it on saturday and curious if its worth it to see it in 3d? Keep in mind i wear glasses and for whatever reason the only movie ive ever been able to see or even notice the 3d in was avatar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

VinLieger wrote: »
    Going to see it on saturday and curious if its worth it to see it in 3d? Keep in mind i wear glasses and for whatever reason the only movie ive ever been able to see or even notice the 3d in was avatar

cop-out-nope.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Sleepy wrote: »
    The only thing that really bothered me was how once Banner *really*, *really* needed to be able to control the Hulk, he was. Or did I blink and miss the explanation between where he goes smashy smashy on the Helicarrier and the "I'm always angry" line?
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea it's never really explained. I guess its because it was a controlled transformation and the other transformation came about due to the trauma of the explosion, its also never explained how Banner knows to go to Manhatten in the first place, considering he fell from the sky when the carrier was out of control he could have been a couple of hundred miles away.

All through their interactions, Stark keeps telling Banner that he believes he can control the Hulk once he accepts that he's part of him. I can't for the life of me remember any direct quotes but that's the gist. So when Banner finally realises that Stark's right, he gains control over the Hulk.

Also, in The Incredible Hulk, Banner has already gained some small control ("not control it... but maybe direct it") when times are desperate.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Penn wrote: »
    Before the explosion in the Helicarrier, Banner and Stark's program found where the Tesseract was. Banner walked over to it, said "Oh my God" (presumably was about to say "It's at Stark Tower in Manhattan") but didn't get a chance to say where it was as the explosion happened.

Hawkeye's virus only shut off another one of the engines. First one that blew was the No.3 engine. Hill or Fury then said if they lost another one they'd start to go down. Then Hawkeye's arrow took out the No.1 engine and they started to go down. It was only when Stark got the No.3 working again that they were okay. Presumably the Helicarrier needs at least one engine on each side to maintain balance, and three engines to stay in the air.

Ah right you are, I could have sworn the other three engines went but that explains it alright. Forgot about Banner spotting the map before the explosion.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All through their interactions, Stark keeps telling Banner that he believes he can control the Hulk once he accepts that he's part of him. I can't for the life of me remember any direct quotes but that's the gist. So when Banner finally realises that Stark's right, he gains control over the Hulk.

Also, in The Incredible Hulk, Banner has already gained some small control ("not control it... but maybe direct it") when times are desperate.

Yeah, even in Ang Lees movie he had some control and tried to avoid hurting people who weren't a direct threat. There's a part where he jumped on a fighter jet so it wouldn't crash into the golden gate bridge. Not that that movie is canon now or anything. Even storylines in the books where he didn't have much control there were a few where hulk would befriend a child or something too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I caught all that but I really think a better explanation was required than the "flip of a switch" means they used... It just jarred badly that one minute he was something that no one could control to being able to fully control it less than a day later... some further exposition would have helped here imho.

I caught all that but I really think a better explanation was required than the "flip of a switch" means they used... It just jarred badly that one minute he was something that no one could control to being able to fully control it less than a day later... some further exposition would have helped here imho.

Yea i kind of agree, but on the other hand his sudden ability to control did lead to the most iconic Hulk moment I've ever seen, on screen at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

VinLieger wrote: »

No. 2d all the way. Saw it in 2d the first time I went, then in 3d when I brought the gf's little sister. 3D is completely unneccessary, unimpressive and bloody dark.

But.... they did.... When he wakes up in the rubble, the security guard tells him that the Hulk consciously avoided landing in a populated area so's not to hurt people*. Then Banner realises that the Hulk can be controlled by his will. That belief leads to his getting a handle on that. It all seemed pretty obvious to me at the time....

*The dialogue is something along the lines of:

"Lucky I didn't hurt anyone."
    "I don't think it was luck; you were awake when you landed."

I missed that actually... must've looked away for the "moment of realisation" look on his face...

• Advertisement

But.... they did.... When he wakes up in the rubble, the security guard tells him that the Hulk consciously avoided landing in a populated area so's not to hurt people*. Then Banner realises that the Hulk can be controlled by his will. That belief leads to his getting a handle on that. It all seemed pretty obvious to me at the time....

Interesting, I never copped that either. I remember the dialogue and that but never made the connection, that scene makes a lot more sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That doesn't explain it though. What made him conciously miss landing on the human population? What would he have been using all along trying to control it if it wasn't his will? It was still skimmed over disappointingly IMO.

Corholio wrote: »
    That doesn't explain it though.

It does, really.
    What made him conciously miss landing on the human population?

The fact that he's not just a monster but an extension of Banner, which is the realisation.
    What would he have been using all along trying to control it if it wasn't his will?

Er, I think you misunderstood. I wasn't implying that he suddenly realised "Ooh, I know! Will-power!" He had been trying all along but only then came to believe that he really was strong enough to tame the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

krudler wrote: »
    oh yeah Avatar looked stunning, as did, of all things, Jackass 3, the opening credits were brilliant, and parts of Dark Of The Moon. I will see Prometheus in 3D alright but I'm avoiding post production stuff from now on, saw Wrath Of The Titans and it was sh1te
    Titans was terrible, both as a 3D movie, and - well, as a movie.

Avatar did look absolutely mental though and I wish I saw it more than once tbh. Production 3D is the way to go. Prometheus 3D trailer looked very slick showing off the holograph topography stuff in one of the scenes. Would definitely be worth seeing in IMAX.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Going to it again tomorrow this time in 2D so my enjoyment should hopefully be ramped up considerably

Er, I think you misunderstood. I wasn't implying that he suddenly realised "Ooh, I know! Will-power!" He had been trying all along but only then came to believe that he really was strong enough to tame the beast.

I didn't misunderstand. I didn't say it was suddenly his will, i said what would it have been all along. It's just poor storytelling I thought that he spent years trying to keep the beast in because he couldn't tame it when it happened, and then when it happened again after all that time, he can suddenly believe it and it works.

I just think explaining why Hulk is now controllable is a big part of the character if they choose to use it, they did and it was a pretty disappointing and thin explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

Would I need to have seen all the individual characters films before going to see this or would I still be able to follow it?

It's on in the Reel Parents screenings next week but won't have time to watch all the others before then!

Haven't read through the thread as I don't want spoilers!

TIA

You'd be able to follow the plot of the movie but, having missed out on all the origin stories would dull your attachment / understanding of the characters.

Anniebell wrote: »
    Would I need to have seen all the individual characters films before going to see this or would I still be able to follow it?

It's on in the Reel Parents screenings next week but won't have time to watch all the others before then!

TIA

You'll be able to follow it fine, this film doesn't deal with the character's backgrounds a whole lot though but I don't think you'll be lost or anything.

Watch some of the others if you can though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anniebell wrote: »

TIA

I'd say they aren't necessary but would enhance your enjoyment. If you only see one of the other movies I'd say Thor would be the one since it deals with relationship between Thor and Loki, which might seem a bit odd otherwise.
    Incredible Hulk would probably be the least important. Everybody knows who the Hulk is.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I knew something like this would happen eventually! And no-one believed me; well - let's see who was right now, ha!

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/cinemas/28?film=5127

D-Box Technology

Apparently the likes of Prometheus are also taking this tech into account.

On a serious note - I can't imagine that it would ever take off; or at least; I very much so hope that it doesn't! (Prectically speaking I can't imagine it being feasable)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ that d-box thing is fine for short movies or theme park rides, but being bounced around for 2hrs, fcuk that. how about hollywood invests money in original scripts and talent instead of gimmicks, crazy thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

^ that d-box thing is fine for short movies or theme park rides, but being bounced around for 2hrs, fcuk that. how about hollywood invests money in original scripts and talent instead of gimmicks, crazy thought.

You cant charge more for that

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I agree wholeheartedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Galvasean wrote: »

Wow. That's a lot of Avengers' films worth of damage.

("Avengers' films" is now a unit of measurement. 1 Avengers' film = 0.25 Sh*tloads of money)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I didn't misunderstand. I didn't say it was suddenly his will, i said what would it have been all along. It's just poor storytelling I thought that he spent years trying to keep the beast in because he couldn't tame it when it happened, and then when it happened again after all that time, he can suddenly believe it and it works.

I just think explaining why Hulk is now controllable is a big part of the character if they choose to use it, they did and it was a pretty disappointing and thin explanation.
    if you watched the incredible hulk at the end its shows banner living in some remote area, and while hes meditating he suddenly opens his eyes and they're a different color indicating that hes now found a way to control hulk, the incredible hulk was a lead up film for banner in the avengers, just cause Norton wasn't in avengers doesn't mean that storyline was thrown aside,

there not gonna spell the thing out for you, you have to watch he film and pay attention,

if banner gets overtaken by say an explosion like on the carrier hulk comes out and it practically uncontrollable, if banner control a transformation then hulk is controllable, that's why he tore the carrier apart and also why he was taking orders from cap later in the film when he "controlled" his transformation,

don ramo wrote: »
    if you watched the incredible hulk at the end its shows banner living in some remote area, and while hes meditating he suddenly opens his eyes and they're a different color indicating that hes now found a way to control hulk, the incredible hulk was a lead up film for banner in the avengers, just cause Norton wasn't in avengers doesn't mean that storyline was thrown aside,

there not gonna spell the thing out for you, you have to watch he film and pay attention,

if banner gets overtaken by say an explosion like on the carrier hulk comes out and it practically uncontrollable, if banner control a transformation then hulk is controllable, that's why he tore the carrier apart and also why he was taking orders from cap later in the film when he "controlled" his transformation,

I just thought it took away some of the unexpectedness of Hulk with the whole eureka control moment after the fall. It felt like it was a bat it out of the park moment, it had so much set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It's a movie about super heroes; let's not over analyse it.

Advertisement