Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

It doesn't work like that, if money isn't spent the Department of Finance get it. Departments don't keep money they don't spend. This is from my experience. I'm open to correction.

Yep! that sounds about right, each government department bids for money at the start of the year and unspent money is returned to the Department of Finance at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

would it not be a better idea to have the 3 lane section on the northbound side going one or 200 metres beyond the junction, as this would leave exit 3 as a final layout and there would be no need to replace any overhead gantry.

The gantry for the airport at exit 2 has been replaced already and if this 3 lane section goes ahead it will be the 3rd version for the gantry at this exit.

From M50 upgrade - Phase II, Post #1090.
    M1 NB is currently being upgraded to 4 lanes between the M50 and Airport. Hopefully this will speed up the M1 NB but from our experience the major slowdown in the evenings appears to be merging traffic from the Airport Interchange. There are no plans for an additional lane from the Airport to Lissenhall yet, but our new gantries on the M1 NB have space for this extra lane along the median, which will join up with our extra lane currently being constructed

I presume that any gantries that have been upgraded on the M1 are now able to cater for the installation of an extra lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I (nerd that I am) counted 13 lamp posts between the southern end of the on-slip at Holywell to the beginning of the offslip at the Airport.

I'm guessing they're 50m spacing so that's 650m or so that needs an aux lane

Has anybody had any update as to whether works are going to start anytime soon ??

Traffic was as bad as ever again last night from the M50/M1 merge to Junction 4,

M1NAfterAirportjunction070710.jpg

Picture taken @ about 5:30pm just after Airport Junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I (nerd that I am) counted 13 lamp posts between the southern end of the on-slip at Holywell to the beginning of the offslip at the Airport.

A sentence like that could only appear in this forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The m1 must be the second busiest motorway in the country after the m50. I've been saying for years that the m1 always should have been 3 lanes as far as Lissenhall. Lots of traffic gets on and off their every single day. On some days you can easily spend 25-30 minutes travelling 3km's south bound in the mornings.

The upgrade seems pointless unless you go as far as Lissenhall, but perhaps Michael Kennedy is right, there should be some future proofing and it should go as far as Balbriggan.

Costs surely can't be that bad in this day and age for such an upgrade, as there is the room for the extra lanes. Traffic disruption I can imagine being minimal, although I can forsee slower speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I don't think the third lane will make any/much difference. Just more room to queue

The problem with the end of the M1 is its ability to distribute traffic to the city roads and the M50. Whitehall, Santry, the M50 can't take more traffic off than is arriving at 120 km/h from north of the estuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I don't think the third lane will make any/much difference. Just more room to queue

The problem with the end of the M1 is its ability to distribute traffic to the city roads and the M50. Whitehall, Santry, the M50 can't take more traffic off than is arriving at 120 km/h from north of the estuary.
    Rubbish, there is absolutely no problems getting onto the M50 or Santry in the morning. Some delay at Whitehall due to the traffic lights at Collins Avenue.

The problem only occurs between Lissenhall and Drynam on the M1 south as traffic from Skerries, Rush, Lusk, Swords, Malahide, Donabate etc.., joins.

Have you actually travelled on the M1 south in the mornings regularly?

There are no traffic issuse between Drynam and the tunnel and no issue north of Lissenhall.

Obviously 3 lanes would move the traffic quicker to the next blockage but now that the M50 has greater capacity it should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Furet wrote: »
    A sentence like that could only appear in this forum :D

Sabre too, but they'd name the manufacturers also ;)

I know it's been a while since anything was posted on this but I heard this scheme was approved a few weeks ago.

I was just wondering if anybody had heard...

... when the works will actually start?
    ... how long they will take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

celticbest wrote: »
    I know it's been a while since anything was posted on this but I heard this scheme was approved a few weeks ago.

Just drove that way (both ways) this morning. There's no sign of it starting at the moment!

One thing I hope that this will solve is the horrible layout of the road from the Port Tunnel which weaves back and forth in a completely unacceptable manner.

Jayuu wrote: »
    Just drove that way (both ways) this morning. There's no sign of it starting at the moment!

One thing I hope that this will solve is the horrible layout of the road from the Port Tunnel which weaves back and forth in a completely unacceptable manner.

There's men at work signs under the Airport junction, but no men at work....:confused:

I thought these signs might be the start of works but they have been in place for the last few weeks and nothing has been happening.

Just found the following article, http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/3375/57/ . Does anybody know if this is still on course to be completed by December as stated.

I would have thought works would have had to of started at this stage or will they be able to complete the works in around 4 months??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Didn't they say it would kick off in August? Well today is the last day.
    Just found the following article, http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/3375/57/ . Does anybody know if this is still on course to be completed by December as stated.

I would have thought works would have had to of started at this stage or will they be able to complete the works in around 4 months??
    The article is confusing; it says the upgrade would be done by December 2010, but the other article upthread said 15 months (and therefore December 2011).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

spacetweek wrote: »
    Didn't they say it would kick off in August? Well today is the last day.
    Quoting myself; first sign of madness :)

Can anyone who lives up that way confirm if this has gotten underway yet? It's late now.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Quoting myself; first sign of madness :)

Can anyone who lives up that way confirm if this has gotten underway yet? It's late now.

There was nothing obvious to indicate a start on this as of last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

will the upgrade, just be 3 lanes or a total of 4, like the M50? i.e 3 proper lanes and an auxiliary lane?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    will the upgrade, just be 3 lanes or a total of 4, like the M50? i.e 3 proper lanes and an auxiliary lane?

3 lanes and its only for around 2 km from the airport to the next interchange.

Jayuu wrote: »
    There was nothing obvious to indicate a start on this as of last Sunday.

Still no sign of anything yesterday evening except for the usual tailback....

I think it's time to send a quick mail to the NRA to find out the start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Traffic management signs heading out of town just before M1/M50 junction this evening were indicating M1 upgrade works would start next week, I think they said 26th October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

After this morning's disaster on the M1, they should really consider a 3 lane motorway from the Airport to Lissenhall but the upside is that an extra lane should free up the inbound/outbound lanes as the snarl ups are mainly due to the traffic merging from the Drynam exit.

dcr22B wrote: »
    After this morning's disaster on the M1, they should really consider a 3 lane motorway from the Airport to Lissenhall but the upside is that an extra lane should free up the inbound/outbound lanes as the snarl ups are mainly due to the traffic merging from the Drynam exit.

Yeah, I can't wait to see there traffic management plan & how it will affect both the morning and evening rush hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Yeah, I can't wait to see there traffic management plan & how it will affect both the morning and evening rush hours.

I've amused myself in the evening going home coming up with all sorts of "minimal traffic impact" sort of solution for this job. My best is all works to be confined within temp steel barriers (bar last stages of surface laying) and for dumptrucks to carry all spoil away from machines to a central location and dump it into a hopper and conveyor which would take it up and over the motorway to waiting trucks on a side road or even the hard-shoulder (to help them merging by not having to emerge onto overtaking lane) preferably a side road though.

Not going to happen but it keeps me amused in traffic :)

cargo wrote: »
    I've amused myself in the evening going home coming up with all sorts of "minimal traffic impact" sort of solution for this job. My best is all works to be confined within temp steel barriers (bar last stages of surface laying) and for dumptrucks to carry all spoil away from machines to a central location and dump it into a hopper and conveyor which would take it up and over the motorway to waiting trucks on a side road or even the hard-shoulder (to help them merging by not having to emerge onto overtaking lane) preferably a side road though.

Not going to happen but it keeps me amused in traffic :)
    Judging by the plans the central median will remain as is, the same width. It won't be like the M50.

All widening will be from the hard shoulder in so that should leave disruption to a minimum until resurfacing is required. They can in theory do the new hard shoulder and lane one (current hard shoulder) behind barriers then direct traffic onto these to resurface lane two and three (currently lane one and two).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Judging by the plans the central median will remain as is, the same width. It won't be like the M50.

All widening will be from the hard shoulder in so that should leave disruption to a minimum until resurfacing is required. They can in theory do the new hard shoulder and lane one (current hard shoulder) behind barriers then direct traffic onto these to resurface lane two and three (currently lane one and two).

No, the M1 widening will take place within the median. If you look at page 2 and closely examine the northern end of the scheme, you will see that the median tapers out. The median along much of the M1 to Drogheda is 15m to allow the construction of 2 extra lanes (one each way) and still have the width of an average grass median thereafter - like the M7 to Portlaoise and M4 to Kinnegad.

The calculation would be:

Existing Median: 15.00m (excluding 1.0m Median Strips)
    N/B C/W Lane Reduction: 0.20m (7.5m to 7.3m)
    S/B C/W Lane Reduction: 0.50m (7.5m to 7.0m)
    New N/B Lane: -3.65m
    New S/B Lane: -3.50m
    Reduced Median: 8.55m (average grass median: 7.0m)

Hope this helps.

Cool.

Travelling home last night there is no signage for upgrade work heading from the M50N & down the M1N :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Travelling home last night there is no signage for upgrade work heading from the M50N & down the M1N :confused:

The signing is under the M1/M50 junction on the M1(N) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

dcr22B wrote: »
    The signing is under the M1/M50 junction on the M1(N) ;)

And also now approaching the airport Exit heading Southbound.....starting Tuesday the 26th according to the signs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Oh this should be fun for the next while.

Advertisement