Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think the future holds?

Options
  • 11-05-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

What are peoples visions of the future? In the 1930's people thought there would be flying cars etc? Does anyone actually think this is possible within the next 100 years? Security would be a massive concern if people could just fly anywhere and everywhere!

Will global cooling begin over the next 20-30 and hurt our food supplies?

Do you think humans will make it to Mars by 2050 and how long do you think it will take to colonise the whole solar system?

Will the population of earth hit 20 billion by 2100?

What expectations do you have and what would you most like to have invented?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I think the concept of pre-destination was doomed from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Why be concerned about the future when one can enjoy the present moment etc? *sips wine and puffs dirty ciggy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Tomorrow will be Wednesday. That's as far as I can predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Whatever it will be, it sure will be fun to look back at what we say it will be now and laugh at our ignorance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i can see wires being a thing of the past

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Right now I'm not too sure. I went back and got the Almanac but the country still seems to be fcuked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Or will it? *enter spooky conspiracy music here*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Two words: zombie apocalypse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Will obesity keep getting worse and more widespread or will a "cure" be invented?

Do you think peoples life expectency will be greatly increased by the use of drugs gene therapy?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/genetics/article7120516.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i can see wires being a thing of the past

It could be the end of fishing as we know it... actually there probably wouldn't be any fish at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As Robert Hughes once said, nothing dates quicker than peoples' visions of the future.

Myself, I think it's game over in 2012 due to peek oil/sun spots/polar shift/Mary Harney eating all the pies/whatever-your-having-yourself.

Edgar Cayce is still on the money so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Will there be conflict over the control of space between America (trying to show its still the most powerfull) and China trying to become the most dominant country? Could it lead to a 3rd world war?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

As Robert Hughes once said, nothing dates quicker than peoples' visions of the future.

Myself, I think it's game over in 2012 due to peek oil/sun spots/polar shift/Mary Harney eating all the pies/whatever-your-having-yourself.

Edgar Cayce is still on the money so far.

Do people really believe that the world is kaput in 2012?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I hope the aliens come and introduce themselves within 100 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tian shi

Highly likely

Do you think humans will make it to Mars by 2050 and how long do you think it will take to colonise the whole solar system?
    It is quite possible they(humans) will make it to mars by then, but can't see the solar system itself being colonised

Very interesting question. I would lean towards no because the there may be no population due to all the man made problems we are suffering

Have no expectations anymore to be honest. as for being invented, although it is not technically an "invention", a global passport would be nice

As for a possible third world war......I dont know about America,but I have lived in China for a few years, and travel there a lot. In my opinion when push comes to shove they may quite possibly back away as they huff and puff a lot. From my limited experience with America, I would find it understandable for anyone to avoid war with them, as they have done a lot of ropey stuff. Indeed, one could say America is a serious threat to world peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

the price of food will go up and i'll be in more debt big woop no real change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

jd007 wrote: »

Yeah, just when I'm about to die so I can make a last stand for humanity and shoot those little grey bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The future will be composed of humanoid robots toiling **** jobs 12hrs a day to try to pay off their eternal energy bills, car loan and mortgage.

While a small population will be busy creating dreams and visions for the humanoids to aspire towards. Flooding them with more sound, images and smells of the carrot at the end of the stick which drives the whole system.

The rest will live as they have been for the past 300 years. In perpetual war and famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

What does the future hold? I am predicting major problems with the Euro currency in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Really? I can predict Thursday too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What do you think the future holds?

TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The West might finally help out Africa clean up the mess that was started over there by us, once we run out of useful stuff ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

tian shi wrote: »
    Highly likely

It is quite possible they(humans) will make it to mars by then, but can't see the solar system itself being colonised

Very interesting question. I would lean towards no because the there may be no population due to all the man made problems we are suffering

Have no expectations anymore to be honest. as for being invented, although it is not technically an "invention", a global passport would be nice

As for a possible third world war......I dont know about America,but I have lived in China for a few years, and travel there a lot. In my opinion when push comes to shove they may quite possibly back away as they huff and puff a lot. From my limited experience with America, I would find it understandable for anyone to avoid war with them, as they have done a lot of ropey stuff. Indeed, one could say America is a serious threat to world peace

I see a reply to that last bit by a poster going by the name of Overheal in the not too distant future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Who_owns_this?

jd007 wrote: »
    tian shi wrote: »
    It is quite possible they(humans) will make it to mars by then...

:eek: It's happening already!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Q:What does the future hold?

A:Our balls in a vice-grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭YouTalkinToMe

Itll be holding itself up at a bar going i fecking think of anything to futurise then shout its ur round past ye gobsh*te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

The west will be overrun by third world wasters, and china will dominate the world because they quite rightly have no tolerance for idiotic liberals..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lots of high rise accomodation due to overcrowding.
    We wont make it into space (passed the Van Allen Belts) coz of the radiation from the sun, which is about 10 times more severe than Chernobyl.
    There will be lots of fatty-boom-battys sittin at home coz the internets will become the main living arena for the majority of human people.
    Also, pets will die out as well coz people will be too lazy to look after them and there'll be no cars or flying cars coz people will not bother learning to drive so it'll just be public transport, if transport is needed, since everyone will have internet delivery and skype in hi-def and 3-D!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Father Ted repeats will be on RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

The future is orange.

Advertisement