Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help -is this buyer genuine or a fraud??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you reckon the car would be classified as stolen in the case of fraud?
    Morlar wrote:
    Isn't there a risk that if you accept a bank draft as payment your bank will say 'it has cleared' believing it has. Your account gets credited by X amount. All seems

Yes, I think there are two clearance statuses or something; so you'd want to wait at least 3 working days before being happy that the check is for real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

eoin wrote: »
    Yes, I think there are two clearance statuses or something; so you'd want to wait at least 3 working days before being happy that the check is for real.

I had heard it was more like 2 weeks, but in reality it's whatever the bank turns around and says it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

2 weeks? Wow, that would be a pain for both parties. I suppose cash is the only way to go to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Morlar wrote: »
    If you are meeting this guy in his bank, why the hell not just get CASH there and then. Lodge it directly or transfer it into your own account.

Yeah cash or a draft - the point with the draft is that its a cheque guaranteed by the bank - the only way it can be dodge is if its a forged bank draft. So if you stand beside the guy and he gets a draft issued from the bank, its all good.
    The bank wont issue a bank draft if the person has no funds.

Obviously you could do cash or just a funds transfer - some ppl like to use a bank draft as its a sort of very simple paper trail - whereas cash has no trail.
    eoin wrote:
    2 weeks? Wow, that would be a pain for both parties. I suppose cash is the only way to go to be 100% sure.

It doesnt take 2 week - more like 3-5 working days. Cash isnt 100% either, he gives you cash - you go to the bank - they will check it for counterfeit notes. The most secure way is a straight bank transfer in a branch (or even with online banking) - assuming you both have account with the same bank.

And by the way - the guy buying the car is probably thinking why is this guy looking for cash - maybe there is something wrong with the car or its stolen. These things work both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kevinbarry44th

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I will make this as simple as I can:

Basically, I'm selling my car on carsireland.ie.

Last week, someone emailed me interested in viewing the car. This person seems genuinely interested.

However, some things he says in his emails seem a bit odd to me (perhaps Im paranoid?), he says things like: ''I'm sure we will close this deal'' and ''I will more than likely buy the car off you upon seing it'' etc etc...

Now this person hasnt seen the car in real life as we havent met up yet. He hasnt tried any kind of haggling and he is happy to take the car at asking price.

We are meeting this week. However today he sent me an email saying he will pay me by BANK DRAFT. Naturally, I would prefer cash. I havent emailed him back yet.

How do I know if this is a genuine buyer?

What is the best method of payment I should ask for?

Any other concerns at all?

Please help as Im meeting him this week (im bringing a friend of course)

Thanks, help is much appreciated :)
    ....I see after the sale you never updated anyone as you promised you would..why is that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

....I see after the sale you never updated anyone as you promised you would..why is that ?

PM the OP, he hasn't be online in 2 weeks and probably won't see this.

Please don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement