Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The existence or non-existence of a god/the gods

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I also have a degree in philosophy. I'd have to say, that while the history of philosophy is pretty interesting (and that's essentially what university philosophy is; a history of western philosophy), it's more or less outmoded and irrelevent. Philosophy is and always has been the under-labourer to science. The only aspects of it that can be applied practically are ethics and logic. The rest is pretty much a study of how people attempted to understand the world before modern science. Dressed up in flowery meandering language of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jakkass wrote: »
    You asked earlier if there was anything that would convince me that God doesn't exist. To be honest with you, it would have to be fairly rigorous given what I've been through in the last few years. However, if one could make a solid case as to why the Resurrection did not happen, it would undermine the central position in Christianity:

People don't raise from the dead. QED

If you have evidence to the contrary I'm all ears. A great many people have made similarly fantastical claims and I don't believe them any more than you do so why should we treat your magic story any different? "Indicatory evidence" such as "all those other millions of people who have made fantastical claims throughout history were lying/deluded/wrong but it's so unlikely that these 12 guys were just like all the others* that it's reasonable to believe that some guy rose from the dead" just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

*And of course the arguments used to support this are invariably based on things like the persecution they're claimed to have suffered and no one ever seems to see the problem with relying on one claim from these people to support the veracity of their other claims. It's just one big exercise in "the bible's true because the bible says so"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    People don't raise from the dead. QED

Jim Jones said he could. He could also cure cancer, in front of a whole lot of people.
    The 900 people that killed themselves at his command believed him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jim Jones said he could. He could also cure cancer, in front of a whole lot of people.

:eek:

900 people killed himself at this command!?!?!?

He must have been a really special guy, I find it hard to believe that so many people could have been convinced if he was a fraud and they must have been absolutely convinced to kill themselves for him. That settles it, I'm now a Jonesian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Ye these examples completely destroy Jakkass' main argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

liamw wrote: »
    Ye these examples completely destroy Jakkass' main argument

Therefore they obviously don't count. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Dare I ask, what is so robust about Dawkins' defence of atheism 1) that doesn't involve the attack of Christianity, or 2) in general?

What is your defence for not believing in thor? Is your question realy what is Dawkins defence of Anti-Theism? If so, what's your defence for Christianity?

BTW: Thor is so much cooler then Yaweh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Odin is where it's at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

B - This is another option. However, it results in the denial of Jewish and Roman historical sources concerning the existence, and the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth. Namely, Tactius, Pliny the Younger, Josephus, and the Babylonian Talmud.

Tacitus wrote 70 years after the 'event'as did pliny and both used described christians by describing christian beliefs. much as i would do, however if i was writting a piece on the truth of the christian myth i would insert 'eroneously'.

The babalonian talmud makes reference to Yeshu and yet again this varies wildly from the biblical account.

the fact is that these account have little value as they cannot be taken as independant verification of the gospel, nor can they be taken as not being simply a repeat of stories they heard about the christians.

It is similar to taking the book of invasions (Leabhar Gabhala Eireann) as accurate testamony that there are fomorians off the coast of donegal. I mean the Milesians were decendants of Mil Espaine and recent genetic research as shown that the bronze age irish are closely related to the basque people.

therefore the rest of the book must be right. therefore balor could shoot lazers from his eyes and his son is cyclops from the x men.

ps balor could kick odin's and thor's ass!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ps balor could kick odin's and thor's ass!
    I raise you one Morgoth.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    I raise you one Morgoth.

i see your morgoth and raise you one Megatron with a chainsaw on a stick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

God Trumps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

i see your morgoth and raise you one Megatron with a chainsaw on a stick

I laugh at your megatron and raise you a couple of Killer Japanese Seizure Robots and one .. well heres a pic.

edie: Seriously, maybe not a good idea going to those seizure robots, I nearly had a seizure

klaatu-barada-nikto-giant-robot-gort-demotivational-poster-1273855977.jpg

monosharp wrote: »
    I laugh at your megatron and raise you a couple of Killer Japanese Seizure Robots and one .. well heres a pic.

edie: Seriously, maybe not a good idea going to those seizure robots, I nearly had a seizure

aw man, you used up all the aewsome. i conceed defeat and am vanquished. now lets decide what was created out our clash of the gods/giant space robots.

i vote pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Mwahahaha.

Your gods are all feeble and weak. All hail:

cuteness-kitty.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Morgoth now, he's badass. He's my new Flying Spaghetti Monster argument.

ALL HAIL MELKOR! Greatest of the Ainur.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What's with all these robot baddies? Sheesh, a god that can rust?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

robindch wrote: »
    Sheesh, a god that can rust?!

The Devil couldn't, mind you. No rust for the wicked.

WHOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Wacker wrote: »
    The Devil couldn't, mind you. No rust for the wicked.

WHOOO!

Unless he's the Robot Devil. Not rust proof...

robot-devil.png

Advertisement