Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypertension/ High Blood Pressure

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Fair enough Sam, bad choice of words on my behalf.

Should have read "is this type of fluctuation normal?"

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomyr7

I was diagnosed with Hypertension over a year ago.
    I'm 23 next month. I'm currently taking micardis plus.

I got some Blood Pressure readings taken at a check up with the Doctor but he put it down to white coat syndrome so I got a 24hr monitor & it came back with high results. Since then I've been prescribed Micardis.

I went back to the doctor in March of this year and got another 24hr monitor which was also high (I'd stopped takikng the tablets in february/march).
    So he put me on Micardis Plus.

I'm overwieght and I was told that if I'd lost some of it that the blood pressure would drop so I went on a total lifestyle change (eating healthy & regular exercise, no fizzy drinks, no eating after 8pm, breakfast consisting of a 1-orange juice, 2-banana, 3-frozen fuit in a shake etc etc).
    Did this for a month & lost just over a stone. Went back for a checkup & 24hr monitor and my BP had dropped significantly.

So it seems fro me that my weight/diet is causing my hypertension.

Some of the symptoms I have which could possibly be put down to Hypertension is:
    1: Occasional Dizzyness/Head aches :(
    2: Blurred Vision which starts in the centre of my vision and works its way outward like a ring until dissapears from my vision which is followed by a headache. :confused:
    3: Anger/Short Fuse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Just out of hospital after a week and a bit. I was admitted for hypertension and headaches. The headaches disappeared when I was admitted but the blood pressure kept going up and down. On 2 different meds (can't remember which ones right now) and using home BP machine to keep a track of the BP each day. It seems to have settled down now fairly normal levels.

My partner informed me yesterday that I have developed a short fuse since coming out of hospital :o It didnt make any sense to me until I started to research it today and found the above post by tomyr7.

Has anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hi all,
    I've had high bp for a long time but for years the docs said it was probably caused by my fertility treatments. Then I got pregnant (:D) and they had to treat it so I was on a HUGE dose of meds throughout my pregnancy. After I had my little boy in 2009 my bp remained high and I was kept on my meds!
    Last October I changed my lifestyle and I have lost over 3 stone!
    I cannot tell you the difference this has made to my health.
    I am on the very minimum dose of meds now and feel so much better.
    I had major surgery 4 years ago and have just had to have the same surgery last week. The difference in my recovery this time is incredible and many of the medical staff in the hospital had attributed this to my weight loss.
    My bp is normal (although as I say I am on the minimum dose of meds).
    I would certainly encourage anyone who is overweight and suffering with high bp to try to lose weight. It makes such a significant difference to your overall health. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

When you get a 24 hour blood pressure monitor, do you get the results from it straight away, or do you have to wait for them?

I'm getting it done in my local GP (Fairview Medical Centre) as opposed to a hospital, if that makes a difference.

Also, does anyone know if VHI will refund any of the cost ... it's costing €100 - I could get it done publicly for free, but would be waiting a while. Last few times I got my BP taken, it was around 180/120 or similar ... as I'm in my mid-20s and amn't overweight and don't drink heavily or smoke, the doctor is a bit concerned. So I think it's best to just get it done now, even though it's so expensive.

Thanks for any info!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That sounds quite expensive. I get my monitor from my GP and it usually costs €55 unless I'm also having blood tests. They should have the results for you by the next day, they only have to download the data onto their computer and read it.

It helps to wear something loose and comfortable when you're having the monitor put on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Have had high bp since was 35.was on codiovan for few yrs but got a little too low.then my gp put me on diovan 80mg and was doing so well she decided to reduce me again. Blood pressure got high again so was put back on the 80mg diovan a few wks ago. It still hasn't come down to normal levels though.is there some cumulative effect.makes no sense that 6 months ago the 80mg kept under control but now doesn't. Am frustrated that i wasn't kept on that dose. Anyway know why this might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Have had high bp since early 30s. my gp put me on diovan 80mg and was doing so well she decided to reduce me to 40mg 6 months ago. Blood pressure got high again so was put back on the 80mg diovan a few wks ago. It still hasn't come down to normal levels though-have a home monitor and first time takin since dose increased to original levels.is there some cumulative effect.makes no sense that 6 months ago the 80mg kept under control but now doesn't. Am frustrated that i wasn't kept on that dose. Anyone have this experience? Will go to doctor next wk ,just can't understand it.

Advertisement