Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Libertarian explosion coming from?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    if they want to gamble with numbers on screens then that's their problem, there are trillions of derivatives out there few times larger than the world economy

the only reason that the banking fiasco became our problem, is because the government made it our problem

The main reasons the government made it our problem are because
    A, pretty much everyone in the state would have lost all their life savings if the banks had collapsed

B. Without banking and clearing systems, economic activity in the state would have ground to a complete standstill (if only temporarily)

On top of those main reasons, there were of course the complicating factors like the desire of politicians to cover their tracks and protect their own interests, but it is extremely disingenuous to claim that the financial collapse only became 'our problem' because the banks were bailed out.

If the banking system had collapsed, there would have been absolute uproar and blood on the streets as people lost their savings, their pensions, their insurance, everyone would have been totally wiped out leaving only those with un-mortgaged property and other concrete assets having anything of any value. (ironically, those who would also benefit would be the poor, having nothing to lose, would stand to gain from a more equal playing field... fight club stylee)

To those who know me here, (i haven't been posting much recently, too busy) you know that I am extremely critical of the way the governments of the world have handled this crisis. But to have those who did a great deal to cause the problem (self regulation pd libertarian ideologues) trying to pretend that they had nothing to do with the collapse and are the only ones with a solution is just too galling to take lying down.

Laissez faire capitalism has failed miserably. It should be consigned to the dustbin of history, alongside statist marxism.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

This post has been deleted.

Cogent arguments have been made by myself and others, they have been largely ignored.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65811434&postcount=53

Which isn't surprising off-course, when dogma is confronted with contradicting facts and reality, it often looks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Again, we're off-topic. While I appreciate that this thread is a very tempting place to have a go at libertarianism, that's not the purpose of the thread. If it's just going to be a handbag-fest, it will have to be closed.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

bite,,,,, do you ascribe to left or right libertarianism?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Again, we're off-topic. While I appreciate that this thread is a very tempting place to have a go at libertarianism, that's not the purpose of the thread. If it's just going to be a handbag-fest, it will have to be closed.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

It would be a shame to close this thread, a lot of very good posts have been made.

However I do reconise the need for moderators to regulate boards.ie for the general benefit of users.;)

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_D%C3%A9jacque
    Paranoid conspiracy theorists? Scientologists? :rolleyes:

Honestly, the quality of debate in this thread would be much improved if libertarianism's detractors could actually make the occasional cogent argument, rather than just flapping their arms and slinging insults.
    If you don't believe that conspiracy theory has a part to play in the massive increase in self described 'libertarians' on the net, just speak to any 'libertarian' and quote this phrase "the federal reserve is illegal"

You'll have them whooping in chorus about the evil Fed and how it's run by a cabal of institutional bankers on behalf of the new world order. When you have this view of history as a central belief, that attracts an awful lot of nutters.

Anarchists tend to believe that economies are run for the benefit of industrialists and capitalists, but this is an institutional analysis based on how the system is set up, and anarchists want to alter the rules of the game to change the balance of power. Conspiracy theorists don't do this, they think that everything is being manipulated from behind the scenes and that bad decisions are made on purpose rather than as just a failure of a weak and corrupt system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Well if that is all we are discussing here then I closed the case on page 4 :)
    I think there is a rise now because more people are looking inward and asking why am I paying this much when person B is only paying this. It reflects a rise in selfishness. People are thinking if they are left to operate under their own steam that they will thrive.

Of course these people (at least the ones I've debated) already have a good means of production - either education or wealth or both. When they attribute blame for the financial crisi they speak of government failure, ignoring the major role private companies played and ironically lecturing on personal responsility in the next breath. The rise in libertarianism comes from the rise in over educated self obsessed individuals who underestimate individual differences, thinking 'if I can do it, anyone can'. They see inequality and accept it.

I would summarise as 'a Freudian-type transference of blaming FF for f***ing up so much in this country to the idea of government in general'.

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    It would be a shame to close this thread, a lot of very good posts have been made.

However I do reconise the need for moderators to regulate boards.ie for the general benefit of users.;)

This is a private forum whose statutes and members need protecting!! We all choose to be here. How dare you compare it to a country that has statutes and er... citizens who also choose to live in...... I've lost my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 joehanley55

Tragedy of commons does not simply concern animals or land, but in the animals example you give, what stops a company buying up all shark from the locals who 'own' them and selling them to a market that demands shark meat??

there's nothing to stop someone from buying up all the sharks and selling them, but that would be a pretty short lived business venture, a much better idea for him would be to make shark farms and produce them on a consistent basis. imagine the one guy who didnt sell his sharks to this shark buyer, wat a great monetary investment for him, once the shark buyer has sold all his sharks, the guy who didnt sell's now cornered the market and has gone from a lowly shark owner to a shark magnate cause he was intuitive and smart, now he can make a shark farm and make lots of money... imagine a society where people were encouraged to be productive and helpful to society, instead of the situatioin we have now where its just about how much u can get the gov to do for you. people work things out, and those with bad business pratices generally fail (cept when the government keeps them afloat):pac::cool::eek:

Well if that is all we are discussing here then I closed the case on page 4 :)

I would summarise as 'a Freudian-type transference of blaming FF for f***ing up so much in this country to the idea of government in general'.

I think there are two types of libertarian, the 'I'm alright jack' type that you've described above, those who resent the government interfering in their ability to make money for themselves. These are the PD voters or less than 2% of the irish population

Then there are the net libertarians, These are people who became interested in politics following 9/11 and joined the 'truth' movement and became sucked into the alex jones-o sphere. It is a vast internet based echo chamber where people are constatly telling each other to WAKE UP and linking to the ludwig Von Mises institute website. They believe the government lied to them about 9/11 and therefore is capable of lying about anything, and therein lies the seed to reject all authority but not the education or self awareness to develop a coherent critical assesment of their newly held beliefs.

It's a really unusual sub-culture that needs further study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I'll try and address some of the points made later on; I'm busy at the moment.

I just want to make a point. It seems people here are having a fun time telling libertarians what they are. "Libertarians love instability and think the collapse of an industry is a good thing", "their ranks are over populated with paranoid conspiracy theorists", "These are people who became interested in politics following 9/11 and joined the 'truth' movement and became sucked into the alex jones-o sphere" etc. So what they're effectivly doing is making up some fauz-libertarianism in their head, attacking that made up idealogy the best they can, and then parading around as if they've debunked actual libertarianism.

As to this allegation that libertarians are loonies: two Nobel Economics laurettes are libertarians. Now, who's opinion to trust: a Nobel committee or some posters on boards.ie. I'm perplexed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

a much better idea for him would be to make shark farms and produce them on a consistent basis.
    But why believe this enterprising person would ever want to get into the drudergy of shark farming?
    He sees a market and he can make money from it right now.

It's the same thing with forestry.
    Buying up rainforest is cheap, the trees are worth money now.
    Why should I plant trees and wait around for 60-100 years for them to grow?
    Surely it's better to just move into new acreage and cut more, rinse and repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Has there ever been a goverment that libertarians would like to see emulated in Ireland?

So it's either: Let London Burn, or Mob-Rule Demolishes Buildings to try and save their own.

there's nothing to stop someone from buying up all the sharks and selling them, but that would be a pretty short lived business venture, a much better idea for him would be to make shark farms and produce them on a consistent basis. imagine the one guy who didnt sell his sharks to this shark buyer, wat a great monetary investment for him, once the shark buyer has sold all his sharks, the guy who didnt sell's now cornered the market and has gone from a lowly shark owner to a shark magnate cause he was intuitive and smart, now he can make a shark farm and make lots of money... imagine a society where people were encouraged to be productive and helpful to society, instead of the situatioin we have now where its just about how much u can get the gov to do for you. people work things out, and those with bad business pratices generally fail (cept when the government keeps them afloat):pac::cool::eek:

I'm not sure to what extent that post was taking the piss, but I did have a conversation with a libertarian who did genuinely propose protecting ocean life through privatising the oceans and having people farm the commercially viable species.

It was ludicrous. I explained that many species of wild fish have to migrate over thousands of miles to spawn and to feed and simply to follow the ocean currents as temperatures change over the year, and it would be totally impractical to fence off the oceans to protect fish as doing so would cause them to freeze to death in winter and starve or death in summer. The response was predictably insane. The problem was not with the idea of fencing off the oceans, but that our fence technology was not well developed enough yet, and if we put enough research into it, we could develop new fences that could solve all the problems I had raised.

The only chance we have of protecting the oceans is international treaties enforcing regulations to protect the habitat of these species. The free market not only does not help, the fact that the rarer the fish, the higher it's price is, means that left unprotected, within a very very short space of time, we will drive many of our most popular fish species into extinction and the entire ocean food chain would be dismantled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

But they are our own handbags, and we should be allowed do as we like with them. Inalienable property rights and all that.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    But why believe this enterprising person would ever want to get into the drudergy of shark farming?

Surely it's better to just move into new acreage and cut more, rinse and repeat.

he doesnt sound very enterprising if he doesnt want to opt for the obvious answer and open a shark farm. and like i said if he did sell them all oof, then like i said some oportunistic person probably would not have sold, and also, if he's selling these to the highest bidder, wat a great investment option for someone to buy the sharks off him and open his own farm. the great thing about the market is that you dont know wat its gonna do till it does it, cause measuring consumer wants and needs is very difficult.

also, its hard to believe, but people can decide to buy off this guy or not, if they dont like wat he's doing they are not forced to buy off him. thats wat a non-statist society is, removing force as much as possible.

i understand that some guy who's enherited alot ogf money could go mad and just buy and kill a bunch of sharks, or whales or watever animal you feel strongly about not killing(probably not cows or chickens), and a libertarian society isnt perfect.

but, as im sure you know, the governments of the world arent exactly doing a great job of protecting animals and rainforests at the moment. in fact, i might go so far out on a limb and say are actually helping to destroy animals and the rainforest............:pac::cool::P:confused:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

As to this allegation that libertarians are loonies: two Nobel Economics laurettes are libertarians.
    So that's two out of... sixty four.
    I'm perplexed...
    Indeed.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    The only chance we have of protecting the oceans is international treaties enforcing regulations to protect the habitat of these species. The free market not only does not help, the fact that the rarer the fish, the higher it's price is, means that left unprotected, within a very very short space of time, we will drive many of our most popular fish species into extinction and the entire ocean food chain would be dismantled

the fact of the matter is that when things are communally owned as you are suggesting, no one has any interest in them, and they die out then cause people will go out and fish as much as possible and rape the oceans. if people have an interest in the resource, then they will try to maintain a steady stream of that resource. by protecting the resource.

your idea of the goverments of the world, who are useless at everything they do, protecting all the species of fish in the ocean using regulations is quite laughable. they may make treaties, but enforcing them would not help them get re-elected, so i dont understand why they would enforce the treaties???:P:P

BluePlanet wrote: »

If I could set myself up for life by making sharks extinct, would I? no. But could I be sure that someone else wouldn't if there were no regulations? not at all, in fact I'd bet there is someone out there that'd revel in it.

Libertarianism promotes short sightedness as even though we should care about what happens beyond our years, and libertarianism wrongly thinks people do, there are people who don't care and are motivated by immediate gain and feathering their own nests.

How would a libertarian system stop this immediate gain at the expense of future generations??

Oh yes thats right, it wouldn't because a libertarian system doesn't care, it only concerns the individual. It is essentially careless, as you've admitted yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Almost as many as there were nazi Nobel prize winners, by george. Did they win the prize for their work in Libertarianism?

I'll try and address some of the points made later on; I'm busy at the moment.

I just want to make a point. It seems people here are having a fun time telling libertarians what they are. "Libertarians love instability and think the collapse of an industry is a good thing", "their ranks are over populated with paranoid conspiracy theorists", "These are people who became interested in politics following 9/11 and joined the 'truth' movement and became sucked into the alex jones-o sphere" etc. So what they're effectivly doing is making up some fauz-libertarianism in their head, attacking that made up idealogy the best they can, and then parading around as if they've debunked actual libertarianism.
    The idea that there is 'actual libertarianism' is flawed. If you take 10 self described libertarians and get them to explain to you what libertarianism is, you'll get 10 different answers.
    There is no widely accepted definition of Libertarian that covers all people who self describe as libertarian.
    There are so called 'anarcho capitalists' who think there should be no state at all and as much capitalism as possible, there are 'austrian school' libertarians, there are adam smith/thatcherite adherents who just think the government should do as little interfering as possible, but have no real objection to state forces cracking miner skull every now and then. There are the PD style libertarians who just want reduced regulations and more liberal laws on personal freedoms, there are those who want to privatise everything, and there are the conspiracy theorist new world order libertarians who are afraid of the big bad illuminati

I am describing what I see, the majority of libertarians who contribute to Irish message boards do fit the description I gave of them. Of course there are other people who describe themselves as libertarians who are not conspiratorial or who think some government intervention is a good thing, but that's as personal as asking an irish catholic what they think the holy spirit looks like.

As to this allegation that libertarians are loonies: two Nobel Economics laurettes are libertarians. Now, who's opinion to trust: a Nobel committee or some posters on boards.ie. I'm perplexed...
    Not all libertarians are loonies, only the loonies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... a libertarian society isnt perfect...

Libertarian society?

If I could set myself up for life by making sharks extinct, would I? no. But could I be sure that someone else wouldn't if there were no regulations? not at all, in fact I'd bet there is someone out there that'd revel in it.

Libertarianism promotes short sightedness as even though we should care about what happens beyond our years, and libertarianism wrongly thinks people do, there are people who don't care and are motivated by immediate gain and feathering their own nests.

ya, i cant really understand how making sharks extinct is going to set someone up for life??

and if your quam with libertarianism is shortsightedness, think about wat the alternative to libertarianism, statism. states of the world havent exaclty shown themselves to be long sighted (how much is the natoinal debt at now). and why would they be, they only have to do enough to keep getting elected till they die. wat a great idea public debt was for them, spend loads, dont tax the equivilant necessary, and let people pay for it when you're dead or retired with all the money you managed to loot from the people. i think anyone can see that a libertarian society would be alot less shortsighted than the state system we have now.:cool::mad::):rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Libertarian society?

You haven't seen Mad Max 2?

• Advertisement

ya, i cant really understand how making sharks extinct is going to set someone up for life??
    You've apparently failed to grasp the concept of short-term profit.
    The enterprising person in my example isn't concerned with "settingup for life", naw he just wants to squeeze the blood from this particular stone to give him the capital for his next venture.
    i think anyone can see that a libertarian society would be alot less shortsighted than the state system we have now.
    And yet you have totally failed to make that case.

Advertisement