Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in value-Passat?

Options
  • 07-05-2010 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have a '00 Passat TDi and am considering changing, Does anyone have a rough idea of trade in values against a car worth about 5k? Car has a brand new nct and is in good shape.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Right , well we'll work on the car being in better than average condition, a good colour i.e silver / blue , 120,000 miles on board and in need of nothing more than a minor service and a valet.....

€1200 Trade in value ish IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would say the trade value is about 750-1250 and the discount may be another few hundred, so anywhere between 1000-1500 depending on how well priced the car you're buying is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Sell it private for a minimum of €2k. I sold my 98 TDI passat in January for €1600 with no tax, NCT or service history.

Put it on dondeal and they'll bite your arm off for it, I could have easily sold 10 when I was selling.

You are then in a much stronger position to get a better price on the car you buy when you have no trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will be worth more if you sell it privately and then buy the new car at a straight deal discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

bazz26 wrote: »
    It will be worth more if you sell it privately and then buy the new car at a straight deal discount.

Their was actually a man here last night looking for one:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Thanks, was hoping it would be a bit more to be honest. My friend recently traded in a 99 corolla for €2000 off a car that was selling for €3500. Have considered selling privately but thought it would take a while these days! Might be worth a try thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thanks, was hoping it would be a bit moer tbe honest. My friend recently traded in a 99 corolla for €2000 off a car that was selling for €3500. Have considered selling privately but thought it would take a while these days! Might be worth a try thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055903203
    Here he is

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks, was hoping it would be a bit more to be honest. My friend recently traded in a 99 corolla for €2000 off a car that was selling for €3500. Have considered selling privately but thought it would take a while these days! Might be worth a try thanks.

The car is only worth so much to a garage, they have to service it, valet it, offer some sort of warranty on it in and then price it to include a profit.

Also what your friend got for a Corolla has very little relevence, for all you know the price of the car he bought was overpriced to begin with so it may have been a case of getting a higher trade in price against an overpriced car meaning no advantage.

If trading up then the important price is the cost to change price not the trade-in value of your old car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Thanks for all your help guys

Advertisement