Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap TDI Passat (old shape) - buyer beware?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

generally end of model line cars are more reliable then new release models...
    they have had time to fix the problems that have risen over the course of its life ....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That is not cheap for a 10 year old Passat imo. Personally I think the car is worth about €2500. Sounds to me like the dealer is looking to recoup the money back that was paid on the respray. Actually I am a bit puzzled as to why someone would spend so much money on respraying a 10 year old car given that they most likely will not get that money back.

Regarding reliability, those TDi are pretty reliable once they are looked after, the rest of the car might not stand the test of time as well though, make sure to check the gearbox is ok along with the suspension and electrics which can be iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sligogringo

Thanks for speedy replies - i love Boards.ie

@robtri - you make a valid point with end of line models having their quirky problems sorted over time..

@bazz26 - yes, it does not seem cheap and I said this to the dealer, he said others also told him it was not cheap. He admitted the respray pushed the price up, but he said he would never respray a car if he thought it was only fit for scrap and then he told me a bit more background of how he got the car. Basically he took stock of 28 VW cars from a major VW dealer in dublin who had 400+ used VW cars on his lot since the end of "the boom". The car had been scratched from being parked in a forgotten corner of the busy 400+ yard - it was in perfect running order but in the boom times nobody was interested in such used cars.

It does have full VW service history so I am optimistic that it has been well looked after (for a 10 yr old car)

If the car looks sweet, what should I offer? I am crap at haggling and this is my first car purchase! I reckon offer €3,000...or should I start lower? I notice this car has been on carzone for a few weeks now (maybe 3), he said he was having trouble getting the asking price so this should only work in my favor in terms of haggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thanks for speedy replies - i love Boards.ie

@robtri - you make a valid point with end of line models having their quirky problems sorted over time..

@bazz26 - yes, it does not seem cheap and I said this to the dealer, he said others also told him it was not cheap. He admitted the respray pushed the price up, but he said he would never respray a car if he thought it was only fit for scrap and then he told me a bit more background of how he got the car. Basically he took stock of 28 VW cars from a major VW dealer in dublin who had 400+ used VW cars on his lot since the end of "the boom". The car had been scratched from being parked in a forgotten corner of the busy 400+ yard - it was in perfect running order but in the boom times nobody was interested in such used cars.

It does have full VW service history so I am optimistic that it has been well looked after (for a 10 yr old car)

If the car looks sweet, what should I offer? I am crap at haggling and this is my first car purchase! I reckon offer €3,000...or should I start lower? I notice this car has been on carzone for a few weeks now (maybe 3), he said he was having trouble getting the asking price so this should only work in my favor in terms of haggling.

Lad 4k is mad for a 00 i think baz is correct in fact i would offer him 2.200 to start

Cheers SARASON....on further investigation the asking price is way too dear - I just checked out their website...it says they do Panel Beating & Spraying so really the €800 respray job he mentioned was done onsite by one of his employees (he implied that it was done elsewhere..."the guy who did it is really good" blah blah blah)

So ya...I'll offer €2,200 and take it from there (if the car is any good at all)

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I wouldn't buy a car which was sleeping in a car lot for months without running.

check production date of tyres. (4 digit in a rectangular on side of tyres like 2304 = 23rd weeks of 2004)

check length of service intervals. oil in engine may not be lubricating enough if it stays in engine more than a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Check out this thread for info.

Thanks PaulKK -some good info there, cheers!

I'm going to avoid this particular car, as Kerten said its not a great idea buying a car that has been sitting in a parking lot for a long time, better off buying something that has been in regular use..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds expensive, test drove a 00 passat TDI a few weeks back, seller was looking for 1750 (136 miles)

Advertisement