Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: Jameson Whiskey is Vegan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Peanut wrote: »
    Ok I wasn't aware that finings might possibly be used in the wash. I thought distillation and subsequent chill filtering would take care of most of that.
    I used to have a still myself and have read a lot about the subject, most people will clear a wash before distilling, this is since the burning/heated yeast can impart flavours into the final distillate. Absolutely no solids will pass over during the distillation process so no yeast or finings etc are in the distillate. This is why I think some will call it vegan, as they wrongly think vegan means no animal products in the actual drink (or is this what some would actually consider vegan?).
    The vegetarian society doesn't mention it on their page here, although there is contradictory information from Jameson again here.
    Is that a contradiction? there is no animal products in the end product it so it is vegetarian, that pages own definition says
    A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products.
    They would not be eating/drinking the finings as they are left behind upon distillation.

The barnivore sites says
    "I wrote Jameson at least a year ago and inquired about the use of gelatin, isinglass, or other animal products in the whiskey. I received a personal email from an administrative employee who researched the matter. She thoroughly explained that isinglass was indeed used for clarification of the liquid, and though it was filtered out completely with the impurities from the clarified whiskey, that yes, technically, that meant that it did not fit my definition of vegan. She did state that that was the only animal-derived product in the process."
    I'm not convinced that there would be a widespread process of clearing the wash when it's going to be distilled anyway.
    Most distillers I knew did it, though they were hobby distillers. There is a lot of cleanup required after distilling yeasty washes so I would be surprised if the majority of commercial ones were not clearing, also I mentioned it imparts off flavours. This does not mean they are all using animal based finings/methods of course. They also mention the bone activated charcoal used for filtering by some distillers.
    I think that's fairly clear cut when they say "No animal product is used in production.".
    I would disagree, if professional chefs are confused these distillers could well be too. It was easy to find 2 cases where the spirits were not vegan, the one using honey and now jameson is questionable too. I would contact jameson with that email and ask them to clarify if their process has changed since then.

This line is questionable
    There is no Isinglass in Bushmills products.
    But is there any isinglass USED in its production. I would be certain there is no isinglass in the actual products, that is not in doubt.

I said earlier it might be a suggestion to inform them of how others fail, and provide a big checklist of things. e.g.Were animal based finings in any stage of the production of the beverages stored in the barrels prior to your spirits being stored in them?

Were animal based products used in the clearing of the wash before distillation? (this also applies to spirits produced and stored in the barrels before your product)

And put notes in like "NOTE: Vegan does not mean no animal products in the final distillate/product, if finings were used at any stage the product is not vegan."
    With respect to Bourbon, the difference between it and Scotch for example is that they only use new oak casks for aging, .
    I was not thinking of barrels with the bourbon, again it was the fining prior to distillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I agree there is room for weasel words from manufacturers about exactly what goes into their products, and as you say a lot of it is just down to confusion about their own product.

But there comes a point where you have to give them benefit of the doubt -
    If their line is "No animal product is used in production." then I think it's reasonable to take that at face value, especially if they also mention something like Isinglass etc. which gives some suggestion that they are aware of how it might be used.

I think the idea of a checklist is a good one, it's essentially the idea behind something like the vegetarian society symbol. I'm pretty sure this would also cover the case of animal products used in production but not in the final product - their accreditation criteria includes a cross-contamination requirement which would not make sense if non-vegetarian products were used in manufacture,
    No cross contamination during the production process

This extends to all associated machinery, equipment, utensils, surfaces and clothing, which must remain free from non vegetarian ingredients before vegetarian products are touched, prepared, produced or packaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Jameson is vegan! This is good news....apart from the fact I have to avoid most wheat products -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

rubadub wrote: »
    I used to have a still myself ...

Nice...:pac:
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Jameson is vegan! This is good news....apart from the fact I have to avoid most wheat products -.-

Do you think the Jameson's would be a problem?
    You could try Redbreast or Green Spot, I think they just use barley malt ("pure pot still") and don't blend with spirits from other grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could try Redbreast or Green Spot, I think they just use barley malt ("pure pot still") and don't blend with spirits from other grains.
    Yeah, most whiskeys & beers are brewed from barley, though could have wheat. But you are distilling the alcohol, so I doubt any allergens from wheat would pass over in the process, it is just pure alcohol going over, the colour & taste comes mainly from the barrels (i.e. it is not like beer) -though obviously you would want to speak to your doctor if it is a serious allergy.

I emailed jameson yesterday, no reply yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement