Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Curran found guilty of Polish mens murder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

While I feel sorry for the senslaess muders of these two Dublin residents and their families, I wonder why the same outrcry was not evident when Brian Murphy was murdered outside Annabelles in 2006? This poor unfortunate was murdered by rich kids and they did no time in prison for this. Is it the fact that the two guys were non nationals and the weapon was different than the boots used by the 4 killers make it a more serious crime? Is Brian Murphy less dead because of the weapon? Make me wonder about sentencing in this country. If David Curran was from Foxrock and the two unfortunate dead men were Irish, I will bet that there would not be a word about it.This is clearly wrong. Same as when that you black guy was killed, there was such an outcry about it and the liberarls tried to make it a racist motivated murder. It was not and like this case it was just a vicious killing and terrible but no more than more sensless needless deaths.

Brian Murphy was killed in 2000, not 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

hinault wrote: »
    capital punishment by death.

The worst kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Kill 2 people and get 1 life sentence? Scandalous.

Why hasn't this story made more of a fuss? Murders aren't rare in this country anymore, but double murders are extremely rare. I can't understand why there's isn't more attention on this - Why hasn't this man become like a Joe O'Reily or a Myra Hindley in people's folk memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Absolutely appalling crime. That piece of **** is off the streets now thankfully but the scary thing is that there are other pieces of **** coming up behind him...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

hinault wrote: »
    Personally I think Curran should be subject to capital punishment by death.

I'd gladly incinerate him and his ilk.

Agree fully with ya.

Regardless of what the liberals say (especially those muppets in the Irish Council for Civil Liberties), some form of capital punishment should still be extant for the most heinous crimes. Crime of this sort has risen so dramatically and become so ruthless, stringent measures have to be taken against scum like Curran.

I firmly believe if put to the people and examples like Curran's used, a referendum for the reinstatement of the death penalty would be overwhelmingly passed by the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mikom wrote: »
    The worst kind.

Killed to death no less

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Lauder wrote: »

I firmly believe if put to the people and examples like Curran's used, a referendum for the reinstatement of the death penalty would be overwhelmingly passed by the people.

A referendum to remove the capital option from the constitution was overwhelmingly passed a few years ago. I doubt so many people would have changed their minds in the intervening period. When it comes to the state taking another persons life, most people actually think about it in calm, reasoned manner, not with the hysteria that you get from some posters here.

I do believe though, that life sentence should mean far more than the 15 years it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

This piece of **** will do no where near 20 years, I'd be shocked if he done more than 7.

Scumbag should be put down.

falan wrote: »
    Absolutely appalling crime. That piece of **** is off the streets now thankfully but the scary thing is that there are other pieces of **** coming up behind him...:mad:

Hopefully David Curran will get to know that feeling in the Mountjoy showers for the duration of his sentence...

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Tusky wrote: »
    20 years for killing two people ? Its a joke. Should be 30+ in my opinion. How is a life sentence only 10 years?

The appalling reality is that many like Curran live in freedom among us today and there are many like him who will be soon free to murder again.Curran himself could be out in 20 years.The future is grim:it is not difficult to imagine an appalling and unbearable vista of rampant mayhem,slaughter and anarchy in the decades to come for this failing society and state.Utter chaos awaits our children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

Einhard wrote: »
    Hopefully David Curran will get to know that feeling in the Mountjoy showers for the duration of his sentence...

The cockroach should be doing hard labour and surviving on gruel. And toilet water.

Just out of interest, did either of the two savages show any signs of remorse? According to newspaper articles on the court case, it seems they did not.

That is very disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

theboxer wrote: »
    Just out of interest, did either of the two savages show any signs of remorse? According to newspaper articles on the court case, it seems they did not.

That is very disturbing.

Indeed it is.And I believe that the Sacredness of Human life should be paramount in the Court's deliberations and the sentence accorded to the guilty should reflect the Court's respect and sympathy for the dead and living victims.It is also disturbing that this sentence is woefully inadequate and inappropriate.Cold Justice indeed.

Indeed it is.And I believe that the Sacredness of Human life should be paramount in the Court's deliberations and the sentence accorded to the guilty should reflect the Court's respect and sympathy for the dead and living victims.It is also disturbing that this sentence is woefully inadequate and inappropriate.Cold Justice indeed.

I cannot imagine what the two Polish lads families went through. It is sad to see young people leave their country, especially for their friends and family. But to have them return in a wooden box, heart breaking.

Upon release, these two bottom feeders should have their Irish citizenship rescinded and banished from this nation forever. Foook human rights. They were forgone when the scum stuck a screwdriver in the murdered lads head.

theboxer wrote: »
    Upon release, these two bottom feeders should have their Irish citizenship rescinded and banished from this nation forever. Foook human rights. They were forgone when the scum stuck a screwdriver in the murdered lads head.

LOL yeah, here Australia, we don't want these two murderin' ****ers anymore so we're sending em over to you lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Gillington wrote: »
    20 years for 2 lives is a joke,but at least he's been put away.Gonna have to watch his back from any Poles inside.

Basically he is getting like 10 years for each life he took.
    GOD what bulls**t.
    Over in America you would get 20 flippin years for aggravated burglary! :mad:

seamus wrote: »
    Given the accuracy and coldness of the attacks, I'd be surprised if these were David Curran's first murders. Someone who's angry and lashing out, doesn't aim for the temple with a screwdriver and land it spot on, twice in a row.

That's definitely a possibility :eek:
    TheTMO wrote: »
    Text messages had gone backwards and forwards between Curran and the young teenage girl the night of the killing.

"Ha ha but like I can't believe it. Mad nite xxxx," she said.

He replied: "F*** it. Delete message. Get a new number tomorrow."

That mad me sick.
    How the hell can she get away with it. Her statement is there like why can't they do anything....I know she is obviously underage but they could do something >.<

Ozzy wrote: »
    So why haven't we enforced more severe consequences? Why are the laws not amended tomorrow??

..And how the fuck has it got to the stage where it manages to cost 90k euro a year for one prisoner??

Because nobody cares until it happens to someone they know.
    They don't care about getting the law changed.

That 90k is utter bull as well. Doesn't cost a regular person that much to be kept fed and housed.

Is it true in prisons in Ireland they have tellys and pool tables and such things? Or is that just thejuvenile detension centres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd believe there are "leisure rooms" in prisons. The claims of games consoles, plasma-screen TVs, Sky Plus, laptops/internet and DVD players per cell I'd be more skeptical about though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd believe there are "leisure rooms" in prisons. The claims of games consoles, plasma-screen TVs, Sky Plus, laptops/internet and DVD players per cell I'd be more skeptical about though...

Why the hell are they allowed all that even in a "leisure" room?
    It's prison they are suppose to be stripped of all those luxury things.
    Do away with all that.
    Have huge flippin library.
    Learn few courses.
    Come out with an education!

Prison officials should spend the money that would have been used on electricity for all those appliances and the internet, on anger management course/psych courses of some kind!

arrggghh. Would drive you mad -.-

Well in a prison with various wings, why should petty criminals be denied a pool table and a TV/DVD player (not any of the other stuff - I was only mentioning that because there are often claims of it being the case) because of the really bad 'uns? The lack of such facilities would surely make them worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Well in a prison with various wings, why should petty criminals be denied a pool table and a TV/DVD player because of the really bad 'uns? The lack of such facilities would surely make them worse?
    It's prison, not a holiday camp.

Concurrent sentencing is complete bull****. It's not like it will be twice as hard for him. I really do not understand the justification for it. Can the judge make the sentences run one after the other or is he forced to make them concurrent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Not sure where the bull**** stops and reality kicks in for this kind of thing. AFAIK, mountjoy prison has a library and some snooker tables. Certain prisoners have radios and televisions but they pay for them (not sure how).

I'd be very surprised if they have Internet if they're not even allowed mobiles. Be suprised if there were many contraband netbooks kicking around. May be different in different Irish prisons and prisons abroad.

On a separate note, Irish Prison officers have to maintain security and safety for all prisoners and allow them their basic rights. Taking 700/1000 dangerous men in very confined conditions and saying "right you're never getting out, you're not getting any special privileges so don't bother having good behaviour, don't mess around or we'll beat the crap out of you" won't work. At the end of the day, it's just a job for these guys, and they don't want to get stabbed by some dodgy **** because he's ultra miserable in prison.

Furthermore, prisons aren't rehab centers either. It's a hard balance to find between keeping the prisons operating safely for everyone and providing basic service cost effectively.

Seifer wrote: »
    It's prison, not a holiday camp.
    Not saying it should be so at all. I think a prison can be a tough environment yet still have a leisure room - ostensibly for the "lesser" offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The leisure incentives are a form of social control in the prisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

if he was in Stalin Russia he'd have been banished to Siberia for hard labour, for the rest of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭sickofwaiting

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Basically he is getting like 10 years for each life he took.
    GOD what bulls**t.
    Over in America you would get 20 flippin years for aggravated burglary! :mad:

OK can someone show me where the judge said he was getting "10 years for each life he took". I keep seeing people saying he's only got 20 years - AFAIK he was given a life sentence. So he may never get out, although he likely will with this being a joke of a soft touch country. The point is that he hasn't been given "20 years", with a life sentence it is down to the discretion of the authorities when he gets out. There are a couple of guys who have been in for over 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My friend lives round the corner from where this happened and we were pretty shocked by it, even by the yardstick of increasing knife crime. What was more sad was that from reading the witness reports, it was so obvious that the accident that started the row was probably premeditated. How many times have you seen it, or been on the receiving end of it yourself. Some dope 'bumps into' you or grabs your chips or whatnot, usually a girl or a young scobe who then go off to get the family cavalry when they get the slap they're looking for.

I think the actual sentence should have been duplicated - one for each murder and each term to run consecutively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

until we find the cause of why a 17 year old would have the motivation to do something like this instead of just saying oh he should be hung etc,it will continue to happen.

why dont we try stop the cause of this evil instead of just punishing it,because punishing clearly aint working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

until we find the cause of why a 17 year old would have the motivation to do something like this instead of just saying oh he should be hung etc,it will continue to happen.

why dont we try stop the cause of this evil instead of just punishing it,because punishing clearly aint working.

Oh, to be young again.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

PK2008 wrote: »
    Oh, to be young again.......

and its that ignorant attitude that will cause this to keep happening,lets just keep locking people up AFTER the crime is caused instead of trying to prevent it.

pig ignorant prick.

banned?it was worth it to try get my point across.:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

pig ignorant prick.

banned?it was worth it to try get my point across.:D;)

Until we find the cause of why a poster would have the motivation to do something like this instead of just saying oh he should be banned etc,it will continue to happen.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the Gander

Advertisement