Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooms in Goldsmith Hall?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I got my offer for rooms accepted today! Except it's for Goldsmith Hall and not Front Square or GMB which is what I had on my form..
    I was just wondering what Goldsmith rooms are like, because I don't know anyone who has lived there and never been in myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Whats the full room number?

From that I can tell you if it is courtyard/street has double bed etc

Goldsmith lacks the elegance of front square. Its clean, the lighting, heating and so on work. There is 24 hour security as well as the killer seagulls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ilovefrankee@ho

Oh yeah, sorry, it's : 61.3.07 "Apartment Single".

I'm so unsure of what to do. I said to myself if I got Front Square I'd definitely take it, but now I don't know.
    When you work it out the room rental per month is around €570, which is a lot.

Thanks for the quick reply also.

I've visited 61.3 for my sins

As far as I recall 61.3.07 faces into the courtyard so its away from traffic (nearly all rooms in Front Square face outwards) Its also far enough away as to not feel the trains rolling past. The apartment has two bathrooms shared between 5. The accommodations office can confirm that just to be sure.

You should focus on the basics, good nights sleep ranks very high

As I said it lacks the elegance of Front Square, but as apartments go its not the worst, functional and the bedrooms have more useful space than those in Botany bay. That said no high ceilings or large rooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

I think I lived in that apartment before. From what I can remember there was 5 bedrooms (1 en-suite) and 2 bathrooms. I think every apartment in Goldsmith has a max of 2 people per bathroom (or anyone I have been in).

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

goingnowhere, do you know anything about location of House 70? I've been allocated 70.1.09, would be curious to know if it's courtyard/street-facing etc, or if it's very near the trains!

• Advertisement

Thats at the far end of the courtyard, used to be a pain due the building works next door but thats over. Its away from the street entrance so will be spared the noise of people coming in late at night.

Its a strange one not sure if in or outward facing, but it shouldn't face directly on Pearse Street and is not directly backing onto Pearse station. I got lost in there once!

Only the low numbers in house 61 need to worry about the railway line, ie. 61.3.1, 61.3.5 is fine. In my time most of the trains had square wheels, that is no more so the vibration is minimal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

Goldsmith Hall = multi-storey dog kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Openmp wrote: »
    Goldsmith Hall = multi-storey dog kennels.

(Referring to your posts on this page and on this page - as well as this page too...)

Feeling a little anti-Trinity today are we?

Goldsmith hall far from being "multi-storey dog kennels". Granted the rooms are not extremely luxurious, it is still perfectly adequate. I'm fairly sure the majority of student accomodation isn't luxurious anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Whats the full room number?

From that I can tell you if it is courtyard/street has double bed etc

Goldsmith lacks the elegance of front square. Its clean, the lighting, heating and so on work. There is 24 hour security as well as the killer seagulls

Happen to know anything about 65.04.02?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

House 61 is right up against Pearse station, I'm afraid (but you get used to it) and I think that room faces out toward the climbing wall and rail bridge.

Ditto re bedrooms being fine, and it's very handy having the gym / dublinbikes stand at the foot of your stairs. The Goldsmith courtyard area was a nice surprise the first time I went up there. It also comes in handy to have access to campus via the Westland Row door, it's much more discreet than Front Arch if you follow me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HerringKing

Does anyone know if Goldsmith Hall has a wireless connection to the NAC?

For reference

Odd room numbers tend to face the courtyard, even numbers street (though not always). House 61 and 71 adjoin the railway station
    Does anyone know if Goldsmith Hall has a wireless connection to the NAC?

Every bedroom has a wired connection, there is no wireless in Goldsmith Hall and there are no plans to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Anyone have any idea what room 65.4.03 is like?

Bit of a bump there...

but if anyone does know about GS, how about 71.2? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

theowen wrote: »
    Soon to be smelly.

blubloblu wrote: »
    Soon to be smelly.
    That's just unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Single room facing courtyard, 4th floor. (I'm in one below it this year.) Goldsmith's actually fine despite its rep. Rooms are decently big as is the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mr.

Bit of a bump there...

but if anyone does know about GS, how about 71.2? :P

I used to live there! It's a 7 Bed. 2 en-suite, one with a double bed. Because there is 7 people the kitchen has two fridges, 2 sinks, 2 ovens 8 hobs!! It's at the very back and joins onto Pearse Street.

For the non en-suites there are 2 bathrooms for 5 people.

I lived in 65.4 last year. It's a nice apartment. Can't speak to the specific room, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Anyone know anything about 70.4.05.
    Bit disappointed tbh. Thought only first year schols got Goldsmith and the rest were put on campus..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

mathew wrote: »
    Bit disappointed tbh. Thought only first year schols got Goldsmith and the rest were put on campus..

I know a postgrad (and scholar) friend of mine is living in Goldsmith this year. I think (from what I've noticed anyway) they tend to give you at least one nice (campus) year and then I think the rest of the time it's pot luck. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Aoibheann wrote: »

I know a postgrad (and scholar) friend of mine is living in Goldsmith this year. I think (from what I've noticed anyway) they tend to give you at least one nice (campus) year and then I think the rest of the time it's pot luck. :/

I wonder was my Pearse st year this year my nice year? :/
    Hopefully it's a nice room..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I wonder was my Pearse st year this year my nice year? :/
    Hopefully it's a nice room..

Some of the Goldsmith rooms are surprisingly quite nice! Some friends of mine got some really spacious ones, and you can definitely get rid of the somewhat clinical look Goldsmith has to it. :) If you're around again next year, hopefully you'll get a nice fancy room!

Aoibheann wrote: »
    The register of chambers on Trinity Monday said you get put there for one year and then moved on to campus for the rest of the time, and they know no one wants Goldsmith but everyone has to get it for one year...

mr. wrote: »
    I used to live there! It's a 7 Bed. 2 en-suite, one with a double bed. Because there is 7 people the kitchen has two fridges, 2 sinks, 2 ovens 8 hobs!! It's at the very back and joins onto Pearse Street.

For the non en-suites there are 2 bathrooms for 5 people.
    Thanks so much, sounds like it'll be fun! Is it on the ground floor? Also do you know what room numbers are ensuite?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I was in 70.2 two years ago, you'd be two floor above me but identical layout.

5 rooms, big kitchen / living room facing pearse but the rooms face out onto an alleyway looking at new BioSc building. They're pretty quiet which is nice, but for some reason our flat was ALWAYS too hot and the windows only tilt in so there's no ventilation which sucks, I'd say yours will be even worse as heat rises...

Advantages are you don't face the courtyard and are away from security so you'll get away with having people over / small parties a lot

The register of chambers on Trinity Monday said you get put there for one year and then moved on to campus for the rest of the time, and they know no one wants Goldsmith but everyone has to get it for one year...

I specifically requested Goldsmith for next year. It's nicer facilities than what I had this year (New Square) - an actual common room with TV points, and more bathrooms per person. Also, in my experience, you're more likely to actually interact with your flatmates in Goldsmith. In New Square, as there's no common room/area, everyone spends all their time in their room...

Oh about TV points; does someone need to bring a tv or is a tv provided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ambrotos

Going by the Resident's Handbook it seems we have to bring our own.

• Advertisement

Bring one. You will be a popular flatmate.

Advertisement