Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the approproate level of pay for TDs ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

anymore wrote: »
    I would agree veryt much with this. I think you need to analyse what it is a TD actually does - and much of this his taxpayer paid for secreatary does- and see what level of skill is involved and what level of pay it merits. I think we need to take into acount the level of responsibility a TD accepts also.
    If we are to have TDs who always respects the party whip, then that is i suggest a lower level of responsibility than their constituents would want and should be reflected in lower pay. The insticnts of many of our TDs appears to be that of a docile herd animal.

Talking about responsibility, there is no accountability for mistakes at the moment.

This means they have virtually no responsibilities since they are never properly held accountable for their decisions.

So its not public envy of their wages as another poster suggested, it is that they don't appear to be responsible for anything that goes wrong that is why they can't justify their current pay levels.

I also disagree that we would get worse politicians if we reduce wages. I think we would get better politicians TBH. At the moment, we are clearly attracting the wrong type of person to the job. Running the country should be seen as a position of immense pride, responsibility and rewarding in itself and not require a high wage.

The high wage attracts people that have no pride in their country, desire no responsibility and merely want the rewards of the position rather than to do their best for their country. This is the worst type of person to have running the country in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pfy2k

50k for backbenchers, 100k for the Prime Minister!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

a couole of months ago i watch the dail transport commitee interveiw MOL, the CEO of Aerlingus&the CEO of the DAA.

I think it was micheal kennady and a few others that stated that Aerlingus needed hanger 6 for maintenance for their 747,MOL had to piont out that aerlingus has not used 747 in over 15 years.
    for me you would have thought that these morans would have done their homework/due diligence:mad: just look at the clowens we have at present there salary should be halfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Stick your nose into the salary surveys from companies like Manpower, and the average pay of a managing director of an SMB is around 120k, with performance related bonuses I'm sure. But 10k a month for TD's (because their jobs are not equatable with MD's, not in the least) is far too much.

I would hardly call Ireland an SMB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Sinn Féin elected reps get an average industrial wage and they seem to do their best on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

ArseBurger wrote: »
    I would hardly call Ireland an SMB.
    The responsibilities of a TD are a lot less than those of a managing director, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

The responsibilities of a TD are a lot less than those of a managing director, I would say.

I would say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I would say no.

i take it your joking with the above comment:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I would say no.
    We shall have to disagree, though I may point out that a TD weilds no executive power, is at best a lobbyist and a spokesperson for his constituency, and is not even held to any level of obligation to carry out any duties during his or her term in office, minus the need to be re-elected. Some TD's show up to only the votes they are whipped to vote in.

A TD does not deserve the same sort of pay as somebody running a company, both for reasons of duties and because a TD should not be there for the money. History has shown us that many of them, clearly, have been there mainly for that, and I am not inclined to believe the story that all that has changed, having heard it once every five to ten years in between major scalpings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

We shall have to disagree, though I may point out that a TD weilds no executive power, is at best a lobbyist and a spokesperson for his constituency, and is not even held to any level of obligation to carry out any duties during his or her term in office, minus the need to be re-elected. Some TD's show up to only the votes they are whipped to vote in.

A TD does not deserve the same sort of pay as somebody running a company, both for reasons of duties and because a TD should not be there for the money. History has shown us that many of them, clearly, have been there mainly for that, and I am not inclined to believe the story that all that has changed, having heard it once every five to ten years in between major scalpings.

Jim MDaid has added to our knowledge of how little respect TDs themselves have for the job they are supposed to do.
    The basic qualification for being a TD is a capacity for climbing the greasy pole of Cumann politics and often whether Daddy or Mammy7 or Uncle or Ainty are or were TDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Jim MDaid has added to our knowledge of how little respect TDs themselves have for the job they are supposed to do.

Jim McDaid represents Jim McDaid. . He is not representative of your 'average' TD, and it is foolish to consider him so.
    thebman wrote: »
    Talking about responsibility, there is no accountability for mistakes at the moment.

This means they have virtually no responsibilities since they are never properly held accountable for their decisions.

So its not public envy of their wages as another poster suggested, it is that they don't appear to be responsible for anything that goes wrong that is why they can't justify their current pay levels.

No accountability ? ? ? I would have thought that having to compete for your job in an open market at least once every 5 years is a pretty high level of accountability. . It certainly not something I have to do !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Jim McDaid represents Jim McDaid. . He is not representative of your 'average' TD, and it is foolish to consider him so.

No accountability ? ? ? I would have thought that having to compete for your job in an open market at least once every 5 years is a pretty high level of accountability. . It certainly not something I have to do !
    A few FF TDs who come to mind are Wille O Dea and Beverly Copper Flynn; how do you assess them ?

As for accounability, a few FF TDs come to mind ......:eek:
    Wahts your point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

A few FF TDs who come to mind are Wille O Dea and Beverly Copper Flynn; how do you assess them ?
    I have criticised both on here in the past . . but fundamentally I believe they are capable politicians . . . but really, it doesn't matter what I think, they were elected to represent their respective constituencies and they will answer to their constituency the next time around.
    As for accounability, a few FF TDs come to mind ......:eek:
    Wahts your point ?

My point is that accountability rests with the electorate . . . we call it democracy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My point is that accountability rests with the electorate . . . we call it democracy !

Yes my point would be that the laws aren't strict enough on politicians misuse of funds and they get to take the piss on expenses etc...

These are not things the electorate can stop if all politicians share the common interest of keeping their no questions asked expense accounts and dodgy favors for consituents to keep votes and odd planning decisions etc...

There is no accountabilty. The electorate shouldn't be making sure that politicians don't do these things, the law should. The electorate are busy earning the tax money for the politicians to burn at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Does it really matter what we think? The TD's take the p*&ss out off the ordinary people in this country. It is hard to listen to Brian Cowen et al. when they say we have to be innovative and get this country back on its feet. Why, so they can get inflated wages and we pay higher taxes to keep them in a lifestyle so far removed from the ordinary person that they live in a bubble.

Advertisement