Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of coming to live in Australia? MOD ADVICE IN POST 32

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ok - I've stickied this now as there is some good advice in it. Please can we keep this thread for adding more advice, not for chit-chat or asking questions. If you have a question

1) search for the thread - it's probably been asked before

2) ask in the thinking of a WHV thread if that fits your case

3) start a new thread

For chit-chat please use the off-topic thread

Thanks!
    watna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

Just a question on some points of Docs sticky;
    Step 2: Go online to www.immi.gov.au and apply for your first WHV

Step 3: Receive your Visa in approximately 24 hours

Is it really possible to get the visa this quickly?

I am well under 30, have no criminal record and no illnesses + never been in hospital. Also is this the one that costs around €160 ? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

Yeah its really fast. I got mine in a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cerey

Brill thread...wish it had been posted 22 months ago!!! Only two months left here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Here is some info on those considering 457 Sponsored (4 year type)

The new occupations list for the 457 attached. This is a new list for applications after 1st July using the new ANZCO occupation codes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Endof

Applied for my 417 working holiday visa today and had it in just under 4 hours :D
    Time to tie up a few loose ends and get over there now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 royalmick

Thank you - info really helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Ya just came across seek.com.au yesterday so gonna have a scan of it and see what's there. Do many companies post directly on the site or would most of the roles come from agencies? If agencies there are anything like here they just post roles they see advertised directly by companies, and hope they get some CVs that they can then send on to the company...

Been to Oz about 7 or 8 years ago, was in Melbourne for 10 days, Sydney for a week, then got on a bus up the coast to Cairns...had about 6 weeks in total and really liked it. For that reason I'm happy just to find somewhere with work and stay put for up to a year, soak up the lifestyle etc, as I've done the backpacking already.

Thanks for the tips so far.
    In the end Some_randomer what visa did you get? I am in a similar position & am not too sure whats the best route for anyone over 35yrs of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

In the end Some_randomer what visa did you get? I am in a similar position & am not too sure whats the best route for anyone over 35yrs of age.

The answer to that is the 175 takes longer but in the end its the best.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    The answer to that is the 175 takes longer but in the end its the best.

Zambia232 thanks for this.

Do you have any links regarding the 175 VISA & how long it would take. (I have found a link, ignore this query)

Assuming it takes a year are there any worthwhile courses an engineer could do in the meantime, to make them more suitable for structural engineering in Australia

Age 36 = 20 Points
    English language = 25 Points
    Qualification, degree = 60 Points?
    Specific work experience = 10 Points?

Does anyone know anythng about this site
    http://www.ausfis.org/Home.aspx

• Advertisement

Zambia232 thanks for this.

Do you have any links regarding the 175 VISA & how long it would take. (I have found a link, ignore this query)

Assuming it takes a year are there any worthwhile courses an engineer could do in the meantime, to make them more suitable for structural engineering in Australia

Age 36 = 20 Points
    English language = 25 Points
    Qualification, degree = 60 Points?
    Specific work experience = 10 Points?

[/url]
    You only get 15 points for Competent English.

You can get an extra 10 by doing the IELTS to prove you can speak/read/write/listen Proficient English. (At least 7.0 in each band)

Does anyone know anythng about this site
    http://www.ausfis.org/Home.aspx

I would read this mate http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660020

I would only deal with DIAC directly http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/

Whayt mandrake said is pretty much on the ball.

If you decide to use a agent just ask around for a good one here and on BE.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    If you decide to use a agent just ask around for a good one here and on BE.

Thanks both mandrake & Zambia232

That site looks so official, I already e-mailed them in connection with the visa, but when I read what was on BE thread that you guys sent to me I unsubscribed straight away. It would be interesting if they will call me, they have all my address & contact details:(

1. As the above quote says does anyone know a good agent to use?

2. Looks like I will have to do the IETS test. Has anyone done it before?

3. Is it the correct route to take, get the VISA175? Anyone else with comments, in the same boat as me?

4. Any structural engineers on this forum

5. Are there any worthwhile online courses one could do in order to fill in time waiting for a visa?

1. An agent is not essential and might cost a few grand, the 175 is geared upso it can be lodged online by yourself with out an agent at all. If you do your homework on the DIAC web site and BE forums its pretty easy to do yourself. If you would prefer to have one make sure they are MARA registered.

2. I did not require IELTS, but I have heard that it is deceiving enough ..... even if you are a native English speaker. Read on BE that a UK teacher failed it and had to resit (how embarrassing heh!!)

You have to get 7.0 in each band and it costs a few hundred ...if you fail you might have to wait a month or so for the test to be on again and it will cost you again.

3. Really thats it... unless you find an employer willing to sponsor without having met you.

4. Don't know but there are plenty of Quantity Surveyor's

5. Hard to say... it will probably take about 3-4 months getting all your papers and skills assessment to be able to lodge the application, and your visa could take anything from 6 months to 3 years. Maybe a short management course might be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bellachief

hello all
    my wife and me are looking to go to oz as soon as possible. we have 4 children aged 2,4,6,8. we are looking for the quickest and cheapest route to get there. can i bring the kids on a whv. and try to get sponsored while im there. any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks all

bellachief wrote: »
    hello all
    my wife and me are looking to go to oz as soon as possible. we have 4 children aged 2,4,6,8. we are looking for the quickest and cheapest route to get there. can i bring the kids on a whv. and try to get sponsored while im there. any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks all

The quickest way is to get sponsored on a 457 and even thats not quick.

Define how long you are prepared to wait, becuase it can take a good few months to years.

And no you cant bring your kids on a WHV.

Also what is your Trade or usual occupation?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Also what is your Trade or usual occupation?

oh yeah important one that one:eek:... sorry I assume some things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

bellachief wrote: »
    hello all
    thanks all

No - unfortunately thats not allowed

General requirements

You must:

* be outside Australia when you apply and, when your visa is granted.
    * not have entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa before
    * be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying
    Important: Your age will be determined as the age you are in Australia at the time your application is lodged (Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or the Australian Eastern Daylight Savings time (AEDST)). Because of this time difference you are advised not to wait to lodge your application until you are about to turn 31, as the system will take the current date in Australia as your application date.
    * be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia
    * not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
    Note: A dependent child is the child, or step-child, of you or your partner who:

o is not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship
    o has not turned 18.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bosco26

Hi,

Hoping to head to Australia by the end of the year and obviously loooking for the cheapest way possible.

Some of my friends are over there and they booked most of their stuff through USIT, this included their flights and Visa's. That seems fairly expensive.

I intend on applying for a working holiday visa and travelling straight to Sydney. Is the Working Holiday visa the Form 1150 that I need to fill out? Can this be done online?

Also, could anyone recommend good websites or airrlines for flights?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bourgeois

Hi,

I'm going to Aus at the end of December on a WHV. I've have no interest in coming abck to Ireland and am looking for some info on residency.

I just completed a masters but have minimal work experience. On the updated skilled labour list my area of work seems to have been removed.

Is it true that a family member who is a resident can sponsor you to stay over there? If i got a job in my line of work would my employer be able to sponsor me even though it's not on the skilled list? Would I be better off just putting these thoughts out of my head?

Cheers for any info.

bourgeois wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to Aus at the end of December on a WHV. I've have no interest in coming abck to Ireland and am looking for some info on residency.

I just completed a masters but have minimal work experience. On the updated skilled labour list my area of work seems to have been removed.

Is it true that a family member who is a resident can sponsor you to stay over there? If i got a job in my line of work would my employer be able to sponsor me even though it's not on the skilled list? Would I be better off just putting these thoughts out of my head?

Cheers for any info.

You would need 3 years experience to meet skills requirements.

It is true that a family member can sponsor... but you still need the skills assessment mentioned above. The family sponsor only reduces your required 120 points down to 100 and also will add a year or 2 of processing time to your visa application. Its not a free ticket.

If your job is on the 457 list (attached) and you managed to find a job with an employer willing to sponsor you might get 4 years.

If you are looking to be sponsored by an employer permanently for a job listed on the ENSOL you still need a skills assessment mentioned above unless you work in a similar occupation for a period of 2 years in Australia on the above mentioned 457.

Thats it in a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bourgeois

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You would need 3 years experience to meet skills requirements.

It is true that a family member can sponsor... but you still need the skills assessment mentioned above. The family sponsor only reduces your required 120 points down to 100 and also will add a year or 2 of processing time to your visa application. Its not a free ticket.

If your job is on the 457 list (attached) and you managed to find a job with an employer willing to sponsor you might get 4 years.

If you are looking to be sponsored by an employer permanently for a job listed on the ENSOL you still need a skills assessment mentioned above unless you work in a similar occupation for a period of 2 years in Australia on the above mentioned 457.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Cheers. I'm level 2 on that list. Seen a few entry level jobs in that area which I should be able to get. Are you saying 4 years is the max I would get out of them? I presume it would be possible to apply for residency if I got 3 years work experience over there.

One last question-is 35 the max age for residency applicants?

For general migration you have to be under 45

You are also required to have experience to get the 457, but getting a sponsor is the hard bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Here's a hypothetical situation.
    I book a one way flight to Melbourne, arrive on a 3 month holiday visa with an exiting flight to Auckland 2 months after I arrive in Melbourne. How strict will Australian customs be with me considering I don't have a return flight back to Ireland?
    Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Here's a hypothetical situation.
    I book a one way flight to Melbourne, arrive on a 3 month holiday visa with an exiting flight to Auckland 2 months after I arrive in Melbourne. How strict will Australian customs be with me considering I don't have a return flight back to Ireland?
    Thank you in advance.

You have a flight booked out of the country 2 months after you arrive so they have no reason to be strict at all. They don’t care that you’re not going home just that you’re not staying in Australia passed your visas allotted time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Step 1: Save as much money as you possibly can

Step 2: Go online to www.immi.gov.au and apply for your first WHV

Step 3: Receive your Visa in approximately 24 hours

Step 4: Within 1 year of receiving your visa arrive in Australia.

Step 5: For the first 2-3 months travel around Australia seeing and doing as much as you can and find a place you would like to live for the remainder of your time in Australia.

Step 6: Once you have found a place you like find as good a job as you can get.

Step 7: Have difficulty getting a job so post on boards.ie about how racist the Australians are and how much you hate Australia

Step 8: Get job in roadhouse and change your tune

Step 9: Get told that your roadhouse job wont get you 2nd year visa

Step 10: Go back to Ireland and tell everyone how racist Oz is and also how much of a hole it is but trawl the oz/nz forum for oppertunities to say how racist and how much of a sh1thole oz is.

LOL :pac: Served him right for his previous holier than thou opinion on people lying on their visa apps. Hope to god he was caught and booted after what he said :D Would be delighted to see his type rotting in a rain soaked dole queue in Ireland, absoloutely delighted. Even funnier that it was my good self that broke the news to him that his servo job wasnt worth a sh1te- Ill bet my house he chanced his arm lying and got a karmatic kick in the hole from the DIAC. Not often Id be cheering at someone getting found out but that is proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ladybones

Hi

Im moving to oz at the end of october but im unsure what to do in regards to flights?

If i only purchase a one way flight do i need to have more money in my bank account?

How much money do you need to have in your account going to oz and how is this checked when you are entering the country ?

Thank You

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ladybones wrote: »
    Hi

Im moving to oz at the end of october but im unsure what to do in regards to flights?

If i only purchase a one way flight do i need to have more money in my bank account?

How much money do you need to have in your account going to oz and how is this checked when you are entering the country ?

Thank You

Generally it is not tested at all, they state $5000, which is probably a good figure to start with anyway.

Advertisement