Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Iberital grinder quieter

Options
  • 06-05-2010 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on how to make the grinder quieter? Sounds like the proverbial bag of cats, especially in the morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Wrap the the thing foam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I've heard that placing it on a computer mouse mat (or similar soft mat) will make it less noisy. Speaking for myself, I sold my MC2s and bought quieter grinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

What did you get clinker? And was it much quieter.

Slidinginfinity What if I wrap it in some of your.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'd an MC2 for a few weeks, it was pretty noisy, I had the change to upgrade and got a Vario from CoffeeAngel http://www.coffeeangel.com/en/products-page/grinders/mahlkonig-vario/

Much quieter, faster and a tastier cup :)

On eBay I bought a Mahlkönig Guatemala, which I use for my plunger pot and a Mazzer Super Jolly which I use for espresso. The Guatemala is a bit quieter than the MC2, and you can stand back from it as you're not having to keep a button pressed while it's grinding. It's about 40 years old, so a newer one might be quieter. The Super Jolly is a lot quieter than the MC2. A lot!

You might like to look at this thread and see what advice I got when I asked the same question you just did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

lol, i bought one of Clinkers MC2s and within days I'd stripped it apart and lined every surface with acoustic foam! Annoyingly the biggest improvement came from lining the hopper lid. Still quite loud though, you can't have as conversation if you're standing beside it.

Money permitting I'll be buying a Mahlkonig Vario this summer.

llatsni wrote: »
    lol, i bought one of Clinkers MC2s and within days I'd stripped it apart and lined every surface with acoustic foam! Annoyingly the biggest improvement came from lining the hopper lid. Still quite loud though, you can't have as conversation if you're standing beside it.

Sorry about that, but you knew the reason I was selling it!!! It's a great grinder, but it's a pity it's so LOUD!

@clinker: oh I was fully aware for
    sure, and it is a super grinder. The only two minor issues are adjusting between espresso and filter and as discussed the noise. Otherwise incredible value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

llatsni wrote: »

Can I ask where you got the acoustic foam?
    Also, did you come accross any guides regarding dismantling the grinder?
    I've a new Burr set on the way and wouldn't mind quietening it in the process.

Doodee wrote: »

Doodee bought my other MC2! :p (Thank you, please come again!)

New burrs! I didn't know they were available: it really is a great grinder... except for the noise. Let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Clinker wrote: »
    Doodee bought my other MC2! :p (Thank you, please come again!)

New burrs! I didn't know they were available: it really is a great grinder... except for the noise. Let us know how you get on!

I did indeed and it has kept most of us here in work going for some time now.

Burr sets are available from HapyDonkey. I'm getting them sent to a U.K. address.
    I'll make sure to keep a good detailed blog post on the process should it be sucessful.

Doodee wrote: »

Can't remember sorry, its the automotive stuff... have had a big roll of it for years, but it's all gone now, else I would send you some, sorry!

You can get sticky-backed dynamat type stuff on ebay, or get the PC equivalent from the likes of quietpc.com

Advertisement