Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway: How do you use yours

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Something got me thinking about this, just wanted to see how many people have no problem with driving in the right hand lane while not overtaking?

What best describes your driving habits on the motorway? 197 votes

I always ensure to pull in to a left hand lane while not overtaking
    0% 0 votes
    I stay in the right hand lane even if not overtaking and pull in if cars approach from behind
    91% 180 votes
    I stay in the right hand lane even if not overtaking and dont move for cars behind me
    8% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

j2dab wrote: »
    driving in the right hand lane while not overtaking?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I don't think too many people around here are going to say that they stay in the "right hand lane".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I stay in the right hand lane, but then I don't drive in Ireland often.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

enda1 wrote: »
    I stay in the right hand lane, but then I don't drive in Ireland often.
    And when in a left hand traffic country, what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

cadaliac wrote: »
    I don't think too many people around here are going to say that they stay in the "right hand lane".

My thoughts, people are hardly going to be clicking that option in the Motors section, its every other section where this poll should be placed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

FAIL THREAD!!! :mad:

And whoever clicked on the second option must be trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Same old **** on motors. Motorway overtaking. blah, blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Poll needs more options.

Stay in Right Lane, over take everything. One day, whenever someone wants to overtake me Ill promptly pull into the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Same old **** on motors. Motorway overtaking. blah, blah blah.
    If you're not interested then don't post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I STAYZ IN THE FAST LANE COS I AM THE FASTEST DRIVER IN DE WORLD LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

j2dab wrote: »
    Something got me thinking about this, just wanted to see how many people have no problem with driving in the right hand lane while not overtaking?

If everyone called it the overtaking lane and not the fast lane or right hand lane it might be more helpful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

jaffa20 wrote: »
    If everyone called it the overtaking lane and not the fast lane or right hand lane it might be more helpful:)

You are damn right. But I thought people would find it much harder to be honest if I reminded them the purpose of the lane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It needs "a mostly drive in the middle lane because the left lane is full of trucks and numpties towing caravans, using the right hand lane to overtake people driving a bit too slow." option in the poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

or an "I drive in the middle lane in case the empty lane on my left magically disappears and I am never seen nor heard from again" option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

It's not a fast lane ... look up the rules of the road. It's an overtaking lane.

You use it to overtake a slow vehicle and then pull back in (but not within 10 metres of the vehicle you overtake). Drive in France and learn, they are the best drivers I have seen on Motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Jesus looking at the poll results I have to wonder - where do you people live?

I have yet to see anyone use M50 like this, and I've only seen a few people drive normally on the M1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Was hoping poll would be

When travelling in the driving lane on a motorway and some dope is sitting in the middle lane, do you..
    A) Cross 2 lanes to overtake and back 2 again
    B) Undertake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yawn...theres only one correct way to drive on a motorway....everyone who doesnt pull into the left-most available lane is doing it wrong but if the Gards wont enforce it, and I'm not allowed a missile-launcher on the front of my car, no amount of polls is going to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I stay in the left hand lane as much as possible, the only time Ive stayed in the over-taking lane was driving Cork-Dublin at about 3am and the road was empty. apart from a few HGV's and vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like to call it the "privileged" lane.
    Please remain in the the other lane so I can get past you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Need an option for "I drive an offaly reg skoda and delaying you is my soul purpose in life"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stee wrote: »
    When travelling in the driving lane on a motorway and some dope is sitting in the middle lane, do you..
    B) Undertake.

that'd be an interesting one actually (if people were honest about it that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I clicked the second option, I'd love to say that I pull in after every pass, but when traveling at a businesslike pace, you just end up swerving all over the road. It's much easier to pass in the outside lane, and keep an eye out for approaching traffic in the RVM. That said, I hate being held up in the car, and I also hate holding anyone else up. I don't care who's right and who's wrong, but if it's important enough to you to travel at at +10 mph, then who am I to impede your progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

gavredking wrote: »
    I stay in the left hand lane as much as possible, the only time Ive stayed in the over-taking lane was driving Cork-Dublin at about 3am and the road was empty. apart from a few HGV's and vans.

why would you do that?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »
    why would you do that?:confused:

don't want to be changing lanes to often at 180 eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

2 Espressi wrote: »
    I clicked the second option, I'd love to say that I pull in after every pass, but when traveling at a businesslike pace, you just end up swerving all over the road. It's much easier to pass in the outside lane, and keep an eye out for approaching traffic in the RVM. That said, I hate being held up in the car, and I also hate holding anyone else up. I don't care who's right and who's wrong, but if it's important enough to you to travel at at +10 mph, then who am I to impede your progress?

Yup, I could side in and out behind everyone the left lane, but since Im not slowing anyone down (if anyone is coming up to overtake I just move out of the way), what would be the point (other than book correctness)? Clearly more dangerous (and "looks" way more aggressive) to change lanes continuously too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Stee wrote: »
    Was hoping poll would be

B) Undertake.

B

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yup, I could side in and out behind everyone the left lane, but since Im not slowing anyone down (if anyone is coming up to overtake I just move out of the way), what would be the point (other than book correctness)? Clearly more dangerous (and "looks" way more aggressive) to change lanes continuously too.

Sorry Matt, but if I see someone doing that I just think "what a tool". Even though you aren't holding anyone up it's just good manners to pull in when the inside lane is free. That's how the rest of Europe do it, and how I was brought up to drive on Motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

R.O.R wrote: »
    Sorry Matt, but if I see someone doing that I just think "what a tool". Even though you aren't holding anyone up it's just good manners to pull in when the inside lane is free. That's how the rest of Europe do it, and how I was brought up to drive on Motorways.

You've never driven in Germany it seems. Barelling down the fast lane and flashing anyone who has the cheek to be in 'your' lane at less than the speed of your Bughatti is the norm there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

R.O.R wrote: »
    when the inside lane is free.
    Now, here's the thing. How much of a gap in the inside lane would you define this as?
    300m? 500m? 1km+?
    Obviously if there's no-one about, I'll use the left lane, or if I can see thta I won't have to switch for a few minutes but I'm not about to start switching in and out every few hundred meters, "because that's what everyone in Europe does".

Advertisement