Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Gang CC Sportives 2010

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Is there a food stop or will we have to load up?

We'll have a foodstop and (a) waterstop(s) on all the routes to allow riders to fuel up - no need to load yourself up like an overworked domestique! There'll be a food stop in Dingle for Conor Pass Challenge and Blasket Blast participants and on in Camp Village Community Centre for those taking the Camp Cruise family cycle. Waterstops will be in Dingle (for BB riders coming back from Slea head) and Keel (outside Castlemaine, and for both BB and CPC riders).

We'd always recommend that riders bring a bidon or two on the bike and bring the energy products they'd normally use due the demands of these routes/distances. It's always better to have them and not need them than the opposite.

In any case our preferred LBS, O'Halloran Cycles, and High5 are to provide us with some goodies to distribute at sign on to help with these things :D

And there will be food and refreshments in Tralee when everyone gets back also!

Just in case anyone has any difficulty finding the start point at CBS, The Green just open this LINK and put in your start point and it will give you directions right to the front gate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just in case anyone has any difficulty finding the start point at CBS, The Green just open this LINK and put in your start point and it will give you directions right to the front gate :D

Great work well done so far CheGuedara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Just back from the Chaingang Blasket Blast, absolutely fantastic, well done to the lads for putting on such a great event. Great food, facilities & people. Couldn't have asked for anything more. This is up there with the Sean Kelly, definitely, but with smaller numbers and an amazing route ( EPIC in fact ) and all for €20 !!! ( €10 for CI members ), High 5 goodie bag and all, and no poxy doll sized T Shirt either.

Put it in your calender for next year, not to be missed !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Great day out. Did the 110km as I had to get home (story of my life).

About 200 signed on. Met Murph, Lescol, CheGuedara an unnamed boardsie lurker wering full kit (say hello, we dont bite). Crashoveroid there also I was told.

Pulled out of Tralee and hammerdrop really took me by surprise. Split into about 5 groups staright away and I was at the back. Next 5-8km was spent working up at furious pace. Finally made it onto to group two with a neighbour of mine and a few Tour de Munster guys. Group one was doing crazy pace into a gale. We averaged 30km/h for the 40km into this savage wind. Needless to say, I hid at the back out of the wind.

Hit Conor Pass too quickly. Spent next two km trying to get breathing and HR right. Was met on the climb by a neoghbour of mine who is an ironman triathlete. Took next two km of climb handy as we chatted away. 500m from top got out of saddle and sprinted for line.

Descent great fun. First 3km didnt turn once just rode the centre thru every corner. Savage fun. But wind was too high to beat my records.

The Chain Gang laid on a savage spread at the foodstop.
    Pasta, sandwiches, brack, buns, chocolate, fudge cake.

A lot of guys took off to head over Slea Head (one of my favourite rides). I had to do the 110km option. 60 km from Dingle to Tralee. Met up with a guy from Macroom who shared a few pulls.
    Rode the road in 1h45mins over the 60km. Was thrilled (may have had a tailwind).
    Last climb (drag really) took in big ring (well 50-24 actually).

Great descent into Tralee. First back. 3h45m over 108km.

Phenomenal spread. Gorgeous cakes and buns of all descriptions, sandwiches and paste.

Had a very very cold shower, which was the only downside.

Great event and all for a tenner. Awesome. Great marshalling. Full ambulance support etc. Broomwagon, water stops. Great food.

Seriously guys get hot showers, then it would be the best event ever.

On the final descent into Tralee, a hot chick with pink hair in a car stuck herself out the windown and blew me a kiss as she passed. Funny thing was her sunglasses fell off. That felt good.

This is a very very well run event and a credit to the club. I have done several club event attracting between 100-200 cyclists. Have to say, I far far prefer them to the big events such as Wicklow 200, Ring of Kerry etc.

A lot of folks travelled down from Clare, Limerick and Cork. I guess thats great for the club to see.

Great day out, cant wait to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Just back in Clare from the 110k. Actually more like two spins, a 50k which took in the Conor pass, a half an hour or more at the food stop (incredible spread ... shame on you Etape Hibernia). Conor pass was ok, took it slow at about 15 km/hr all the way wishing I had a compact. Descent was fine.

For the return leg the 110ers started 5-10min after the guys doing the full route. I said what the hell and positioned myself right behind the lead car. Got into the lead group with about 5 others (two wearing Chain Gang outfits, one wearing Cycling Pursuits, one wearing all blue with yellow overshoes, and another guy from Tralee). Pace was incredible, I was barely in touch at the back, kept getting dropped on descents where my lack of bike skills hurt me. Could only hang on and planned to apologise at the next stop for not contributing. One of the chain gang guys dropped back as we hit a reasonable drag still going like the clappers. I was just about to join him when the pace setter in the yellow overshoes suddenly slowed and it was just myself and my new partner from Tralee following the lead car. We bombed along into Tralee thinking we had to be the first two in, only to find at least one in ahead of us ... Must have been you ROK ON?

Thanks to, I think, Dave from Tralee for keeping me going on what was probably the final 40-45k.

Great day, great value, credit to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Unfortunately I missed this one. Nevertheless my phone has been hopping all day with brilliant reports. I'm green with envy, the blasket blast is my favourite route. Well done chain gang cc and special mention for the main man Che, you've put in Trojan work all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

But a very big thank you for putting on a great event.

Pace out to Conor Pass unreal,thought I'd be heading home early. But thankfullly I stayed for the Slea Head, as the saying goes there is only 2 Kingdoms the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Kerry,she was looking her majestic best for us today.

Food/water stops, marshalling,road sign, volunteers all excellent.

Did hear the apologies from the ChainGang for the showers, and I think we should accept that, luckily the Ma is close by:D.

For anyone who maybe thinking of pencilling this in for next year. Book early!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I agree with all of the other posters, great sportive, extremely well run, credit to the Chaingang Cycling Club. A must do for the calender.

Met ROK ON, Murph and Orca. The initial pace was fast, I hung back until I felt able to pick up the speed, three of us took off but I think the guys at the front had put too much distance on us. The climb of Conor Pass felt brutal, fighting into a head wind. Great spread in Dingle. Decided to continue on the 150, managed to stay with the front group for all of a couple of miles, met a guy from Cork who just about convinced me to support them tomorrow! We eventually got into a group of about 10 which made the ride back to Dingle easier. The legs died on the way to Castlemaine, too long off the bike, so suffered but managed to get back to Tralee at 4.00. Passed the broomwagon still climbing out of Castlemaine on the drive home which made me feel a bit better.

So, stunning scenery, a great, challenging route, good company, great food and marshalling, this has to be one of the years highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

Great event, the 150k route was fantastic, marshalling and food brillliant as well. Definitely up there with the Sean Kelly tour and great value for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Very well done to all at the chain gang. Very well organised event.
    I will definately be pencilling in a few of their spins for next year.

Rok On, I assume it was you who I was trying but failing to keep up with from Dingle to Tralee. Great Pace.

Well i seem to be mentioned here quite a bit mainly know as the guy with the yellow oversocks.

The day started well but i have to say the fast start is my fault. Its was so well marshalled made it a pleasure to go out and enjoy it. While my own legs did not feel good at all. The Food stop was fantastic well fed only did the 110 but decided i would not go home easy so kept a good steady speed of 38k and hour. Met some geat lads on the way back and sorry if i did push it hard on the hills.

Great day out thanks to all of the Chain Gang you are up there with the Sean Kelly Tour. Great to see a Tour in my home town again and so well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 diocane

Hi all, abc def gh

Just dropping a post on behalf of my club to make people aware of the opening of registration for our sportives to be held in September.

The Chain Gang CC, Tralee is happy to announce the 2010 edition of the Conor Pass Challenge, Kerrys premier challenge/sportive cycle.

In addition to this classic 110km course the Club will also be hosting a 30km family friendly cycle – the Camp Cruise and a 150km challenge cycle running the complete Dingle Peninsula called the Blasket Blast.

To ease entrants registration and to allow for better planning, online entry for the cycles has been set up for this year’s events via the following link - https://regonline.activeeurope.com/chain_gang_sportives - with entry pricing as follows:

• Camp Cruise 30km (10-18 years) - €5
    • Camp Cruise 30km (18+) - €10
    • Conor Pass Challenge (16+) - €10 with Cycling Ireland Licence, €20 without
    • Blasket Blast (16+) - €10 with Cycling Ireland Licence, €20 without

Registration will also be available on the morning of the event but with the addition of a €5 late registration fee.

We are also happy to announce that our event accommodation partners, the Carlton Hotel Tralee, has kindly offered an event accommodation rate for participants travelling to Tralee for our 2010 sportive challenges. Participants wishing to avail of the discount will be able to book accommodation at the Carlton Hotel Tralee, just 2 minutes from the event start point, (CBS secondary school, Tralee) for the dates surrounding the event for just €45 B&B per person sharing/night (normally €80) or €70 single supplement B&B/night on mentioning the event at time of booking by phone - (066) 7199100 - and by presenting their event registration email on check in.

Route details and postal entry forms have been attached here and while every effort has been made to include as much information as possible, if you have any queries about your route don’t hesitate to drop a line at info@thechaingang.cc and we'll do our utmost to see you right.

We hope to put on a great set of cycles this year, with all the stops being pulled out to put on what we endeavour to make a brilliant day on the bike.

Come to Tralee and take on what we feel are the best challenge cycles, in some of the most spectacular countryside both Kerry and Ireland has to offer.

Kind regards,

Darragh Crowley
    Club Secretary

259zxhc.jpg

ana are mere

shg101 wrote: »
    Just back in Clare from the 110k. Actually more like two spins, a 50k which took in the Conor pass, a half an hour or more at the food stop (incredible spread ... shame on you Etape Hibernia). Conor pass was ok, took it slow at about 15 km/hr all the way wishing I had a compact. Descent was fine.

For the return leg the 110ers started 5-10min after the guys doing the full route. I said what the hell and positioned myself right behind the lead car. Got into the lead group with about 5 others (two wearing Chain Gang outfits, one wearing Cycling Pursuits, one wearing all blue with yellow overshoes, and another guy from Tralee). Pace was incredible, I was barely in touch at the back, kept getting dropped on descents where my lack of bike skills hurt me. Could only hang on and planned to apologise at the next stop for not contributing. One of the chain gang guys dropped back as we hit a reasonable drag still going like the clappers. I was just about to join him when the pace setter in the yellow overshoes suddenly slowed and it was just myself and my new partner from Tralee following the lead car. We bombed along into Tralee thinking we had to be the first two in, only to find at least one in ahead of us ... Must have been you ROK ON?

Thanks to, I think, Dave from Tralee for keeping me going on what was probably the final 40-45k.

Great day, great value, credit to the club.

That's it

We'll have a foodstop and (a) waterstop(s) on all the routes to allow riders to fuel up - no need to load yourself up like an overworked domestique! There'll be a food stop in Dingle for Conor Pass Challenge and Blasket Blast participants and on in Camp Village Community Centre for those taking the Camp Cruise family cycle. Waterstops will be in Dingle (for BB riders coming back from Slea head) and Keel (outside Castlemaine, and for both BB and CPC riders).

We'd always recommend that riders bring a bidon or two on the bike and bring the energy products they'd normally use due the demands of these routes/distances. It's always better to have them and not need them than the opposite.

In any case our preferred LBS, O'Halloran Cycles, and High5 are to provide us with some goodies to distribute at sign on to help with these things :D

And there will be food and refreshments in Tralee when everyone gets back also!
    good to know :)

WTF ... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Well i seem to be mentioned here quite a bit mainly know as the guy with the yellow oversocks.

The day started well but i have to say the fast start is my fault. Its was so well marshalled made it a pleasure to go out and enjoy it. While my own legs did not feel good at all. The Food stop was fantastic well fed only did the 110 but decided i would not go home easy so kept a good steady speed of 38k and hour. Met some geat lads on the way back and sorry if i did push it hard on the hills.

Great day out thanks to all of the Chain Gang you are up there with the Sean Kelly Tour. Great to see a Tour in my home town again and so well run.

I gotta know why you suddenly pulled back? I had just given up hope of staying in touch.

I gotta know why you suddenly pulled back? I had just given up hope of staying in touch.

Well i was pacing myself more then any thing i rode for 30 mins around threshold and then backed off for 10 mins then to ride another 30 mins at threshold. Doing alot of prep for the kerry champs.

Dont listen to Crash, threshold me eye ! ;)

Yellow Socks went BOOM at the bottom of the Conor Pass, following a good 10 mins of sandbagging of course !!! :D:D:D

Murph100 wrote: »
    Dont listen to Crash, threshold me eye ! ;)

Yellow Socks went BOOM at the bottom of the Conor Pass, following a good 10 mins of sandbagging of course !!! :D:D:D

Murph we are talking about the way back not the pass.

• Advertisement

Heh, relax ya grumpy git !

Whats it like being a Kerryman in Cork today ? ;)

Murph we are talking about the way back not the pass.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Heh, relax ya grumpy git !

Whats it like being a Kerryman in Cork today ? ;)

Ahh Murph did something happen. I only remember the lack of covrage of Roche and his great tour.

As for the climb i will never be known to be a climber in fact i prefer short sharp climbs ones.

Next week will be fun.

Hi all, just back in front of a computer now with time to touch base.

The Club would like to say thanks and a massive well done to everyone who came down to Tralee to take part in Saturdays cycles.

Riders faced some testing routes made even more so by a really unexpected headwind out the Dingle peninsula and we were completely blown away by the level of support for the event in the numbers that came and the distances some travelled to do so. Really amazing, so thank you once again - it's one thing to put the planning and organising together to make an event but it's nothing without participants to enjoy it and it was great having you with us.

We also have to express our gratitude to those that gave their time to help with the marshalling effort on foot, on motorcycle and in car, the manning of the food and water stations, provided medical and motor support - without their efforts the event wouldn't have been half the success that feedback so far suggests and we hugely appreciate everything they did for the club, riders and event.

I spent the day providing mechanical support whilst acting as Broom 3 (serving the Conor Pass Challenge route). It was my first time seeing things from the support point of view and it was a definitely a different day to the norm but a really rewarding one when you hear reviews like those on this thread and the kind words recieved from riders after the route and since then.

My role for the day involved getting those that punctured up and going as rapidly as possible for the most part (with one unlucky rider needing assistance just before the depart!) but there was some unexpected bits that saw me removing cranks by the roadside to extricate a chain lodged (read as welded) around the inside of the bottom bracket and refitting it, straightening out of true wheels and attempting to fix lacerated tyres. In between going up the road up to assist those in need and back to sweep I got to snap a few pics of riders - sorry to the speed demons at the front but they're all from the mid/tail end of the group but maybe there'll be someone there people know - I'll upload them as soon as I can.

Once again thanks to everyone who came over to Tralee to take part, to everyone who contributed their time to seeing the event run and to everyone who's posted such kind words.

We're always interested in trying to improve and build on things for next year so any suggestions, observations or criticisms* anyone has feel free to post them here or drop an email to sportives 'at' the chaingang.cc and we'll see if we cant take things on board to make the 2011 Chain Gang Sportives even better.

Both the Club and I personnally are very proud that you enjoyed your day in the saddle with us and I look forward to seeing you in Tralee next September 17th! :D

*We're still trying to figure what went wrong with the showers - they were supposed to be nice and scorchio, if I had an inkling they'd have been otherwise we'd have figured something out to see things right

Advertisement