Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Preacher arrested in UK

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Should Dawkins be arrested if he made these comments to a creationist who engaged him in public conversation?
    "those who think the world began less than ten thousand years ago are worst than ignorant, they are the deluded to the point of perversity."

Or has the British state taken a giant step towards an ideological dictatorship?

Has dissent become a crime once more?

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Has dissent become a crime once more?

An atheist anti-theist was arrested for leaving anti-theistic pamphlets in an airport prayer room under the same law as far as I know.

So the answer seems to be, unfortunately, yes.

The rule seems to be basically don't say something that someone else can claim upset or insulted them or you will be arrested. Makes me glad I don't live in the UK (and that Boards.ie isn't hosted there)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Wicknight wrote: »
    An atheist anti-theist was arrested for leaving anti-theistic pamphlets in an airport prayer room under the same law as far as I know.

So the answer seems to be, unfortunately, yes.

The rule seems to be basically don't say something that someone else can claim upset or insulted them or you will be arrested. Makes me glad I don't live in the UK (and that Boards.ie isn't hosted there)
    I have to say, I am really beginning to dislike this particular piece of legislation.

I was in court the other day and there was a Section 5 trial scheduled. The facts were as follows:

The woman on trial lived in a new housing development. Her neighbour. a doctor, made a habit of parking in a space that she considered to be for her use. He tend to park in such a way as to make to entering and leaving her property more difficult than it could have been. This dispute had been ongoing for sometime. When the defendant attempted to talk to the neighbour he was dismissive and sometimes, allegedly, insulting. Eventually it all apparently became too much for the defendant and she called him an "f**king prick." He made a complaint to the police and the CPS sought a Section 5 conviction.

Due to the requirements of her job, a conviction for this offence would have resulted in her being fired.

As it turns out, the case was dismissed and and she was awarded costs. The end result being the taxpayer will have to fork out a couple of thousand pounds because they lost a case that most people in the legal profession would believe should not have been there in the first place.

Whilst I expect he will be unsuccessful in his claim for damages, I think his attempt is a good thing as it highlights was is a quite nasty piece of legislation that can be trotted out when someone displeases you.

MrP

Advertisement