Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! The free Catholic Newspaper

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

"Nonsense" ie in other words speaking out about the referendum that was imposed twice upon the people of Ireland.

Yes, nonsense. It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is. They peddled lies and false information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

prinz wrote: »
    Yes, nonsense. It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is. They peddled lies and false information.

Wait and see in a few years time how much of Lisbon yes manifesto holds up to its truth. Where are all these jobs that were promised. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Wait and see in a few years time how much of Lisbon yes manifesto holds up to its truth. Where are all these jobs that were promised. :rolleyes:

While I was not happy with the idea of another referendum so soon, I do believe that some of the No campaigners did far more damage to their cause by making ridiculous statements.

I don't believe any of the main Yes lobby ever promised jobs (YES = 1 million Jobs guaranteed). They said that the new structures would make it easier for the EU to react to issues quickly by cutting down on red tape / vetoes, which in turn would benefit the economy.

I voted no originally and wasn't around for the second referendum but I do know many friends who voted yes the second time solely as they didn't want to support some of the cracked pot remarks made by extremists organisations like Coir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I think its a really good paper, much better than the Irish Catholic as some other poster mentioned. It might have some weird angle on the truth on particular subjects, but what Paper in the world doesnt? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

They're waiting for all the workers willing to work for the new minimum wage of €1.84. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

PDN wrote: »
    They're waiting for all the workers willing to work for the new minimum wage of €1.84. :rolleyes:

And I'm still waiting for the sky to fall! That hasn't happened either!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

The NO side lied and said it would bring in abortion and conscription, the YES side lied and said it would bring jobs. Read the damn thing, it was online.

I worked in a monastery at the time and ALL the nuns believed that they were voting no to abortion and prostitution because their superiors had told them that was what the referendum was about.

That was why we had to have a second referendum. It basically isn't democratic if people are so mislead by both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

My issue with Alive at the moment is that they seem to think that the child abuse scandel is being blown out of proportion. They think that people are saying "all priests are paedophiles" or "most sex abuse is done by priests" when people are angry about the cover up.

Everyone agrees that most priests are good men and most sex abuse takes place in the home!

"Is media cover of child abuse agenda-driven?" Today's headline. Article about the media cover up of domestic sexual abuse.

In this regard they do not represent the majority of catholics, who are horrified by the cover up. What the church did goes against christian values. Also, just because the church structure is rotten doesn't mean that the teachings are untrue. You can still be a catholic and disagree with the church authorities, and that is the position of most Irish people at the moment.

I think the cliche is "so Catholic they forgot to be Christian".

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

RichTea wrote: »
    Hello Christianity forum users!

I often receive this rag in the letterbox every month or so. It goes on about how pop music is evil, how everyone should be at mass etc etc, abortions, government is bad, liberals are endangering our Catholic lives.

I just wanted to know, do most of you agree with the stuff that this ridiculous 'newspaper' spouts?
    I read it the odd time. I've never read that pop music is "evil".

You're surprised that a Catholic publication thinks people should go to mass?
    And says that abortion is bad?

As for the gov, our government is not just bad, it's absolutely abysmal

And as for those damn liberals... ;)

Advertisement