Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

viewing logs discussion

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

As the viewing log threads are fairly personal to the thread starter, think it might be useful to have a place to discuss and ask thread owners a question or two.

I.e. How does mudskipper manage to sit through all these movies that he rates so badly? Or is Nedtheshed in any way associated with ToeTag pictures?

Or why you loved/hated that movie that nedtheshed / mudskipper / etc rated so low/high... this is the place to discuss :D

Mods, hope this thread is ok, and finger's X-d we get another log or two going to keep it lively

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

No association with Toetag at all.My love for them stems from the fact that the Toetag Pictures forum was the first forum I ever signed up for back in 06. I had heard buzz about August Underground from a few sites and managed to get a copy of the Snuff edition release of it on ebay and it simply blew my frickin mind.From day dot any of the Toetag Crew were open to questions and suggestions from fans and regularly post on the forum,Ive also had the chance to chat with Fred Vogel a few times on facebook,he comes across as one of the most genuine and decent guys you could ever find.There is no BS with him like there has been with the likes of Nick Palumbo or Lucifer Valentine and he just wants to make horror movies that he as a horror fan would want to watch.

How many directors/film makers in the world today could that be said about?

So thats the reason for Neds fanboyism!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Excellent reviews there Ned, I've mother of tears in my to watch pile........ think I'll rewatch suspiria first so :)

Couldnt agree more with the children of the corn review, had the pleasure (or misfortune) to rent the CotC boxset few years ago....... the original was still enjoyable for what it was, the included 3 sequels were as you described, a real chore to watch. Avoid if you can!

MoT is a good one,it has no real connection with Suspiria other than the basic concept of the movie ie witches.

I got the COTC boxset pre owned in a second hand store for 4 quid a few months ago.Glad I didnt buy it new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Spooky, thank you for putting a plug in for Supernatural, truly one of the greatest TV shows ever made. Can't wait for Season 6 and you're right, everyone could learn a thing or two about wrapping up story arcs by watching the concluding episodes of Season 5, nearly had me in tears.

From a horror perspective too I find it shocking this show made it to TV, it doesn't hold back much on the blood and guts front and tackles a lot of the Catholic churches foundational beliefs too. If this can be made, so too can Preacher!

Ned, you mentioned Henry isnt a horror to you, but more alike silence of the lambs.

I'd agree that silence isnt a horror, more a tense and well done thriller (with a sprinkling of horror ;) ) But to me Henry is mostly a horror, simply for its sheer relentlessness, the murders... 'plug it in, Otis'
    After smashing the TV over the fence's head
    and of course Michael Rooker as Henry himself, gives me chills every-time I watch this film.

Why is the second one a horror? Is it a horror cause it is so bad? Must admit I've not watched it, but only heard bad things and dont want to spoil how I view the original.

I'm avoiding the bad lieutenant: new orleans (with *shudder* Nic Cage) for that same reason, Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel is a masterpiece.... simply no need for these 'in name only' sequel. I'm not saying Bad Lieutenant is a horror by the way, although it's sequel probably is ;)

• Advertisement

The main reason I dont consider Henry a horror is because its somewhat based in fact and none of the violence is done in a gratuitous or exploitative manner.Yes,it is horrific,but its much more different in tone to the common or garden slasher/serial killer fare.The charactor development in Henry is above most any serial killer movie which is another reason why I wouldnt consider it a horror movie.

Its sequel on the other hand is basically gore and violence for the sake of gore and violence.Dont get me wrong,I enjoyed the sequel well enough but for completly different reasons than I love the original.Its my opinion that the sequel was only given that title in an effort to lend it some creedence of respectibility.

It is worth checking out though as some of the effects are pretty cool and there are some nice kills in it.Dont expect anything near the effectiveness of its predecessor though as you will be sorely disappointed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

@Nallion.
    Good points made your self there about supernatural. I Think TV as a medium gets over looked as a source of horror. Some of the procedural crime shows i watch border on horror/Thriller from time to time also.
    Would love to see more shows go down the horror road like supernatural, and no I dont count " The Vamprie Diaries " as horror even if it has vamps... " True Blood " on the other hand is how it should be done. Another returning show I look forward to.

Just carrying on from the horror TV shows,have any of you seen the Masters of Horror episodes?

Ive been flirting with the idea of buying em for a while now but they are still pretty pricey for what Ive heard to be somewhat hit and miss.

I've the two boxsets for season one....... some gems like cigarette burns (John Carpenter, who else) and some not so good ones, definitely hit n miss, n probably not worth what I paid.... even if it is from Anchor Bay..... their set for Phantasm is brilliant!

Was a season 3 made? Or is that the masters of sci-fi?

I've Supernatural season 1-4 winging it's way to me, so looking forward to that :-)

Season 3 was the Sci Fi one alright, avoid if you ask me.

Masters Of Horror Season One is worth a watch start to finish I think. There may be some poor entries but it's still a good anthology in my opinion and should be watched altogether (or if you must only watch one make sure it's Cigarette Burns, seriously, nearly vintage Carpenter)

Season Two something went horribly wrong I think. There's one or two stand outs episodes but they're standing out from pure drivel. Even Carpenter got it wrong with the decidedly ham fisted Pro Life.

And Mudskipper, hope myself and Spooky don't over hype it at this stage but, it's awesome. Chills, thrills, excellent humour, genius self referential attitude, Supernatural's got it all!
    Good points made your self there about supernatural. I Think TV as a medium gets over looked as a source of horror. Some of the procedural crime shows i watch border on horror/Thriller from time to time also.
    Would love to see more shows go down the horror road like supernatural, and no I dont count " The Vamprie Diaries " as horror even if it has vamps... " True Blood " on the other hand is how it should be done. Another returning show I look forward to.

Yeah I think horror on TV is really far bigger than people seem to realise though. We have had both Freddy and Jason grace the tube, also Blade, the afformentioned Masters of Horror, Channel 4's rather funny Dead Set, Hammer House of Horror not to mention as you said, cop shows such as Messiah and many other BBC/Channel 4/ITV productions which adopt a dark and gothic tone.

Horror has a huge place on TV just not always in the most direct fashion. Even Supernatural is laced with humour to balance out the horror.

• Advertisement

Just won MOH complete series 1 on ebay for less than 30 bucks delivered so will give em a shot myself.

To c - 13:

Yup, loads of nods in Dog Soldiers to other works, Neil Marshall really not being afraid to show his admiration for all that came before him. Obvious Evil Dead tones with the cabin in the woods and the general wolf side of things was very The Howling I thought.

The one reference often missed though, and my favourite, is Sean Pertwee's "There is no spoon". Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

niallon wrote: »
    To c - 13:

Yup, loads of nods in Dog Soldiers to other works, Neil Marshall really not being afraid to show his admiration for all that came before him. Obvious Evil Dead tones with the cabin in the woods and the general wolf side of things was very The Howling I thought.

The one reference often missed though, and my favourite, is Sean Pertwee's "There is no spoon". Hilarious!

Yep, that's the big one I caught too - actually LOL'ed at that one :D

To c-13:

Glad you brought up Tremors, otherwise I'd have been stuck for something to watch tonight!! Absolutely loved the first one and, same as yourself, I was terrified of it as a kid, absolutely terrified. Got the second as a rental and was still entertained and now have the DVD box set of all four. Couldn't bring myself to watch the third and fourth in case they ruined my affection for the first two but based on your review they don't deviate too much from the tone and I'm well trained to tolerate crap CGI at this stage so should be a good night in!

To trustno1:

Be very very careful with the Cube sequels. Cube to me was one of the finest low budget independent films I'd ever seen. Extremely effective and disturbing in its own way. Then I got the collection. Cube 2 is just a total and utter mess. It has all the hallmarks of a clichéd sequel: gets way too big for its boots, more money messes the formula, too many characters, the list goes one. Cube Zero on the other hand I quite enjoyed.
    It does slightly ruin things by trying to go into the origins of the Cube but still stands out a mile from Cube 2

@Darko,the Monster Squad is frickin awesome,loved it as a kid,love it now.

nedtheshed wrote: »

Yeah, it's one of my favourite films of all time and is also my 6 year old brothers favourite film also which really shows its appeal. Hoping to get my hands on Dekker's 95 minute version. There's a remake in the works and I've read one of the proposed scripts which would be great, albeit it completely out of whack with the original given that it would be an 18s. McG is currently working on his version which will no doubt be a masterpiece, shame they just don't get Dekker, it's been 17 years since Robocop 3, teh guy deserves another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Was just about to post the same thing, watched it recently and loved it. Really is a fantastic film.

jasus now i bloody well have to watch monster squad as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

niallon wrote: »
    To c-13:

To trustno1:

Be very very careful with the Cube sequels. Cube to me was one of the finest low budget independent films I'd ever seen. Extremely effective and disturbing in its own way. Then I got the collection. Cube 2 is just a total and utter mess. It has all the hallmarks of a clichéd sequel: gets way too big for its boots, more money messes the formula, too many characters, the list goes one. Cube Zero on the other hand I quite enjoyed.
    It does slightly ruin things by trying to go into the origins of the Cube but still stands out a mile from Cube 2

Thanks niallon.. but unfortunately I had already gone out and bought it and watched it before I saw your comment (only cost 3 quid so no harm done!) yeah.. it was bad alright.. interesting take on it, and it did have its moments, but overall not that hectic. Hasn't put me off wanting to see the 3rd installment which I will purchase soon.

C-13 - I am so glad that someone has put up a review for Shark in Venice, the amount of times I have had the box in my hand ready to rent is unreal and I am so glad I didn't bring it to the counter.. thanks!..

Picked up the original House on Sorority Row for 3 bucks a few months ago and really liked it.Its a blatant cash in,there is feck all gore in it and no scares but something about it made me smile.

Plus the old lady in it was a bad ass bitch,havnt seen the remake nor will I ever unless it crops up on a quiet night on the TV.

• Advertisement

Picked up the original House on Sorority Row for 3 bucks a few months ago and really liked it.Its a blatant cash in,there is feck all gore in it and no scares but something about it made me smile.

Plus the old lady in it was a bad ass bitch,havnt seen the remake nor will I ever unless it crops up on a quiet night on the TV.

I really liked the remake, just something about it really works. Some great kills ( glass bottle hammered down the sluts throat, axe to the back of the head, tire iron to the lungs), Carrie Fisher kicking ass as the house-mother and a sense that every one involved knew that they weren't making high art and just decided to have fun. I havent seen the orignal in years, I have absolutely no memory of it whatsoever so maybe that helped, as did the fact that they shot it to be an R rated film and it stayed that way after one of the producers refused to cut it to PG13.

I paid 10 euro for the Blu Ray which looks gorgeous, (some of the shots are just jaw droppingly well done) and it left me with a great
    big smile on my face so it's a win in my books.

For the remakes I would never buy them,irregardless of how cheap they are.Ive had the dilemma a few times in HMV with the 4 for €22 offers,Id find 3 movies I wanted but nothing else except something like My Bloody Valentine 09 so I just paid for the 3 at regular price.I didnt totally hate the MBV remake but would be loath to put it beside Halloween,Martyrs or Texas Chainsaw Massacre.I wouldnt buy them out of principle.

Darko is Storm Warning the one which includes
    death by fishing rods and a nasty female booby trap?
    . I am sure I have seen it - but its a while ago now!..

Last House on the Left remake better than the original?

No,no,no,no,no.

The original is a defining moment in exploitation cinema.Krug et al were utterly reprehensible charectors and David Hess has never been better in the lead role.

The remake is a wholly sanitised affair,
    the lead actress survives FFS,:mad:

trustno1 wrote: »
    Darko is Storm Warning the one which includes
    death by fishing rods and a nasty female booby trap?
    . I am sure I have seen it - but its a while ago now!..

That's the one, the latter trap is gruesomely awesome and
    that the old man gets his penis and insides eaten by the dog is great.

thanks for the heads up on monster squad darko, watched it with the kids last night, they loved it. My daughter was jumping up and down with excitment by the end.

Great to see all these varied and different logs, picking up lots of recommendations (and avoiding stinkers!) because of them ;) my list of movies to collect and watch, which was fairly long to begin with, is now 3 times as long :D I'll never get through all that.

Haven't viewed much lately with all this werewolf unfriendly weather, but will have a whole pile at the ready for when the darkness comes for us :eek:

Think I'll start the supernatural series this week :)

MudSkipper wrote: »
    Great to see all these varied and different logs, picking up lots of recommendations (and avoiding stinkers!) because of them ;) my list of movies to collect and watch, which was fairly long to begin with, is now 3 times as long :D I'll never get through all that.

Haven't viewed much lately with all this werewolf unfriendly weather, but will have a whole pile at the ready for when the darkness comes for us :eek:

Think I'll start the supernatural series this week :)

+1 - the recomendations are fantastic, I have today bought The House of the Devil and Monster Squad based the postive reviews, and its excellent for 'avoiding the stinkers', nothing worse than going by the picture on the box :D

+1

There are a few that have slipped under my radar that Im definitly going to check out based on the reveiws.Reckon Im going to start a recent purchases thread aswell.Would be handy to get recommendations price wise or from different online retailers.

• Advertisement

I find Amazon's market place quite good for finding a bargain or two, just ordered Henry 2 for £0.68 and Hemoglobin for £0.62, both new. Shipping at £1.24 per item makes them around 2.50 Euro each :D

Used both movies are £0.01, but I'm not that stingy :p

Advertisement