Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭part time punk

seachto7 wrote: »
    I have In the Fishtank, it's quite good. Is White Lunar good yeah?

Very belated reply ... I do like White Lunar. Although it's mostly instrumental tracks, I just think that it's full of really beautiful, evocative and haunting music. Though there is the odd bit of raucous guitar in it too. It's kind of like the opposite of Grinderman, so I guess it just depends on what you're into it what mood you're in. But by and large I'd recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Alako

Hello!

I need recommendations please for music to listen to whilst studying as have grown tired of current stock and don't have time to go music hunting!

It needs to be mostly instrumental, or just non-evasive vocals.

I'll listen to anything really,

Bibio (ambivalence avenue - heavy rotation)
    Royksopp (same with Senior)
    Shadow Dancer
    Richie Hawtin
    Flying Lotus
    The Field

A nice bit of techno usually helps me concentrate.

I actually got pretty productive listening to Music for the Jilted Generation the other day : )

I like classical but no idea what album to get.. I hate 'Advertisement classical'... cornetto ad etc. Lyric plays some non-descript plinky plonky music the odd time, but I never catch who it is.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Alako wrote: »
    Hello!

I need recommendations please for music to listen to whilst studying as have grown tired of current stock and don't have time to go music hunting!

Bibio (ambivalence avenue - heavy rotation)
    Royksopp (same with Senior)
    Shadow Dancer
    Richie Hawtin
    Flying Lotus
    The Field

A nice bit of techno usually helps me concentrate.

I actually got pretty productive listening to Music for the Jilted Generation the other day : )

I don't listen to techno so much but I like a lot of electronic music, can't recommend Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada and Telefon Tel Aviv enough :cool:

I like classical but no idea what album to get.. I hate 'Advertisement classical'... cornetto ad etc. Lyric plays some non-descript plinky plonky music the odd time, but I never catch who it is.

A few things I got really into while revising before my Leaving Cert are Górecki's 3rd Symphony and some Arvo Pärt stuff. Put some of this on, get to work, and maybe halfway through the piece, if you're like me, you'll go "Hang on, this music is incredible!!". I think I would've found it tough if I'd just properly listened from the start, 'cause I'd never listened to classical properly before. YMMV though ;)

Górecki's a bit harder to find 'cause the first movement of the 3rd symphony is like 25 minutes long, but the first half is the bit you should try out I reckon, just an amazing sequence building and layering;

It's by far his most famous piece, so there are always really cheap CDs of the whole symphony in the classical sections of Tower Records and the like, if you like that movement you should definitely pick it up (there's a soprano in there with the string orchestra, all the words she sings are taken from graffiti on the walls of concentration camps!). I don't think classical singing is quite as distracting as singing in popular music?

And just because it's ****in' unreal;

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

Album: The Entire City Was Silent
    Band: Followed by Ghosts
    Genre: Instrumental Post Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Hey folks

Heres what im looking for,something along the lines of Mercury Rev,Beach House,Beach Boys/Brian Wilson,Flaming Lips,Sparklehorse,Mazzy Star,Polyphonic Spree.......

You get the idea.....or at least i hope you do! the above has been referred to as "Dream Pop",not a great name for a genre but maybe it helps(i remember some journalists trying to push "Orch Pop" around the time of "Deserter Songs",now that was bad)

Basically stuff that has that "big" sound,oh and ive tried Spiritualised God knows how many times but i just cant get into them before anyone mentions them,loads of people i know who's opinion i really respect love them but i just dont get it

Hope you guys get what im looking for,just going through a major Mercury Rev phase at the moment after the gigs last week,i need more of this kind of thing.......

Cheers....go for it!

Oh and i finally got round to the last Deerhunter tonight,love it,ordered off Amazon after it finished,theyre not a million miles from what im going for either,if i can get even one new band to love out of this ill be eternally grateful;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Hello!

El PR0N has made some great suggestions with the Classical stuff above,some beautiful music there(Górecki's 3rd Symphony in particular)

Something else to consider might be these series of Adagios(basically just a slow movement in a piece of music in case you dont know)albums you can get on Amazon,heres a link to the Violin one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violin-Adagios-Various-Artists/dp/B000058BGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306445539&sr=8-1

I have the Violin,Viola and Piano ones myself,i think theyd go well with studying.......or raging hangovers:o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just remembering how great M83's Saturdays = Youth is.

Super album, and apparently Zola Jesus is guesting on their new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

lordgoat wrote: »

Yes indeed that's a brilliant album, probably the best of 2008.

I'm really looking forward to their new album, whenever it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

was going to suggest gorecki but was beaten to it. :) what is useful for me is music that like a couple of those mentioned above is music that is not too needy. the kind of stuff you can dip in and out of along the way but occasionally grabs your attention and reminds you it's there.

other stuff i'd suggest are
    mike oldfield tubular bells
    gershwin's rhapsody in blue
    the blue notebooks or memory house by max richter
    brahms german requiem.
    beethoven's piano sonatas

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I saw these guys supporting Low a few weeks back, and they were fantastic. Surprised that I hadn't heard of them before. I bought the album Wild Go/Bright Bright Bright at the gig and it's been on loop since....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

lordgoat wrote: »

It actually is just brilliant. I randomly decided to listen to it again last month, and that opening track is just spectacular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm looking for some recommendations, I've been so content with my itunes library for the last number of years that I've barely given any new music a chance! I listen to most genres but nothing that's been released in recent times, alt/indie would be the genre I listen to the least so I'm trying to broaden my horizons there!

In the last few days I've listened to and liked the following...

Bon Iver - Bon Iver (on first listen I wasn't sure but I'm getting more into it)
    The National - High Violet
    The Antlers - Hospice
    Beach House - Teen Dream
    Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
    The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You (Love this!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Without reading the whole thread maybe they where mentioned but menomena's albums should be in any serious music fans arsenal and I would recommend their albums as my favs of all-time!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

4Sheets wrote: »
    Without reading the whole thread maybe they where mentioned but menomena's albums should be in any serious music fans arsenal and I would recommend their albums as my favs of all-time!

They're a fantastic band. And they're every bit as good live as they are on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TwoCanDan

Mines is possibly my favourite album of last year...I'll be interested to see what they come up with now that Brent Knopf has left to concentrate on Ramona Falls...
    I love this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga0ohgZFVqc

(ps: any chance some nice person could help poor feeble-minded me to embed YouTube vids properly? I enter the link between the

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Ah man..didnt know they disbandied I was under the impression they where coming back with a long overdue album..ah well...Roman Falls it is and that video looks awesome!

Real simple just put the part after = between the youtube brackets i.e Ga0ohgZFVqc

[ YOUTUBE ] Ga0ohgZFVqc [ /YOUTUBE ] //no spaces

Ah man..didnt know they disbandied I was under the impression they where coming back with a long overdue album..ah well...Roman Falls it is and that video looks awesome!
    Don't panic! The other two lads are still Menomena (from Wikipedia)...

"On January 7, 2011 it was confirmed by Pitchfork that Brent Knopf had left group to focus on his other musical project Ramona Falls. Knopf will be replaced by Paul Alcott for Menomena's upcoming tour dates. Both Knopf and Danny Seim addressed the matter in an interview posted on the Portland-based Local Cut blog two weeks later. Seim mentioned that he and Justin Harris will continue to make music as Menomena, stating, "We lost a major creative force in Brent, but thankfully, Brent’s not Kurt Cobain, and we’re not Nirvana. Brent’s more like Peter Gabriel and we’re more like Genesis. And everyone knows how much better Genesis got after that talentless hack Gabriel quit. Waitaminute…""

They tweeted at the end of last month that they're back in Portland to record a new album...Good news!

Thanks for the YouTube help...Derp!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Hello!

Thanks!
    Classical does trance too you know - Philip Glass is the master

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Hi guys,
    just wondered if anyone has any new music songs/album recommendations they could recommend for those of us doing some travelling this summer?

I'm going Interrailing for 4 weeks myself and would love some new music to take with me.
    I have the new Bon Iver one, I'm also a huge 'National' fan so anything along those lines or not would be great!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Hi all,

I've recently taken up running, and it's only since I've started trying to put a variety of good up-tempo playlists together that I've realised I listen to a lot of mid-tempo to slow stuff! Ideally I'm looking for quite fast stuff and although I do love a bit of indie rock, I'm finding it relatively difficult to come up with as big a selection as I'd like. I'm sure there's loads of really obvious ones that I'm not thinking of though! Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've recently taken up running, and it's only since I've started trying to put a variety of good up-tempo playlists together that I've realised I listen to a lot of mid-tempo to slow stuff! Ideally I'm looking for quite fast stuff and although I do love a bit of indie rock, I'm finding it relatively difficult to come up with as big a selection as I'd like. I'm sure there's loads of really obvious ones that I'm not thinking of though! Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!

Hey,
    You've probably heard of LCD Soundsystem's 45:33...I used to find it great to run to, but got bored of it due to overuse...one long track that ramps up gradually, then slows down at the end too...part of the Nike Original Run series...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45:33

I find Queens of the Stone Age good for short high intensity runs...

This may sound preposterous, but if you're doing long runs or training for a marathon, audiobooks can be bloody brilliant...two hours whizzes by...

If I think of more I'll get back to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

TwoCanDan wrote: »
    Hey,
    You've probably heard of LCD Soundsystem's 45:33...I used to find it great to run to, but got bored of it due to overuse...one long track that ramps up gradually, then slows down at the end too...part of the Nike Original Run series...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45:33

I find Queens of the Stone Age good for short high intensity runs...

This may sound preposterous, but if you're doing long runs or training for a marathon, audiobooks can be bloody brilliant...two hours whizzes by...

If I think of more I'll get back to you...

Thanks, great suggestions there. Two that I hadn't thought of and are right up my street!

The audiobook thing sounds interesting...I listen to them in the car sometimes but never would of thought of them for running! Makes sense though, I might have to give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rosshennessy

true, have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dog Lipstick

One of the most criminally underrated bands of the 90's, this particular song is one that has been covered by A Perfect Circle...Original is better for me :). Maynard was apparently a big fan.

Failure - Fantastic Planet, amazing album...17 tracks or so of brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bigfloppydonkey

Joy Formidable - A Balloon Called Moaning

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Belle And Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bigfloppydonkey

Framed10 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    just wondered if anyone has any new music songs/album recommendations they could recommend for those of us doing some travelling this summer?

I'm going Interrailing for 4 weeks myself and would love some new music to take with me.
    I have the new Bon Iver one, I'm also a huge 'National' fan so anything along those lines or not would be great!
    thanks

If you like The National you'd probably love Interpol, and obviously Joy Division are amazing too. Fleet Foxes and Laura Marling are breathtaking also. There's some great new artists coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

Foster the People......im LOVING their album Torches right now!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Howdy

I need to add some more upbeat shizzle to me collection so I do. I'm interested in recommendations for upbeat, rhythmic stuff like Passion Pit.

Bit of an edge but nice n poppy, melodic, sing-along and not necessarily guitar music - nothing against guitars, far from it, but on this occasion I'm seeking more electronic stuff, keyboards n synths etc. Big 80s fan. The themes can me as dark as you want as long as the music makes me move. As much as I can move in my car anyway...

Not quite as dancey and straight up beat driven as Cut Copy but close...if I'm making sense at all...

Thanks in advance people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Howdy

I need to add some more upbeat shizzle to me collection so I do. I'm interested in recommendations for upbeat, rhythmic stuff like Passion Pit.

Bit of an edge but nice n poppy, melodic, sing-along and not necessarily guitar music - nothing against guitars, far from it, but on this occasion I'm seeking more electronic stuff, keyboards n synths etc. Big 80s fan. The themes can me as dark as you want as long as the music makes me move. As much as I can move in my car anyway...

Not quite as dancey and straight up beat driven as Cut Copy but close...if I'm making sense at all...

Thanks in advance people.

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion (if you don't already have it)
    Maybe check out The Chromatics too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

yep have that one - and forgotten totally about it, must dig it out.

what i've heard of Foster The People sounds good too

Advertisement