Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for raw cultured butter and grassfed beef

Options
  • 04-05-2010 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Howdy, wondering if anyone knows whereabouts i could locate raw unpasteurized cultured goat's or sheep's butter... and also grass-fed beef? I've tried numerous sources for the beef but all seem to rely on grain feed most of the year. I haven't a clue where to start looking for the butter, im guessing local community farmers markets would be the best bet. Although theres not much of them here in Limerick.
    Thanks in advance,
    B.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The best advise I can give is make friends with a goat/sheep dairy farmer and get some 'free' raw milk. (It is illegal to sell raw milk in this country)

You'll need a few gallons. Leave the cream on the counter top for a day. Put it in a food processor and process until it separates. Pour off the liquid. This is butter milk. The yellow solids that remain are the butter. Pour some filtered cold water in with the butter and process again. This is called washing the butter. Pour off the water. Discard it. Scoop your butter into an airtight container and store in the fridge or in a butter keeper on the counter.

You can then use the buttermilk to make creme fraiche with any leftover cream:

Take that butter milk (from the butter-making)... Take about 2 tablespoons and add it to a cup of fresh cream. Leave it in a warm window or a warm spot for 25 hours. It should thicken and taste sour. Transfer to the the fridge.

If you make it coming into summer then you'll be guaranteed very high vitamin butter as the animals are eating fast growing grass at the moment which increases the vitamin content of the milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shellerz

Great stuff, ill give it a go. Can you tell me if its ok to store the butter in the freezer. Would it kill off the beneficial bacteria?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

shellerz wrote: »
    Great stuff, ill give it a go. Can you tell me if its ok to store the butter in the freezer. Would it kill off the beneficial bacteria?

Yep, no problem freezing butter, bacteria should be ok, just make sure you defrost it slowly at room temperature.

Advertisement