Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4X4 for work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

well judging on the pic it looks fairly fresh and its not overpriced. is it commercial or 7 seater....
    if its 7 seater insurance mite be sore alrite...
    try munster group in ennis for a quote...i found them by far the cheapest for a commercial 4x4 quote

065 9080265

DD

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

well judging on the pic it looks fairly fresh and its not overpriced. is it commercial or 7 seater....
    if its 7 seater insurance mite be sore alrite...
    try munster group in ennis for a quote...i found them by far the cheapest for a commercial 4x4 quote

065 9080265

DD
    the one in the picture is a lhd american reg so i doubt its the one hes buying.
    for 1200 it would probally be a bit rougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

mossfort wrote: »

just noticed shes a lefty when you pointed it out....should have gone to ss...
    but the range rovers being a luxury vehicle are not generally used for roughing and toughing....usually (but not all the time) they will be well looked after especially if 7 seater.....???

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

just noticed shes a lefty when you pointed it out....should have gone to ss...
    but the range rovers being a luxury vehicle are not generally used for roughing and toughing....usually (but not all the time) they will be well looked after especially if 7 seater.....???

Yeah buddy its not that one, I just put it up for an example!:D Was considering taking the back seats out and cutting the safety bars...ah it'd be for hauling around ladders for inspections and sites until I got a Discovery or Cruiser!

mossfort wrote: »

Yeah its a bit rougher I think there's a few bits that need replacing so he'll prob knock it off. Have to check the insurance before I do anything though...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

TM RACING wrote: »
    when i think of modding a 4x4 I thing if winches, snorkels, BFG MT's....
    not side skirts and chrome alloys. Anyone who 'pimps' a landcruiser dose not deserve one.
    i do some 4x4 offroading ,so depends,land crusiers are good but depends on years and how well looked after,my brother got a outlander commerical which he gets 39 mpg but not sure how it be in site and dirt road work, hilux good one, specialy crewcabs version,some times get better deals on border counties but with resession ,can get good deals too,friends tell me discoverys are good on juice but give alot of problems ,i cant say as i never had one,looking for second commerical for work as in jeep as some work i do requires me too go off beaten track

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

would think it may be abit heavy on juice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I'd be wary of a P38 Rangie, they had a lot of electronic problems although any left will be pretty sorted, check everything works. I assume it's a diesel (6 pot beemer) which are OK, the 4.2 and 4.6 V8 petrols suffered from porous blocks. They have airbag suspension, make sure it sits level and doesn't sag, airbags are cheap and easy to change, rest of the system isn't if ignored. You can change them for coils but it spoils the ride.

You get a hell of a lot of vehicle for the money and you can get the gear to read ECUs at a reasonable price. You can also buy bling stuff to make them look like a Range Rover Sport ;)

101sean wrote: »
    I'd be wary of a P38 Rangie, they had a lot of electronic problems although any left will be pretty sorted, check everything works. I assume it's a diesel (6 pot beemer) which are OK, the 4.2 and 4.6 V8 petrols suffered from porous blocks. They have airbag suspension, make sure it sits level and doesn't sag, airbags are cheap and easy to change, rest of the system isn't if ignored. You can change them for coils but it spoils the ride.

You get a hell of a lot of vehicle for the money and you can get the gear to read ECUs at a reasonable price. You can also buy bling stuff to make them look like a Range Rover Sport ;)

Ah I tried a few insurance places (haven't been able to contact Munster group yet..) me insurance would be 1000 third party, parked in me da's lock up and all!! I enquired about converting it to commercail with the proper nct passed and they said they'd never heard of that being done...? Looks like I may very well be waiting till I'm qualified just to afford the insurance :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

If you are in the building game, you may be better off with a fiesta and just suck up the bumps. All the guys I know who are surveyors and engineers are struggling to pay for their jeeps, you can feed pigs with em. If you are not fully qualified, you might be better off with an old suzuki swift. Guys who are employing engineers at the moment have their pick, and they will pick the experienced and well priced.

• Advertisement

dunsandin wrote: »
    If you are in the building game, you may be better off with a fiesta and just suck up the bumps. All the guys I know who are surveyors and engineers are struggling to pay for their jeeps, you can feed pigs with em. If you are not fully qualified, you might be better off with an old suzuki swift. Guys who are employing engineers at the moment have their pick, and they will pick the experienced and well priced. My wifes advice as she sits beside me is, get a job at mcdonalds and a pushbike! What Jeep!!! A clapped out Nissan Terrano!! Get real, me auld china. Read a few papers. I love the twats who turn up on quotes to jobs alongside me driving an 08 porsche cayenne, cos it means that me in my pile of sh1te has already got the job, cos you have to pay for the cayenne, and I dont!!! Jesus wept, what year is it, 2006??? Get real. Earn the dosh and then buy your jeep. You can call me an arrogant twat, but im a busy arrogant twat, and my advice is, get a fiesta. Edit: Unless Daddy is paying for it.

Yeah I know theres an aul recession on but I've a good bit saved up from the multitude of jobs I've done over the years.. If I'm willing to work for it and run it why shouldn't I get it..?Not me fault them lads can't run them...Your not the only one whose busy and if I'm on site it means the job has already been agreed...And no, Daddy isn't paying for it..!!!
    Also thanks for the job advise but I think I'll give McD's a miss but if thats were you are get me a big mac thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

You stated in your OP that you were"studying" to become.... Multitude of jobs done, fair play. Im looking at getting a Ford Ranger. If you have the work, get the perk, if your just dreaming, dream on. Not pulling your wire, just being realistic and honest. There is a big difference between being a student with big ideas and a lad with work on. Apologies if I got you wrong. I meet wannabe this and thats every day, if you are busy, good on you, if you want a tough bus for work, get a ranger, ive done the whole landie, cruiser and so on, and I like the ranger best. (For all the students out there, get a fiesta!!!)

QUOTE]You stated in your OP that you were"studying" to become.... [/QUOTE]
    Sorry I wasn't too clear on that! I'm going into me last year in college as a Building Surveyor but I'v been working for a Building Surveying firm every week I have off and at every opportunity so I have a bit of experience (and hopefully) a job leaving college..
    Multitude of jobs done, fair play.

I've done everything from deliverying bouncy castles to window washing..
    Im looking at getting a Ford Ranger. If you have the work, get the perk, if your just dreaming, dream on. Not pulling your wire, just being realistic and honest.
    that's exactly the way I see it, if your going to be on the road or site alot and carrying equipment ya might as well be comfortable :D
    There is a big difference between being a student with big ideas and a lad with work on. Apologies if I got you wrong. I meet wannabe this and thats every day, if you are busy, good on you, if you want a tough bus for work, get a ranger, ive done the whole landie, cruiser and so on, and I like the ranger best.

No apologies necessary..there are a good few dreamers around and not enough realistic people!!

Advertisement