Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to charge for portraits?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Just out of interest - How much would people be looking to earn per hour/per annum whatever (on top of your costs) to consider photography as a viable full time business.

I know it varies for everyone but say a figure below which you wouldn't even consider it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If I was a photographer with no other income then I would have to earn a regular wage which would allow me to support my home expenses, also have enough to put aside for equipment upgrades and insurance. I think in that case I would need about a grand net per week at least.
    Is this unreasonable ?
    By the way I am not into photography to make money, I am purely a hobbyist.
    Most punters do not realise the amount of money we have invested in to buy our cameras, lenses etc. And maybe we don't give it enough thought that to upgrade our gear is very expensive.

Unreasonable, I would have thought a bare minimum .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Covey wrote: »
    Unreasonable, I would have thought a bare minimum .

I started photography as a hobby and took it further after being asked to do work for friends of friends etc. For me I would love a good full time wage, the odd time I would get it and more but weekly 300 would do me.

I started photography as a hobby and took it further after being asked to do work for friends of friends etc. For me I would love a good full time wage, the odd time I would get it and more but weekly 300 would do me.

Fair play to you, but that works out at 87% of the minimum wage. How you could upgrade equipment etc on that is beyond me. :(

• Advertisement

Fair play to you, but that works out at 87% of the minimum wage. How you could upgrade equipment etc on that is beyond me. :(

Ah but I dont work full time. I work 4hrs 2 days and 5 hours one day, then if I do a wedding its a good week;)

Just out of interest - How much would people be looking to earn per hour/per annum whatever (on top of your costs) to consider photography as a viable full time business.

Ah so you were answering your own question then :D:pac:

Ah so you were answering your own question then :D:pac:

lol, yeah, I meant Id like a good full time wage for what I work. lol. It depends on the hours you put in and the extra work that comes in, call outs and weddings always guarantee a good wage but they cannot be depended upon weekly for many, especially if like me you are only in the game a couple of years.

Ok, when you calculate it out, it's within an asses roar of Pixybyjohns answer anyway!

Ah looks like it is, but I dont really want to work 40 hours a week just yet anyway, I like my family time, young family and that! Doing wedding photography pixbyjohns figure would be obtainable with a wedding a week, and trust me I would love a wedding a week so ask me again in a few years time then I might say you know what I'm earning all I want to earn but until then I will dream;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have no idea what you ought to charge, but I felt compelled to C&C the photos. Sorry if I am out of line...

#1 - a bit anonymous, could be any baby, anywhere
    #2 - nice - ish, but a bit soft
    #3 - stunning! Sharp eyeballs, brilliant expression, beautiful. Well done!
    #4 - No eyeballs, nice colours etc but not really compelling.

To be fair to you, I am not a pro & would struggle to get results like any of these - but as a parent I would pay eu100 for a 12" x 12" framed of #3 & consider it good value. I wouldn't pay that for the others though. I hope that helps...

-FoxT

FoxT wrote: »
    I have no idea what you ought to charge, but I felt compelled to C&C the photos. Sorry if I am out of line...

To be fair to you, I am not a pro & would struggle to get results like any of these - but as a parent I would pay eu100 for a 12" x 12" framed of #3 & consider it good value. I wouldn't pay that for the others though. I hope that helps...

-FoxT

There's some good "customer" feedback imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

-FoxT

I'd agree with all of that - good assessment IMO.

Only thing that I'd have to add is that the PP in #1 is poor. The childs eyes could be brightened a bit but Daddys 'cut-off' hairline looks terrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rustyf81

Suzie,
    I've just been looking for portaits there to buy as a present for a newly engaged couple.
    An hour in the studio is 50 euro, and then its 115 per framed photo after that, thats the smallest size 6 x 8, and it goes up to 400 for the bigger sizes.

i know different as you are a call out fee, i just think maybe charge per hour, 150 call out is alot, when on top of that again are the prints and frame!!:P:P:P:P

I ADORE your pics...im still looking for value.. What would you charge for a call out fee so do you think? ur pics are fabilious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

rusty - give smelltheglove a PM - she does portrait stuff and wont break the bank.... you can always haggle a bit on price !!...look for a boardsie discount ;)

PCPhoto wrote: »
    rusty - give smelltheglove a PM - she does portrait stuff and wont break the bank.... you can always haggle a bit on price !!...look for a boardsie discount ;)

Thanks PC, rusty pm'd me so we may be able to arrange something.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

-FoxT

Appreciate the feedback.. I'm not a pro.. Only have my SLR since Christmas time..
    No. 1 - I'm sure the parents would know its there baby though & they have selected it as part of a collage I showed them
    No. 2 - Wasn't asked to take any of this child, she was cousin of baby I was asked to take photos of and happened to be in the room & was feeling left out so I took a few of her ... again turns out her parents love it as much better than what they can do.. Believe me, I know I'm no expert but the service I plan to provide initially will be a better service than most people can do themselves.. Hopefully in a year or so I'll have developed so much more. I'm very determined to do that :)
    No. 3 - Thankfully that baby loved the camera & got some pretty good shots of her. Thanks for the compliment btw :o
    No. 4 - Thats just my niece in the back field - nothing planned, just had the camera with me..

Thanks again for your opinion and for taking the time to reply. And yes it does help :)

I just want to thank you all so much for your replies and help ;)
    I was away for a few days and tooka break from the internet :rolleyes:

I'd like to thank you all for your valued opinions and ideas... I know I'm no pro and some of my shots aren't great but I am very new to photography. Only have my SLR 4months and hadn't a clue about settings etc before that! I had a great little point & shoot before that & thats exactly what i did - point & shoot.. so be gentle with me.. :-)
    I don't plan to charge much.. just cover my costs. I still think it will be hard to decide as it depends how many people want & their decision on that will probably depend on my cost...
    I think anyone who has asked me, only wants the actual print & they'll pick the frame themselves to suit their own taste but I'd be more than willing to get them mounted & framed if that was requested..

So I'll keep at it & once the customer is happy, I'll be happy ;)

I'd agree with all of that - good assessment IMO.

Only thing that I'd have to add is that the PP in #1 is poor. The childs eyes could be brightened a bit but Daddys 'cut-off' hairline looks terrible!!!

I'm really new to this.. yes, by all means be honest but 'looks terrible is a bit harsh! What do you suggest I do? I wanted to show the baby on her dads shoulder. The eyes can be brightened up more alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

SusieQue wrote: »
    Appreciate the feedback.. I'm not a pro.. Only have my SLR since Christmas time
    Good luck in your venture, I am sure you will do well.
    John

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Good luck in your venture, I am sure you will do well.
    John

Thank you John.. Really appreciate that ;)

Thanks PC, rusty pm'd me so we may be able to arrange something.

A nice bit of business there for you so :D

Advertisement