Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pic's make you say OMG!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    This taken by http://www.flickr.com/photos/slinky2000/
    I really like all his car shots.

2290381583_cec0ab327e_o.jpg

Whats OMG about this???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

sineadw wrote: »
    Whilst I agree wholeheartedly about the cowboys, I just don't get the above sentiment. I shoot film at lot, but when I'm shooting digital for personal stuff I take just as few shots. Having a DSLR doesn't mean you're automatically going to go into machine gun mode.

Or is it that you mean if you shoot film you're probably a better class of photographer?

No not better class at all.I just prefer film that's my opinion.

Its hard to explain without sounding like a complete dick but as photography gets easier and more people get into it. The quality level is dropping and becoming less original. More and more bog standard photos are appearing on here and other forums I go on. Everyone can take a photo of a sunset but now we have photoshop and lightroom to make it actually good.

I sound like a complete arse saying that because a lot of these people would only be starting into photography so obviously its not going to be great.

I think it all depends on what kind of style you develop into.. The first maybe 2 years I got into photography I was taking pictures of sunsets and flowers all the time :eek: Now I try my best take photos of stuff no one else has before. Im trying to capture something significant.

Again I dunno all this stuff makes sense in my head :o

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

This thread never started out as a battle ground between film and digital, you are way off topic! Just accept that these are two different media, each with it's own place and use... It's NOT a case of which is better, It's more to with what suits you and gives pleasure... BOTH have good and bad points...

My own view is, if you have never used a manual camera, (nothing auto) and developed a roll of your own film and processed your own prints, you have missed out on a really great experience that brings with it a great deal of pleasure and knowledge about photography that you will never get near with digital.

It helps you learn the difference between a snapshot and a picture...
    And to all those who swapped over to digital,
    If snapshots were all you took on film, that's all you'll get on digital.

Just accept that these are two different media!

Now, where are the OMG pic's? Not the Wow or AAAHHHHHH or WTF..

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Whats OMG about this???

That pic really enhances the lines of the car and makes me appreciate that car.

Although I think I might have missed the point of the thread. For me that pic makes me go wow rather than omg...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

That makes more sense to me daz... But it's more about experience and developing an eye than the medium.. And for the record and on topic, if a shot makes me go omg it's usually for the wrong reasons:-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I suppose everyones OMG is different. For me seeing this in the farm the other day was mine..... :eek: Difficult to depict a smell in a photo.

D8D1ED85CF3B44C6B7604519DFEF5D12-800.jpg

Nothing wrong a bit of healthy debate :p but right back onto the topic at hand.. Ill post a few wow photos

04.jpg.jpg

Photographer by the name of Dana Stone! He was friends with the actor Errol Flynn's son Sean Flynn. Both were captured and held by the vietcong for several years before being executed.

4193917468_7e72bd9de1.jpg

taken by this guy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_kaufmann/

Also someone on here took this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13111789@N00/3963747973/

wish I could imbed it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

dazftw wrote: »
    No not better class at all.I just prefer film that's my opinion.

Its hard to explain without sounding like a complete dick but as photography gets easier and more people get into it. The quality level is dropping and becoming less original. More and more bog standard photos are appearing on here and other forums I go on. Everyone can take a photo of a sunset but now we have photoshop and lightroom to make it actually good.

I sound like a complete arse saying that because a lot of these people would only be starting into photography so obviously its not going to be great.

I think it all depends on what kind of style you develop into.. The first maybe 2 years I got into photography I was taking pictures of sunsets and flowers all the time :eek: Now I try my best take photos of stuff no one else has before. Im trying to capture something significant.

Again I dunno all this stuff makes sense in my head :o

It is impossible to not come across as a dick if you are saying "one medium is inherently better than the other, period." Quality hasn't changed. Photographers were bitching about the dearth of quality on mailing lists twenty years ago; in photography clubs thirty years ago; in magazines forty years ago. In another forty years they'll be bitching about that newfangled technology that is displacing digital and film. No matter how far back you go, you will find photographers bitching about the impending death of the art and how kids these days are tramping all over their proverbial lawns.

No medium should ever be looked at as anything but a means to an end, or as a list of advantages and disadvantages. Holding either one up as a sacred cow is foolish and bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

dazftw wrote: »
    . The first maybe 2 years I got into photography I was taking pictures of sunsets and flowers all the time

how long ago was that and was it with a digital camera? Would you even have bothered with photography yourself if you had to learn on film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Freddie59 wrote: »
    For me, this type of image is an OMG!

4232454990_e5e1a3af45.jpg

And it's in Ireland.

I had some similar lake reflection shots and sumbitted them for C&C in our college photo soc... the American society auditor wouldn't believe that they were in Ireland..... then continued with plans for a photo trip to either Brussels or Venice! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Beautiful but NOT an OMG pic! missing the point of this thread completely.

The original poster said "Any pic's make you say OMG!"

OMG is a matter of personal interpretation. That pic is far more OMG to me than someone on the edge of fjord.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Barname wrote: »
    carterimage.jpg

there's a story behind the above image.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

That makes your stomach sink.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

4483256794_f4464d83c3_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Whats OMG about this???

Gold coloured rims on the front and silver ones on the back - as in OMG, how could they!

Fenster wrote: »
    It is impossible to not come across as a dick if you are saying "one medium is inherently better than the other, period." Quality hasn't changed. Photographers were bitching about the dearth of quality on mailing lists twenty years ago; in photography clubs thirty years ago; in magazines forty years ago. In another forty years they'll be bitching about that newfangled technology that is displacing digital and film. No matter how far back you go, you will find photographers bitching about the impending death of the art and how kids these days are tramping all over their proverbial lawns.

No medium should ever be looked at as anything but a means to an end, or as a list of advantages and disadvantages. Holding either one up as a sacred cow is foolish and bigoted.

Good thing I don't think that so. I prefer film but I don't think its superior its all down to the photographer.
    eas wrote: »
    how long ago was that and was it with a digital camera? Would you even have bothered with photography yourself if you had to learn on film?

Iv'e been taking photos for about 5ish years 5 this year I think. Ive been using film only a year. The last year funnily enough iv'e started to develop on a certain style.

If I had of started on film? I don't know.. I probably would have for this simple reason! I got into photography because of skateboarding and reading skate magazines. Iv'e never been very good at but ill be doing it ten years next year. I just enjoyed for what it was and thought taking photos would be the same feeling. At the time when I bought my 1st camera I didnt know anyone that knew anything about photography. My only knowledge was from reading magazines like "digital photographer" and "digital photography 101" so I guess I was cornered into the medium :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fenster wrote: »
    It is impossible to not come across as a dick if you are saying "one medium is inherently better than the other, period."
    i'd disagree, simply because i find opinionated people more interesting to those who toe the 'they're the same' party line.

film and digital are not identical. it's foolish and a cop-out (not accusing you of advancing that argument, btw) to argue that they are, and the trickle down effects of that influence photography. the best way to acknowledge that is not to insist they exist on a mathematically provable level footing, but to celebrate their respective strengths.

Someone make a new thread for the discussion side of this thread. Leave this to the photos.

picture.php?albumid=1133&pictureid=6108

picture.php?albumid=1133&pictureid=6110

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

OMG! I bet THEY had a fun afternoon! (but their parents probably had a real pisser of an evening!)
    RichieO wrote: »
    picture.php?albumid=1133&pictureid=6110

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A lot of photos from The Big Picture Photo Stories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That picture with the kids ... they must be in their late teens at this stage it's so old :P

Still nothing wowing me around the net ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Some good stuff in here on WebUrbanist:
    Stuff that looks photo-shopped but isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I saw this, and immediately thought that my job perhaps isn't quite so tough.

qv3rtbky.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

d11_23181779.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Barname wrote: »

there's a story behind the above image.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

not sure i want to know it TBH. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

heisler-17.jpg
    The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of "Cat," and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted.

Blatantly copied & pasted from Photos That Changed the world thread over in After Hours. Definitely a few OMG photo's posted in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    This taken by http://www.flickr.com/photos/slinky2000/
    I really like all his car shots.

2290381583_cec0ab327e_o.jpg

That would be my image! Thanks for the vote! I'm available for private photo-shoots too if anyone's interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Advertisement