Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done AH mods.

Options
  • 30-04-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

I'd just like to say you did a great job on modding the Gerry Ryan thread, it couldn't have been easy considering at one stage there was over 2,5k people on AH at one stage today.

Kudos. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

+1, great job all round

Hope Dr.B and Mickey Dolenz don't leave us just yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why? Who died?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I dunno, I had a perfectly valid non abusive or anti-Ryan thread that got deleted.

It had plenty of thanks*, so must assume had plenty of people agree with my sentiments.... seems unreasonable that this got deleted off hand

* I don't care about the thanks, but it illustrates my point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ah yeah but don't ya know, his family could be reading this. And like it's not like they've benefitted from him being in the public spotlight. Since the late 80s. So it's not fair game.

Oh hold on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

jtsuited wrote: »
    ah yeah but don't ya know, his family could be reading this. And like it's not like they've benefitted from him being in the public spotlight. Since the late 80s. So it's not fair game.

Oh hold on.
    Get over it ffs!

• Advertisement

ah so, rather than debating the points you're gonna just say 'get over it'. nice.

ah so, rather than debating the points you're gonna just say 'get over it'. nice.
    Yes. That is exactly what i'm going to say. Do you know why? Because you're like a broken record and have taken this thread off topic with your moaning. Are the other 2 threads you're bitching in not enough for you?

There's no 'points' to 'debate', just two opposing opinions: Those who have respect for the dead; and those who think that someone shouldn't be respected just because they were a public figure.

The latter should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

TheZohan wrote: »
    I'd just like to say you did a great job on modding the Gerry Ryan thread, it couldn't have been easy considering at one stage there was over 2,5k people on AH at one stage today.

Kudos. :)

Yeah holding down the delete button on all the posts you didn't agree with... job well done folks. Proud day for all of you.

Kiera wrote: »
    Yes. That is exactly what i'm going to say. Do you know why? Because you're like a broken record and have taken this thread off topic with your moaning. Are the other 2 threads you're bitching in not enough for you?

no clearly not Kiera. Love you people in feedback. Type of people who took names of bold children in class while teacher went out for a piss.

• Advertisement

I was the bold child in class.

Back on topic: Well done guys, you all did a great job :)

brummytom wrote: »
    There's no 'points' to 'debate', just two opposing opinions: Those who have respect for the dead; and those who think that someone shouldn't be respected just because they were a public figure.

The latter should be ashamed of themselves
    so hold on, you think the dead should be respected?? You see this is the thing. I don't hold that view at all. And I know I'm not alone. Not by a longshot.

So maybe it should be a rule on boards to not speak ill of the dead? But it's not going to be. Because everyone knows that it'd be a silly rule.

Kiera wrote: »
    I was the bold child in class.

Back on topic: Well done guys, you all did a great job :)

the topic is the modding of the AH thread. You might have noticed that that is what I'm actually talking about Kiera.

so hold on, you think the dead should be respected??

Yes, yes I do.
    You see this is the thing. I don't hold that view at all. And I know I'm not alone. Not by a longshot.

I'm well aware of that, it doesn't mean I think they're right
    So maybe it should be a rule on boards to not speak ill of the dead? But it's not going to be. Because everyone knows that it'd be a silly rule.
    That, at least immediately after a death, does seem to be the rule of thumb in AH, and quite rightly so.

the topic is the modding of the AH thread. You might have noticed that that is what I'm actually talking about Kiera.
    Have you actually mentioned moderation at all in this thread?:

Oh hold on.
    No, can't see anything about it there

Moderation? *Ctrl+F 'Mod'* ... nope
    no clearly not Kiera. Love you people in feedback. Type of people who took names of bold children in class while teacher went out for a piss.

Oh look, you didn't mention it there either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's there under "Don't be a dick." What the hell is wrong with you?

I don't know how the AH mods put up with this sort of ass-hattery so frequently. I really don't. You guys are mad, big damn heroes or some combination thereof.

Sarky wrote: »
    It's there under "Don't be a dick."

i think deleting posts that express opinions different from those of the mods is the actions of a dick. In fact I reckon a lot of people would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

jtsuited: Use your Help Desk thread to discuss the issues you have with the AH mods, not this one.

oh i will. but see i know why i was banned. see this is feedback yeah? where things like modding are discussed yeah? good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

pookie82 wrote: »
    Yeah holding down the delete button on all the posts you didn't agree with... job well done folks. Proud day for all of you.

All post in the Gerry Ryan thread that were deleted are for the following reasons:

Abuse, trolling, Quoting deleted posts or unfounded statements ect.

There are over 180 deleted posts in that thread and you have taken issue with ONE post that went against what you said.

You reported it at 22:49 , I saw the reported post at 22:54 and edited the post, down to "R.I.P Gerry Ryan".

It was overlooked and I'd say it was one of a few that might have been overlooked by the mods on a very fast paced thread today.

Your post was deleted because it was quoting Wizzard007's post, which was edited as per your reported post of
    My post addressing this was removed, but this guy telling me to "get real" for having an opinion remains.

Please be consistent in what you remove.

The mods are consistent but we are not super human and remember for every post that we deleted, there also had to be a post looked for that may have quoted that deleted post.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my fellow AHs mods for a job well done from the time the news broke of Gerry's untimely death up to this minute.

Also thanks to doc and Mickey Dolenz for stepping in when needed along with Admin input.

oh i will. but see i know why i was banned. see this is feedback yeah? where things like modding are discussed yeah? good man.

There's a difference between constructive feedback and polluting other threads with whinging. You are not providing constructive feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

'don't be a dick', it really is quite a simple rule. you may not think disrespecting someone who tragically passed away for no apparent reason, particularly on a forum which is frequented by members of the mans family, is out of order but thankfully it ain't your call. You're sense of good taste seems to be seriously warped.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    who tragically passed away for no apparent reason,.

lol. really?

This is not a thread to discuss the death of Gerry Ryan.

Conor wrote: »
    There's a difference between constructive feedback and polluting other threads with whinging. You are not providing constructive feedback.

not whining. just not lettin you guys off the hook on something I believe you're clearly wrong on. But let me be more constructive.

When Jade Goody died, I posted an almost identical post in the relevant thread as I did today regarding Ryan.

Didn't get deleted, got a good bit of thanks and nobody said boo.

So what's the difference between her and Ryan?

The fact that it's more local is a very very very weak argument imo. So therefore I'm asking WHY these rules aren't consistent. In case there's something I'm missing other than 'he's Irish'.

brummytom wrote: »
    Oh for fuck sake... the man had young children; of course it's tragic

was referring to the no apparent reason bit actually.

was referring to the no apparent reason bit actually.
    Apologies, I misunderstood your post.

On topic; the mods did a good job today, the response to 'celebrity death threads' from mods seems to get better each time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

All post in the Gerry Ryan thread that were deleted are for the following reasons:

Abuse, trolling, Quoting deleted posts or unfounded statements ect.

There are over 180 deleted posts in that thread and you have taken issue with ONE post that went against what you said.

You reported it at 22:49 , I saw the reported post at 22:54 and edited the post, down to "R.I.P Gerry Ryan".

It was overlooked and I'd say it was one of a few that might have been overlooked by the mods on a very fast paced thread today.

Your post was deleted because it was quoting Wizzard007's post, which was edited as per your reported post of

The mods are consistent but we are not super human and remember for every post that we deleted, there also had to be a post looked for that may have quoted that deleted post.

If you have edited his post to remove his comment about getting real then that's fair enough. I'm happy as long as ALL such posts are removed/edited. I would suggest though, as I have endlessly, that a fast paced thread such as this which is clearly a task to handle for the mods, be edited by way of its title to indicate what exactly is expected of the posters. It really would save everyone a lot of time. I would see that it's a condolence thread for GR and would not bother posting anything else.

Thank you for answering me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

not whining. just not lettin you guys off the hook on something I believe you're clearly wrong on. But let me be more constructive.

When Jade Goody died, I posted an almost identical post in the relevant thread as I did today regarding Ryan.

Didn't get deleted, got a good bit of thanks and nobody said boo.

So what's the difference between her and Ryan?

The fact that it's more local is a very very very weak argument imo. So therefore I'm asking WHY these rules aren't consistent. In case there's something I'm missing other than 'he's Irish'.
    Nothing to do with local, its to do with the fact that he's been on the airwaves since 1978, and has established himself, whether you like it or not, as one of the country's most established and respected broadcasters.
    Jade Goody as tragic as her death was, as she also had young kids, wasn't quite the institution that Gerry Ryan was.

Moan and bitch about em all ye want when they're alive, but when someone passes, they lose the option to defend their beliefs or ideas against people that choose to continue to berate them.

ah so local then. fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

ah so local then. fair enough.
    You don't make a whole lotta sense do you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement