Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ned's Recently Viewed Horror Movies

• 30-04-2010 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

The Fog (1980)
    One of Carpenters best flicks IMO.Although being 30 years old it is as atmospheric and eerie as it was when I first saw it many years ago.Its in a similar vein to Halloween in that it doesnt rely on cheap scares or gratuitous gore to get a reaction,in fact there is no blood in it at all and the scenes of violence that are in it are largely unfocused upon.Excellent ghost story from a genre master.
    8/10

Murder Collection V.1
    Movie number 5 from the guys at Toetag Pictures and IMO their weakest entry to date.Its basically a collection of different death scenes with the premise that the narrator Balan gathered them together and released them on the internet.Toetag are responsible for the August Underground Trilogy,a now infamous psuedo snuff movie series and unfortunatly MCV.1 suffers because of it.TTP released The Redsin Tower between the second and third movies in the August Underground trilogy and that movie was a huge departure in story and tone and is a very enjoyable independent horror however MCV.1 is trotting over old ground and frankly the AU series did it much much better.There are a couple of very intense "clips" in MCV.1 and as in all TTP movies the effects work courtesy of Jeremi Cruise is top notch but overall I was left wanting more and was pretty bored by the end of it.This movie is really for completists (like me) only.
    5/10

Maskhead
    The most recent release from Toetag Pictures is pretty good.The premise is that 2 fetish loving lesbians make increasingly bizarre S+M movies where the stars end getting murdered by the charector Maskhead.The effects work is excellent as always and includes a truly horrible arm breaking scene.One of the main charectors,The Cowboy,is one of the most depraved and disgusting people Ive ever seen commited to film and alot of his scenes had me laughing and cringing at the same time.Im of the opinion that Toetag should now steer away from the faux snuff genre and concentrate on original ideas like this or The Redsin Tower.
    7/10

Torched
    For alot of underground and extreme horror fans,myself included,Torched was one of the holy grails when it came to insane horror movies.It never got an official release(aside from being part of movies shorts set a few years ago) until about a month or so ago.For me,it more than lived up to the hype and was well worth the wait.Its a simple rape/revenge a la I Spit On Your Grave but what seperates it from that movie and others in the genre is the sheer level of carnage shown on screen.There is graphic,and I mean graphic torture scenes involving a mans genitals,a blowtorch,safety pins and other similar delights.Its only about 46 minutes in lenght but those 45 minutes are a hell of a ride.It was shot on a shoe string by Ryan Nicholson(who has gone on to make Gutterballs,Hanger and Live Feed)and is done so with an obvious love for and affinity with 70s rape/revenge sleaze like I Spit On Your Grave or Thriller:A Cruel Picture.Its currently available direct from Ryan himself (www.plotdigger.com) on a strictly limited run of 666(I got number 7) and he will personalise it at no extra charge.The dvd even comes with 4 or 5 badges and a few stickers thrown in as well.I recommend it for fans of the obscure or extreme.Personally,I feckin loved it.
    9/10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Mother of Tears
    One of Dario Argentos most recent efforts.Personally Ive always found his work hit and miss.There are masterpieces like Suspiria and there are kinda crappy ones like Trauma.This one falls somewhere between those 2.Its a second sequel (of sorts) to Suspiria and is about the 3rd witch - The Mother of Tears being reawakened in modern day and causing people to wreak havoc.It lacks the style of alot of Argentos stuff and there are parts of it that lag however on the plus side its not a bad story and some of the gore is top notch(I can even overlook a horrible CGI generated full body burn).While its not a must see its certainly well worth a watch if you can pick it up cheap or its on TV.
    6.5/10

Children of the Corn 2
    The original COTC is an enjoyable little horror from the pen of Stephen King,throwaway fluff handy for killing a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon but this lacklustre sequel is a chore to watch.Predictible,cliched and more or less boring as all hell.Very little gore and what gore there is isnt even that well done.Recurring charactors without any of the menace of the original actors and a pretty nonsensical ending make this one to avoid.
    3/10

Creepshow
    Penned by Stephen King and directed by George Romero,whats not to love?
    Not a thing,this movie kicks ass.Its a pure unadulterated love in for EC comics that King and Romero grew up reading.5 short stories about various things from a cheated husband (Leslie Neilson) to a redneck hick(wonderfully played by King himself),this is such an enjoyable movie.Those expecting big scares or lots of gore will be disappointed as there are neither,its just a really fun compendium of creepy stories written and directed with obvious affection.
    8/10

Chaos
    A blatant Last House on the Left rip off,this is a terrible movie.Piss poor acting,lead actresses devoid of any emotion,poorly executed gore and a frankly preposterous ending make this one of the worst plagarisms Ive ever had the misfortune to watch.Sofaking crappy I can hardly fathom it.
    2/10

Garden Of Love
    A rather enjoyable little German horror from splatter king Olaf Ittenbach.The story centres around the sole survivor of a brutal massacre and her apparent losing of her marbles.Its essentially a ghost story that has a nice twist ending.Like any Ittenbach movie,dont expect great acting or high end production values,you get what you invariably get from him,blood and guts by the truckload.There are some really cool death scenes in this and pretty much every piece of gore/violence is done with man made effects,something that should be applauded.The horror channel have shown this over the last month or 2 so I would advise those that are interested to check it out there as this is pretty damn pricey to get on dvd.Well worth a watch for indy/splatter fans.
    7/10

Nekromantik 2
    Jorg Buttgereit's original Nekromantik is one of the best German horror movies ever made.As disgusting as it is amusing,its a dark trip into the recesses of a necrophiliac.I was expecting something even more sick and nasty from the sequel but was left sadly unsatisfied.The pacing of this movie is all wrong,virtually nothing happens on screen for large portions of it and what does happen,while pretty rank,lacks the punch of the original.Far too slow moving for my liking although it does somewhat redeem itself with the closing scene,this one is for those that want to see something totally off the wall,my advice would be go with the original though as both are very pricey and part 2 isnt nearly worth what I paid for it.
    5/10

Hellraiser:Bloodline
    The 4th installment in the Hellraiser series is a rather hit and miss affair.The basic premis is that an ancestor of the puzzle box creator wants to destroy the box and close the gateway once and for all.The movie details the making of the box but doesnt give any indication as to why it was or became a gateway to hell which annoyed me a little.Not a whole lot of gore but what is in it is pretty cool and there are a couple of nice new cenobites.While not near the quality of the first 2 this is still an ok film that fans of the series would prolly enjoy.
    6/10

Tokyo Gore Police
    Ive seen some mad movies in my time - Tetsuo,Full Metal Yakuza,Braindead.This movie tops anything Ive seen and the best way to describe it is as a hybrid of the 3 movies mentioned above.It is bonkers.Basic story is about a special cop hunting "engineers" - genetically modified super criminals that grow weapons when they suffer a bad injury eg a chainsaw in place of a decapitated arm.This is an end to end gore fest,totally cheesey but wildly enjoyable with some real LOL moments especially the police recruitment ads that are interspersed throughout the movie.Get a 6 pack and a pizza and watch this movie!
    8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Good thread, keep it up.

• Advertisement

Hellraiser:Inferno
    Part 5 of the series(I got this and part 4 in a boxset on ebay for 4 quid) and going on the diminishing quality of the series I was not expecting a whole helluva lot from this,boy was I wrong.I really really liked this movie.The plot revolves around a cop that finds the puzzle box at a murder scene and solves it,or does he?This is a very clever entry into the series and alot of it had me second guessing what was happening and I loved the ending.

I dont want to say too much about it because to do so would spoil it but I highly recommend it.On the basis of this movie alone,I intend sourcing the rest of the sequels very soon.
    8/10

Candyman
    For years I held this movie in very high esteem and recently picked up the collectors edition as I felt it deserved a place in my collection but if Im honest,I was left feeling disappointed after watching it again.Its still a good movie but it just didnt jump out at me for some reason.You will all know the story now so no need for me to go into it.It has an almost gothic feel to it and while Tony Todd casts makes an elegent bad guy I was left feeling let down by it.
    6.5/10

Planet Terror
    Had heard this slated by alot of people so only picked it up recently and Im kinda pissed off I waited as long because I fookin loved this movie.It is great fun from start to finish,has some brilliant set pieces,some quality gore,a brilliantly twisted performance from Josh Brolin,a couple of real "uhhhhhh gross" moments and even Tarantinos turn in it was enjoyable.This is a definite 6 pack and pizza movie that I will have no problem watching again.
    8.5/10

Aftermath
    Nacho Cerdas 1994 short is an odd one.No plot,no dialogue,nada.Basically centers around a morgue worker with a penchant for necrophilia.The big thing for this movie is the effects work.There are some real wince inducing moments and the corpses look pretty damn life like.This definitly isnt a date movie and I wouldnt be in a rush to show it to pretty much any of my friends as it is fairly out there.Still,as a curio its worth at least one viewing for horror afficianados..
    7.5/10

Cannibal Apocalypse
    One of the later stage cannibal movies that appeared in the 70s early 80s.It centres around some Vietnam vets that contract some kind of virus that basically turns them into cannibals.They return to the States and a few months later go on a rampage and infect people,thats pretty much it.It differs from its more famous Italian cannibal flicks (Holocaust or Ferox) in that its not set in a jungle and that the cannibals arent indigenous people that have gotten the shaft from reporters or white men in general.The acting is what I expected,hammy with lots of tortured looking gurning,the music sounds like it was rejected from the Warriors soundtrack.As for the gore,there isnt that much in it but what is in it is ok - some nice flesh ripping and a cool eye gouging.Oh,and it stars John Saxon.

Id never seen this up until today and picked it up on ebay for 3 or 4 quid so am not too disappointed that it was a bit crappy.It had been on my to see list for a long time so at least its out of the way.
    5/10

• Advertisement

The Abandoned
    I loved this movie.One first glance its a standard haunted house/ghost story but its done with such style that it raises it well above the standard genre fare.Basic premise is about an adopted woman that returns to her childhood home and discovers some dark secrets from her past.To say any more would likely ruin it so I will stop there.Stylistically I would liken it to the Orphanage or Ringu.It has a couple of real jump out of the seat moments and the overall sense of dread and forboding in the film is what really did it for me.

8/10

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
    I first heard about this about two years ago and was very keen to see it,the problem is,it has never actually been released on dvd.It got a run in some theatres in the States but that was about it.It cropped up every now and again over the last few years on some different sites but then disappeared.Today however I managed to finally find,download and view it.

First and foremost,Im a big fan of underground and indy horror and rarely download these types of movies but in this case I had no choice.I will most definitly buy it if and when it gets an official release.

The premise of the movie is that its a documentary about a serial killer that was operating in the small area of Poughkeepsie in central US.The movie consists of "interviews" with police,FBI agents,family members of victims and it is interspersed with video clips of the killer in action,the tapes from the movie title.While alot of the violence is unfocused upon there are still a few pretty hard to watch scenes.What impressed me most about this movie was the performances.They are the best Ive ever seen in any indy horror by a long way and the actress that plays Cheryl was outstanding.From the cops or agents talking about the case to the family members grief at their loss,the whole thing feels ultra realistic which for an obviously low budget movie really should be commended.

This is an excellent little sleeper that I hope gets the release it deserves sometime soon because it really should be seen by alot more people than have seen it.
    9/10

City Of The Living Dead
    Good old Lucio Fulci,with all his movies you pretty much know exactly what you are going to get.Hammy acting,similar soundtracks and lashings of gore so for COTLD he didnt deviate from his basic formula.Story centres around a priest that kills himself and his suicide causes the dead to reawaken,no explanation as to why,it just happens.This isnt a zombie movie in the vein of say Zombie Flesh Eaters or House By The Cemetary,there is a supernatural feel to the film.Of course Fulci stalwart,the lovely Catriona MacColl plays the heroine and there are also some other recognisible Fulci regulars on show too.

One of Fulci's trademarks was his penchant for blood letting and COTLD doesnt disappoint on that front either with some excellent deaths in it including one person vomiting out their intestines and another getting a huge drill through the head as well as the usual flesh chomping delights.

Not his best work (thats either The Beyond or New York Ripper for me) but certainly worth watching for fans of Italian splatter or zombie movies in general.

As an FYI this recently got a remastering and rebooting and is available in HMV in a lovely looking 2 disc set priced about 14 bucks.The version I watched was the widescreen collectors release from EC Entertainment and was fully uncut so if anyone is going to pick up the new release,do check that it is uncut before buying.
    7.5/10

Masters Of Horror : Cigarette Burns.
    John Carpenters contribution to season 1 of MOH is simply put,brilliant.Its the story of an avid movie collector that hires a theatre owner to find a print of a fabled movie.But its much more than that.As the theatre owner begins his search he starts having strange visions and nightmares coupled with blackouts.To say much more would spoil it but I cant recommend it highly enough.Excellent pacing,good performances,some nice gore effects and a real sense of WTF in a couple of scenes,its an outstanding short that hooks the viewer from the out set.Carpenter is a horror God.
    9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Nice thread Ned. I've only ever seen the Miike episode of Masters Of Horror and it tapped into the nastiness from Audition and I found it just as hard to watch. I'll defo check out Cigarette Burns though and maybe delve into some more MOH in general.

Keep an eye on ebay,I managed to pick up the complete first series for about 25 eurons used a few weeks ago.They are still very pricey in HMV/Tower.

sendit.com have each volume at 10 euro each, meaning that both seasons will cost you 40 euro.

I take it they are reliable Darko?
    Have been looking for season 2.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I take it they are reliable Darko?
    Have been looking for season 2.

As reliable as they come, I've order off them quite a bit, it's replaced play for me.

Masters of Horror : Dreams in The Witch House
    Story centres around a student that rents a room in a run down building and begins suffering from weird dreams and visions surrounding witches and sacrifices.Great fun,nice pacing and some nice gore.
    7.5/10

Masters Of Horror : Incident on and Off a Mountain Road
    Don "Phantasm" Coscarellis MOH effort is a very enjoyable little outing.Centres around a woman that gets involved in a car crash and gets chased by a deformed madman.Partly told in flash back this great fun.Its pretty implausible but that doesnt matter,its zips along nicely and is good throwaway fun.Its worth viewing alone for a fantastic,scene stealing turn from long time Coscarelli contributor Angus Scrimm.
    8.5/10

• Advertisement

Masters of Horror : Chocolate
    Weakest entry thus far in the MOH series.Story centres around a man that begins having visions/hallucinations of being a woman and he sets off on his quest to find her.I was pretty bored with this one,no real gore,slow pacing and not very interesting despite having an interesting premise.
    5/10

Frontier(s)
    Part of the new wave of French horror cinema I went into this pretty much blind.While its enjoyable enough we have seen the plot all before.Basic story is about a group of French youths that hole up in a remote farm house after a robbery goes awry.Unfortunatly the farmhouse is occupied by a nazi cannibal and his twisted offspring.This movie has a real Texas Chainsaw Massacre feel to it but where TCM excelled in ramping up the tension Frontier(s) falls sadly flat.There is some nice gore in it and is pretty brutal in places but it lacks the pure WTF factor of Martyrs or the roller coaster switch the brain off pace of Switchblade Romance.Overall it wasnt a bad movie at all,I was just left wanting more.
    6.5/10

The Beyond
    My second favourite Fulci movie may have aged badly in a few respects but is still a thoroughly enjoyable gore fest.The story centres around a young woman that inherits a run down hotel in Louisiana which was the scene of a terrible murder years before.Nearly as soon as she arrives strange things begin happening and people start dying left right and centre.This movie is frequently cited as being a zombie movie which I dont really agree with.Yes,there are zombies in it but much like City of the Living Dead,this movie has a more supernatural feel to it rather than a straight up zombie movie like Zombie Flesh Eaters.The effects in this,barring one scene are still a joy to behold,faces get melted,throats get ripped out,eye balls get gouged all with great gusto.The dubbing is pretty crappy in places but aside from that I would highly recommend this to any horror fan.
    8.5/10

Masters of Horror:Sick Girl
    The story centres around an unlucky in love female entemologist that meets a girl and begins to fall in love.The entemologist receives a mysterious package from Brazil with a very strange insect inside,the likes of which she has never encountered.The insect escapes and the fun begins.The MOH entry was great fun from start to finish,great acting,a nice tight script and some decent effects in it.Well worth watching.7/10

The Wicker Man(73) Directors Cut
    Most nay all of you will know this movie so there no need to explain the plot.The one thing that struck me on this viewing was just how outstanding Woodwards central performance was.He plays the sexually repressed,deeply religous police man to perfection,even up to the closing credits where he prays for his salvation,it really sent shivers down my spine.This is simply a wonderful example of horror that breaks away from the genre trappings ie gore or cheap attempted scares.Christopher Lee is also superbly menacing as the icy Lord Summerisle.The directors cut features a number of extended or previously deleted scenes,some of which add to the overall movie however they are obviously inserted and dont meld in with the original finished product properly.This is however the only criticism of this classic British movie.
    10/10

Chaos
    A blatant Last House on the Left rip off,this is a terrible movie.Piss poor acting,lead actresses devoid of any emotion,poorly executed gore and a frankly preposterous ending make this one of the worst plagarisms Ive ever had the misfortune to watch.Sofaking crappy I can hardly fathom it.
    2/10

It was originally a remake of Last House and was to be titled as such until during production when the producers decided to rename the film. David Hess was even cast in one of the main roles at one stage. I have a poster of the film somewhere in which it's titled Last House on the Left, must see if I can find it.

All Masters of Horror entries.

Deer Woman
    Story centres around a Native American legend in which a half deer half woman creatures kills amorous men.Started off promising but peetered out towards then end.
    5/10

Homecoming
    Wasnt a fan of this at all,yes,its a decent commentary on the US and their wars through the ages but for me it lacked any real structure and focus.
    4/10

Jenifer
    Argentos first foray into the MOH series is a fairly enjoyable piece.It centres on a cop that saves a badly deformed girl from being murdered and moves her into his house but Jenifer is not what she seems.Decent make up and a pretty unpleasent tone throughout make this worth a watch.
    7.5/10

Dance of the Dead
    Set in a post apocalyptic world this centres around a young girl that falls for a Mad Max type bad boy.Some really great sets raise the bar in this one although I would have preferred some kind of explanation as to what happened to cause the war and the germ warfare that was used.Robert Englund hams it up gleefully as MC of the "Doom Room".
    7/10

Masters of Horror : Imprint
    Takashi Miikes entry into the MOH arena is a worthy effort.The story centres around a man that is searching for the love of his life in ancient Japan and follows her trail to a remote island where he meets a deformed prostitute.At first the prostitute appears to be genuine but as things progress more and more is revealed about her.This is similar to some of Miikes movies in that its chock full of shocks,torture and violence against women and there are some genuinely cringeworthy moments(in a good way)Definitly one of the best of the series.
    8/10

The X-Files : Home
    I got the x-files boxset a while ago and am currently on season 4 where I came across this forgotten gem.It centres around an in-bred family in rural America and the lenghts they will go to to survive.This is an exceptional episode of this show,pretty violent compared to most other episodes and it tackles an extremely taboo subject very well.
    9/10

An American Haunting
    Alleged horror set in the early 19th century about a man that gets cursed and then his daughter starts suffering seemingly supernatural attacks.This is such a crap movie I cant even describe it.Plot holes that you could drive an 18 wheeler through,terrible CGI,obvious attempts to scare the audience,everything about this sucks.The worst "horror" Ive seen in years.
    0/10

The Gateway Meat.
    Low budget indy horror from the States that centres around a man that inherits his satanist fathers house and tries to open a portal to hell using torture and human sacrifice.This is a very violent movie that isnt for everyone.For the budget the effects are top notch in places,there is some really nasty scenes in it that are genuinly cringe inducing.While not on a par with other indy horrors like Fetus or August Underground,this is still an enjoyable slice of extreme cinema.
    7.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Masters of Horror : Dreams in The Witch House
    Story centres around a student that rents a room in a run down building and begins suffering from weird dreams and visions surrounding witches and sacrifices.Great fun,nice pacing and some nice gore.
    7.5/10

Masters Of Horror : Incident on and Off a Mountain Road
    Don "Phantasm" Coscarellis MOH effort is a very enjoyable little outing.Centres around a woman that gets involved in a car crash and gets chased by a deformed madman.Partly told in flash back this great fun.Its pretty implausible but that doesnt matter,its zips along nicely and is good throwaway fun.Its worth viewing alone for a fantastic,scene stealing turn from long time Coscarelli contributor Angus Scrimm.
    8.5/10

Incidend off a mountain road is brilliant.

I really enjoyed epidsode 1 of Fear itself quit a lot. Wasn't a bad show.

• Advertisement

House Of The Devil
    Picked this up in HMV for a fiver on the sterling reviews it received from Darko and a couple of other posters on here.While I enjoyed it I was a little bit disappointed.Plus points were the cinematography,the acting was pretty solid and there were some nice creepy moments.Negatives relate to the pacing,I felt it dragged a bit around the 40 minute mark.I also didnt like the ending all that much
    Sam got out of the ropes far,far too easily,it was pretty silly,also,she shot herself in the head.I know about suspension of belief but she put the gun to the side of her head and blood/brains visibly exploded from the other side.This just doesnt work for me.Maybe if the gun had been pointed upwards but the way it was annoyed me.

Im probably nit picking a bit and West is a talented guy but this one just let me down somewhat.
    6.5/10

Masters of Horror - Pick Me Up
    Enjoyable enough entry with Fairuza Balk playing a traveller that gets caught between 2 serial killers,both of whom want to do bad things to her.Good fun although highly implausible,some decent kills and a really good performances from the 2 killers.
    7/10

Masters of Horror - The Fair Haired Child
    Story centres around a young girl that gets kidnapped and is thrown into a cellar with a seemingly mute adolescent boy.As the plot develops we discover that the girl was kidnapped by a middle aged couple whose child had drowned years earlier and they made a pact with the devil to re-incarnate him.No real gore to talk about but there is a nice sense of dread throughout and a few creepy moments.One of the few MOH episodes that has a "happy" ending.
    7/10

Masters of Horror - Haeckles Tale
    Last episode of season 1 is about a young surgeon in what appear to be Victorian times and his obsession with re-incarnation and life after death.On the way to visit his sick father he takes refuge in a house with an old man and his beautiful young wife.He awakes in the middle of the night to strange noises and howls and upon investigating he makes a shocking discovery.
    Adapted from a Clive Barker short this is an enjoyable entry,some nice enough gore and a good little screenplay.I loved the ending too.
    7.5/10

Overall I found Season 1 of MOH pretty good,a few crappy enough episodes but the sheer awesomeness of Cigarette Burns makes up for any shortcomings.

Reckon Im going to catch up on some movies Ive picked up over the last months before I tackle Season 2.

Masters of Horror - Pelts
    First episode of season 2 is good fun.It centres around a fur trader (Meatloaf) who gets some racoon pelts from a poacher (John Saxon) which appear to have some kind of magical powers and causes people that come in contact with them to go quite mad.While this doesnt pack the punch of Cigarette Burns its by far the goriest MOH episode thus far.In the 50 odd minutes run time we are treated to self evisceration,self flagellation,self stitching of eyes,nose and mouth shut as well as a nice face in a bear trap scene.Overall enjoyable gory goodness.
    7.5/10

La Horde
    Thoroughly enjoyable French zombie movie.It centres around a group of people that go to a derelict building to eliminate some immigrant gangsters.Things take a turn for the worse when corpses start re-animating and attacking the cast forcing the survivors to band together and try and escape.This moves along at a brisk pace,has some nice gore and decent acting.It reminded me of Left 4 Dead which is no bad thing IMO.
    8/10

Splice
    Dire sci fi horror effort with Adrien Brody.Its about a scientist that splices her dna with that of a genetically created creature,creating a human hybrid.Crap effects,crap acting,crap story,this movie sucked from start to finish.
    2/10

All Masters of Horror Season 2 Episodes
    Pro-Life
    Ron Perlman stars as a fanatical anti-abortionist that attacks an abortion clinic to get his daughter out.Nice gore,and Perlman is as watchable as always.
    7/10

Family
    George (Norm from Cheers) Wendt stars in this wonderfully twisted tale of a lonely man that keeps skeletons of people he has killed as his family.He befriends his new neighbours but they are not what they appear to be.I loved this episode.Virtually no gore or violence but its a great story and has a wonderfully macabre ending.Best of Season 2 thus far.
    9/10

Right to Die
    A woman gets severly burned at the story is about her husbands efforts to let her die,then his efforts to keep her alive.Nice story and some cool effects in this one.
    7/10

The Scerewfly Solution
    This is about men all over the world that start murdering women for no apparant reason.Very intersting premise let down by a frankly silly ending.Some nice gory touches in it though.
    5/10

• Advertisement

A Serbian Film
    Finally sat down and watched this last night and I suppose the burning question is does it live up to the hype?Sadly for me,no,it doesnt.Simple story about a retired porn star that gets an offer he cant refuse to make some "art" porn movies by the strange Vukimir.Milos (main character) is not told what type of films will be shot and is told to just arrive and give his natural reaction.The movies turn out to be incresingly nasty,mysoginistic and violent.When Milos balks at doing anything too extreme Vukimir shows him another movie he made,thats when things get really bad.

This movie is designed to shock,pure and simple.The scene of
    "newborn porn" while undoubtably distasteful,doesnt garner any sympathy from the viewer(well,me anyway) mailny because the mother is lying there after giving birth and smiling while a man rapes her baby.She was obviously a willing participant but IMO it would have been a much more shocking scene if her reaction was like it should have been.

The scenes of violence are very,very well done with some brilliant effects work so for that the movie deserves props but over all it didnt pack the punch of other underground shock movies eg Mordum,or the unrelenting desperation of something like Martyrs.The movies ending could also be seen coming a mile off,something that isnt the case with the 2 mentioned above.

Average movie that is more hype than trousers.

6/10

The Company of Wolves
    Enjoyable adult twist on the Little Red Riding Hood story.Some really good effects/transformation work,creepy moments and a menacing turn from Stephen Rea make this well worth tracking down.
    7.5/10

The Exorcist
    No intro needed at this stage.I really like this movie.Jason Millers performance as the tortured Fr Karras being a particular highlight.
    8/10

Exorcist 2 : The Heretic
    Really didnt like this movie.A piss poor story centring on hypnosis/regression and no tension or anything noteworthy.I must say though,Linda Blair is cute as a button in it.
    4/10

The Exorcist 3
    First time I ever sat and watched this in its entirety and Im glad I finally did as I very much enjoyed it.I dont view it as a true sequel as its more of a serial killer with a supernatural twist movie but that doesnt really matter.The movie moves along briskly,there are some cool creepy movies and it doesnt try and rely on gore to ramp up the tension.Brad Dourif's turn is exceptional as The Gemini Killer.For those that havnt seen the trilogy,skip part 2 and jump straight to this one.
    8/10

Jason Goes To Hell

Part 9 of the franchise is a pleasent surprise.Parts 7 and 8 are dire but this puts a new slant on proceedings.Some really nice gorey effects coupled with some quality kills make this a pretty fun outing,just leave the brain in neutral.
    6.5/10

Maniac Cop
    Bill Lustigs early 80s slasher is a passable enough effort.Not all that violent particularly when measured against his more famous effort Maniac,its a formulaic enough movie about a vengeful cop killing every one and anyone.
    5/10

House on the Edge of the Park.
    Legendary Cannibal Holocaust director Ruggero Deodatas entry into the rape/revenge genre is passable enough.The story centres around Alex (David Hess) and his dim witted sidekick Ricky who invite themselves to a snobby party and proceed to rape,brutalize and generally act the maggot with the guests.The similarities with Last House on the Left are obvious,Hess more or less plagarises his performance as Krug but where Krug was a genuinely unlikeable and disturbing character,Alex comes across as almost cartoonesque.The Vipco and subsequent UK releases are shorn of around 11 minutes of the movie,mostly involving the rapes scenes.While somewhat graphic Id imagine that the main stumbling block is that the victims end up enjoying themselves and submit to the duo.We all know that the BBFC frowns upon this type of thing.Overall its a watchable enough grindhouse flick,just dont expect anything new.Also,if you feel the urge to get it,do go for the uncut version.I picked up the release from EC Entertainment a few years ago on ebay for a relatively small amount.
    5.5/10

Masters of Horror : The Black Cat
    Stuart Gordons effort is pretty poor all in all.It centres on a struggling author by the name of Edgar Allen Poe and his attempts to write while dealing with his alcoholism and his wife's TB.Told in alot of dream sequences this is a bit of a mess from start to finish.Jeffery Combs as Poe is as watchable as ever though.
    4/10

Masters of Horror : Valerie on the Stairs.
    The story revolves around a young author trying to write a book.He moves into a guest house with other struggling writers and begins havign visions of a young woman but as the visions become more lucid,the truth is revealed.
    Not a bad effort,some nice kills but it has a bit of a silly ending.
    6/10

• Advertisement

Sella Turcica
    Hot off the presses this is Toetag Pictures latest work.The story centres around Brad,a US army sergeant that gets injured on duty and ends up paralysed from the waist down.Brad gets sent home with no recollection of how he got injured.His condition quickly worsens and his body begins oozing a viscous black goo from every orifice.To say anymore would pretty much spoil the movie so I will stop there.

This is a big departure for the Toetag crew.Its well documented that Im a Toetag fanboy but I have to say I genuinely enjoyed this and it is IMO,their best work since The Redsin Tower.Those expecting a sick film are going to be disappointed.This is much more charector driven and is a slow burn that teases the audience with whats to come.Personally speaking Im glad to see they are moving away from the faux snuff genre,there is only so much mileage those types of movies can give and this is by far their most accomplished and polished work.Their stature is growing as movie makers,the fact they managed to get Camille (I Spit on your Grave) Keaton and Jade (Murder Set Pieces) Risser in 2 central roles is testament to this.

A special mention has to go to the effects work of Jerami Cruise.This film showcases his vast talent and the work is definitly the best he has come up with thus far,for the limited budget it is scary how realistic and effective the work is,all of which is made by him.

As expected the acting is a bit ham and cheesey with the exception of Damien Maruscak as Brad,he plays the role very well.

All in all this is a very enjoyable independent horror movie that really deserves to be seen by more people than it probably will be.

8/10

I watched the original Omen Trilogy over the last week or so and I really liked all 3.Anything with creepy kids is usually decent for myself and the first 2 are no different,the score,particularly in the first one is exceptional.The ending of part 3 was a big let down and the series wnded with a whimper rather than a bang however there is a cool shotgun to the head scene that eased the pain.

Over all 3 consistently good flicks.

8/10

The Collector.
    Pretty much in the same clone as the Saw franchise this is a predictible home invasion horror saved from total medioctity by some rather nice gore effects.

Centres on a guy that breaks into a supposedly empty house to steal a rare gem only to find (shock horror) that there is a mad man there torturing the inhabitants.

Ridiculous booby traps abound(although there is a cool scene with some acidy stuff),dodgy acting and retarded cast members make this a passable beer and a pizza film.I expect to see a sequel been made before too long.

5.5/10 if only for the gore.

Ghost Ship

Gabriel Byrne stars in this as a salvager that gets information about a ship at sea so him and his crew set off to investigate.

This movie is rubbish.Dire special effects (mostly piss poor CGI),dire acting,dire dialogue,devoid of tension/scares,everything is rubbish.Avoid.

2/10

Carrie
    Brian De Palma's adaptation of the Stephen King novel is one of the best King transfers there is.Sissy Spacek excells as the alienated and bullied teenager with psychic powered.Piper Laurie is also excellent as her bible bashing mother.Bit of trivia that Nancy Allen who is the lead female bully in the film plays Robocops partner Officer Lewis.
    8/10

Rec 2

This sequel takes place 20 minutes after the first movie ends and follows a SWAT team and an environmental officer as they enter the building to try and find out what happened.

Id heard this described as Aliens is to Alien and thats a pretty good description.More "zombies",much quicker paced and much more enjoyable imo that Rec.Decent action,some nice kills,some genuinely creepy and jumpy scenes make this as good a horror sequel as you are likely to see.Ive heard alot of people slating the cause of the outbreak and while its a bit silly its something new and different which I can appreciate.

All in all an enjoyable 80 minutes viewing.

8/10

I Spit On Your Grave (2010)
    As some of you know,I abhor remakes.They are generally of movies I would regard as being genre classics so it causes me no small amount of annoyance.

Not such this one though as I really dont like the original ISOYG.

Story is about a pretty young author that goes to a remote cabin in the woods to work on a novel but falls foul of the cliched "back woods" folk - beer swilling,working in a garage and with a mentally retarded side kick.

The original ISOYG is a poorly shot rape revenge movie,the remake is a glossily shot rape revenge movie,both of them equally worthless.

Thankfully the rape scene isnt overly graphic and most happens off screen.The kills,while kinda inventive are horribly convoluted and would fit seemlessly into a Saw movie.

All in all,a waste of over 100 minutes.

Avoid.

3/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

Thanks for that.. the whole idea of the remake to isoyg is horrific..same as last house. These movies were cheap and nasty. Glossy remakes really ruin that sleaze factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I actually hated the original ISOYG but had heard (surprisingly) good things about the remake. Have no real interest in seeing it but the good reviews came from a fellow with very similar taste to myself.

Martyrs
    Watched it today for the first time in about 2 years.While it lacks the punch it gave me on first viewing (because I knew what was going to happen) this is still an exceptional horror movie.Brutal violence and its really edge of your seat stuff.I urge anyone that hasnt seen it to track it down.
    9/10

The Descent
    Ive often wondered why so many people cite this as being a brilliant horror movie.I wasnt gone on it when I watched it first and I wasnt gone on it when I watched it the other night.There is some nice gore in it but for me its devoid of any tension and was a let down.
    5.5/10

Black Devil Doll
    Story about a 60s black militant turned serial killer who gets executed for his crimes but ends up having his spirit transported into a puppet,becoming the black devil doll.
    This is pure cheese from start to finish.Rubbish acting,ropey effects but at the same time its strangely enjoyable.Lots of gratuitous nudity too.At about 75 minutes long it doesnt outstay its welcome and is actually pretty funny in places too.
    6.5/10

• Advertisement
Advertisement