Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found a Lizard in my box!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Only coz if we look down at you, we're afraid of bursting out laughing. :D

I don't know what you're suggesting :o
    Kiera wrote: »
    Sleepy sex ftw!

lmfao! You should post this post ^^^^ in the thread where the dumped girl wants to be cheered up :D

Might just send her my 'little' pic, that'd cheer her up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Might just send her my 'little' pic, that'd cheer her up :D
    It did for me :P

*sings, i'm your tiny dancer*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Coooool, you setting it free or have a new pet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

This thread isn't as I anticipated it from the title. Godammit, must my fevered expectations always be dashed?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I found a snake in my box a few times ;)

Duuuuurty!!!
    m@cc@ wrote: »
    Date rape?

It's not as bad as I thought it would be, surprisingly enough.

OP, I used to find these things close to ponds, in cracks in walls and the likes. Cute little things. I haven't seen one in a very very long time though. As a kid, I wasn't sure what they were so I killed them. That's one thing I regret doing in my life. Poor creatures :( They're in little newt heaven now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

She turned my into a newt!!!

It got better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Coooool, you setting it free or have a new pet?

Well, he's lucky to still be alive - I showed him to the cat, he sniffed it & went for it teeth first!

So after a lucky escape, I read on the web that they like to eat worms, so I put him in the vegetable plot - there's plenty of them in there for him to chow on.

Any suggestions for a name for my new friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Well, he's lucky to still be alive - I showed him to the cat, he sniffed it & went for it teeth first!

So after a lucky escape, I read on the web that they like to eat worms, so I put him in the vegetable plot - there's plenty of them in there for him to chow on.

Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Isaac.

Wait, did you say he was a newt? Not as funny otherwise.

Anyway, what makes you think he doesn't already have a name?? Bloody presumptuous humans...

I might just call him Eddie. Eddie Lizard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Call him Dick.
    Seen as you found him in your box like :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I might just call him Eddie. Eddie Lizard.

Pete after OutlawPete! Cos my friend had a lizard named Petey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I saw one on Bray head... it was on a log.

then it ran away.
    That is all.

Carry on with you're box related comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I think this lizard is the only native land reptile in Ireland! you see them in wicklow a good bit especially around the start of june cooling down on rocks. You can make frogs aplenty stop by if you have a pond, I wonder is there any decent way of attracting lizards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

This kind of lizard likes to visit our house several times a week. They're cute little guys, but if I see them I like to take them back outside. I just think they're happier there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's a Lacerta Vivipara, native to this country and a protected species. The one in your photo looks like it has a re-grown tail. They shed the tail very easily. Especially when attacked by a predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Nope - it's a lizard. I googled it & apparently the Wildlife Trust are doing surveys on lizard sightings across the country. It seems that they like bogland, which would explain him being in my garden as the soil is always wet.

My mum saw two huge ones near a bog in Kerry, couldn't believe how big they were.

I have seen a small one which almost looked tropical on a beach in Kerry too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OP, I used to find these things close to ponds, in cracks in walls and the likes. Cute little things. I haven't seen one in a very very long time though. As a kid, I wasn't sure what they were so I killed them.

You newtralised them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I caught a few of these as a kid (newts) used to keep them in a bucket for a few days but then they'd die :( gave up after that! some of them had crests all the way down their backs and others hadnt, assume they were males and females rather than different species of newts, or else I stuck a lizard in the bucket of water and it drownded :D !?

speaking of sleepy sex... nice way to wake up at 4am :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I found a snake in my box a few times ;)

Again with the black mamba. You really like to talk about it. You should bring it to a boards show & tell.

• Advertisement

tallus wrote: »
    It's a Lacerta Vivipara, native to this country and a protected species. The one in your photo looks like it has a re-grown tail. They shed the tail very easily. Especially when attacked by a predator.

The cat probably chewed it off! Cheers for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I thought this thread featured trouser snakes.

For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

back on topic these little guys-or something very similar like to crawl under my kitchen door

i live in a marshy bog area but must admit having a near fit when i saw the first one...

are they newts or lizards?tried to search a few months ago re lizards but came up with nothing so newts was my decision.

so glad im not the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I named my daughter's newt, that she keeps in a tank, Isaac. I tried to quote a previous post, but it didn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

asomeday wrote: »
    back on topic these little guys-or something very similar like to crawl under my kitchen door

i live in a marshy bog area but must admit having a near fit when i saw the first one...

are they newts or lizards?tried to search a few months ago re lizards but came up with nothing so newts was my decision.

so glad im not the only one!

I think they are newts, but I cannot be 100% on that. Grandad is one of those people who know everything about wildlife and flora, and told me what it was when I found them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

I've seen some lizards around the edge of the lighthouse at the Old Head of Kinsale.

Always in the same area... but they could be more abundant.
    I've only been out there maybe 5 times in the last 5 years but I've looked for and seen the lizards every time.

On a side note; I like the "my newt" joke.

Why are so many people attacking it?

The simple puns are the best

Advertisement