Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private early scan - What to expect

Options
  • 28-04-2010 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi There,

I have an early scan booked with a place in Blackrock on Tuesday, I think I'm about 7 weeks maybe a little over.

Anyone here been for one of these and what can I expect, is there any sort of a medical exam or consultation before it or do they just scan you and show you what's going on?

Also do they give you a picture, I know there probably much to see at just 7/8 weeks but we'd still like a keepsake for our €145.00 (touch wood all going well of course) :o

Also would they object to you filming it on your phone?

Any other little bits of info that we might find useful will be more than appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hi Hope27 and congratulations

i had an early scan done at 9 weeks but it was public.. i got a picture:D it's mostly to check dates and the heartbeat. and that's about all. you don't have a placenta yet just a yolk sack where the placenta will develop but they'll show you all this and explain it...i'm not sure about the phone but i don't think they'll object, my brother took stills on his phone and sent them to all of us
    i only had it done this early cos at 35 i was considered an older mum..:eek: needless to say i was disgusted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

Hi Hope27, my wife & I had a scan at around 7 weeks. It turned out from the measurements we were 7w5d & we got to hear the heart beat :) We also got a couple of pictures.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We got pictures but weren't allowed to use the phone to record it. It was mostly just in, scan, saw a heartbeat, few pics printed and out. There's not much to look at that early on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hope27

Thanks guys :)
    We got pictures but weren't allowed to use the phone to record it. It was mostly just in, scan, saw a heartbeat, few pics printed and out. There's not much to look at that early on. smile.gif

Khannie was yours a private scan or with the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I got a scan in the same place in Blackrock (ultrasound dimensions on the main street?)

The lady there was so lovely, answered all questions, explained everything.

She gave us lots of pictures, and a video on disk, so filming may not be needed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have to agree with LadyE - Monica at Ultrasound Dimensions is sensational. The place is very plush - more like a day spa reception than a clinic - and they do a very thorough scan. I had a 12 week scan there and Monica spent a lot of time on the scan, showed us everything we wanted to see, patiently answered questions, printed off some photos (on photo paper, not normal paper) and gave us a CD with more photos and two snaps of video (of an embarrassing dancing baby - no sense of rhythm, poor kid). It was a lot longer than anything I ever had at the hospital. I don't know what she'd say about recording it yourself - personally, I think you'd miss too much of the experience if you were focussing on recording it.

Also, I'm not sure how much you will really see at 7 weeks - probably just the heartbeat. Is there a reason you're going in for a scan so early? If not, for the €145, I'd probably wait till 12 weeks (and combine it with the NT test), cause at least then you really see a little baby on the screen and it's very exciting.

Best of luck with it - and congrats on your pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations on the pregnancy

We had an early scan at 7 weeks and my husband used his phone just to do a sound recording of the heartbeat. There wasn't really much to be seen!

We had a scan then at 11 weeks and we were given a little video and the pictures on a disc, but I think that was because her printer wasn't working. Ask in there anyway, as the previous posters have said, Monica is fab and very accommodating, I'm sure she'll put a little something on a disc if you ask :)

Is there a reason you're going in for a scan so early? .

I had a missed miscarriage last year, I went to 10 weeks and it had stopped growing at 5 weeks, so I'm super anxious this time around, I don't care how much it costs tbh I just want some reasssurance as early as I can get it..

Thanks everyone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Hi Hope
    I had a private scan at what i thought was 8 weeks turns out i was 7..
    You wont see much all it looks like is a tiny little egg..You should be able to see the heartbeat providing your dates are exact..:)
    Hope all goes well this time and its nice to have those little keep sakes for later on..It will be funny when you look at your 20 week scan and then back at your 7 its totally different..At our 20 weeks we could see fingers and toes :D
    Best of luck X

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

drunk_monk wrote: »
    Hi Hope27, my wife & I had a scan at around 7 weeks. It turned out from the measurements we were 7w5d & we got to hear the heart beat :) We also got a couple of pictures.

Good luck!
    Enjoy your scan - it's such an amazing thing. I can't imagine you would hear the heartbeat at this early stage - not usually audible until about 14 weeks, but you will hopefully see a little white flashing heartbeat that will now beat forever. A little miracle at work!

• Advertisement

Hope - I'm so sorry for your loss and I can totally understand your anxiety. Definitely get the scan for reassurance - but you might also like to check with the hospital, because they might arrange it for you, given your history.

I actually had the same experience in this pregnancy - I lost one of my little twins, which Monica identified for me at my Week 12 scan (lost the twin a week earlier). This is why I have so much time for her - she was incredibly kind and supportive as I spent most of the scan appointment in tears. At my hospital appointment in Week 17 I asked for another scan as I was so anxious that something had happened to my other baby, but all was well. The reassurance, though, was very necessary.

Bubbaloo - I heard the heartbeat during scans in Week 12 and Week 13 - I think that with a doppler, though, you only hear something from about week 14 onwards.

Good luck, Hope.

Sorry to hear that *prenant too* it is a horrible experience, I'm glad the rest of your pregnancy went well..

The Hospital have made an early appointment for me but they won't see me til week 10 and I just can't wait that long :/ I'm so impatient I know, but the waiting is just agonising..

I'll let you all know how I get on with the scan, only a few more days left, and counting :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Enjoy your scan - it's such an amazing thing. I can't imagine you would hear the heartbeat at this early stage - not usually audible until about 14 weeks, but you will hopefully see a little white flashing heartbeat that will now beat forever. A little miracle at work!

Hi Bubbaloo, not sure about the 14 weeks as we've been for 4 scans since our 1st at 7w5d (2 previous miscarriages so we're very nervous) and we've heard the heart beat every time, the last one was @ 13w1d :). We must be blessed to have heard it, although the speed of it is scary lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Not pregnant at the moment, so hope you don't mind me butting in, but have had a miss at 6 weeks before, so had to post.

First of all congrats Hope27, hope all goes well for you at your scan and you get to see the heartbeat. They can find the heartbeat from 7 weeks, but not always until 8 weeks, so try not to freak yourself out if it turns out you are less than 8 weeks and no heartbeat yet, yet is the operative word! There's still a really good chance you'd get to see it at 7 weeks though. If you do get to see a heartbeat, the chance of a miss goes down to less than 5%. The 14 weeks thing is about hearing the heartbeat, you can see it from 7 weeks onwards normally.

You can see scan pictures at 8 weeks at www.babyscan.ie/sample-scans/ to see what to expect. It kind of looks like a bean or a peanut :D They should also be able to tell you your due date by comparing a measurement with the date of your last period. And don't forget to have your bladder full!

Best of luck! Try to keep positive and not drive yourself mental, not too long now!

Well we had our scan last night, everything looks perfect according to Monica :D it was such an amazing experience.. We were sooo nervous as the last time I had a scan it was such a horrific experience, but seeing that little flicker on the screen just made it all worth while :D I think I may have broken some of my OH's fingers squeezing his hand lol

She gave us each a little picture, they're so clear it's amazing, I know there isn't much to see but we're so proud of our little peanut :p

Have my main scan with the Hospital in 2 weeks so hopefully (all going well) there'll be more to see then.. But I couldn't have been happier leaving the clinic, and it really is a lovely little place, I'll definately be going back for my 4D scan in a few months (Please God) :)

Oh and I'm 8 weeks and 3 days today :)

Congratulations :D

I'm glad it went well for you! Its mad how reassuring it is isn't it?

I remember my guts being in bits before our early scan as we'd had a terrible scan on the last pregnancy (went for a dating scan at 3 months and baby had stopped growing at 9 weeks) Monica was very understanding of our anxiety and didn't make us feel like fools for going for a scan so early when we knew there wouldn't be much to see. In fact, because it was so early, she invited us back 2 weeks later and scanned us again for free.

We subsequently went back at 17.5 weeks and then 28 weeks for our 4d scan.

What is your due date now?

Wow cool video :D so clear..

Yes it was definately a big reassurance but we know it's still very early days and we're very very cautious after last time so we're keeping it under our hats for a good few months to come..

I'm due on the 12th of December.. Imagine, if I went over I could easily be in Hospital over XMas :eek: :D it'll be the best Xmas present ever anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Hope27, glad to see your scan went well. I can totally understand your anxiety, this is my 1st pregnancy and no complications, but I still went for a 12 week scan for reassurance before telling anyone (well the parents knew - but besides them). I was still dead nervous before she put the probe on my belly in case there would be nothing there, or it didn't move. But the relief to see it bouncy around from the first minute was amazing. Due my 1st hospital appointment & scan in June at 18.5 weeks, its great to be able to see it again.

CCL - the 4D scan is amazing, I can't get over the foot in face and how squished it seems to be in there. I know it might seem obvious that it would, but having just seen ours at 12 weeks and all the room in the world, it was a bit strange to compare!

Hope27 - congratulations on seeing your little one! I'm glad the scan went well. So happy for you! I'm 19 weeks today and will have my big scan next Friday.... starting to feel nervous again, but also excited to hopefully find out if it's pink or blue!

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement