Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire ROOTED! (How-To Posted)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Well i've just tried the FroYo rom and to be quite honest I really didn't like it. It's not that the rom was bad, it was very speedy and quite stable but I just can't get over how ugly stock android is. It really doesn't have a scratch on Sense UI. So I guess i'm going to wait for Sense 2.2. I've gone back to a 2.1 custom rom for now.

Bluetooth has been fixed now as well and the camera works so long as you don't use autofocus so it is usable but only if you like the look of the Nexus One's UI.

Actually no idea what non-Sense looks like, so I'll give it a go.
    Tried Pays-ROM Desire Sense v1.9 (BraveSoul) to see what it was like to flash a rom, and hey, dead easy!

Pain in the ass to have to reinstall all the apps, but thank god for Astro backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

I'm getting a desire some point in the next 6 months and i'm doing my homework on it now, i've heard a lot about rooting and i'm still unsure what it's all about.. as far as i can make out it's about getting uber access to your device and installing homebrew apps.

however i've seen a lot of cases and worry about bricking the phone and tbh i cant afford to get a phone only to brick it.

Do the free homebrew apps make risking bricking it worth not paying for apps on the android market? are market apps that expensive? Are homebrew apps that worth it and are the default apps so bad?

sorry for all the questions but i'm new to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nekro Man wrote: »
    I'm getting a desire some point in the next 6 months and i'm doing my homework on it now, i've heard a lot about rooting and i'm still unsure what it's all about.. as far as i can make out it's about getting uber access to your device and installing homebrew apps.

however i've seen a lot of cases and worry about bricking the phone and tbh i cant afford to get a phone only to brick it.

Do the free homebrew apps make risking bricking it worth not paying for apps on the android market? are market apps that expensive? Are homebrew apps that worth it and are the default apps so bad?

sorry for all the questions but i'm new to this :)
    You've almost got it :p

What rooting does is give you superuser (Or root) access to your phone. What this does is it gives you lower-level access to your phone allowing you to do far more than what you can normally do such as spoofing your GSM ID (I.e. pretending that you are using a T-Mobile US sim in an Irish phone to access the American paid apps market) or to enable WiFi tethering in older versions of Android. The majority of apps run fine without root, only a certain few require root. In a sense the majority of apps on the market are homebrew. They run fine on any phone rooted or not. It also allows you to flash custom roms which is in essence just modifying the OS (A bit like modding Windows).

Bricking is now easily reversed so no need to worry about that.

Market apps are fairly cheap and the large majority are free regardless. The default apps are FAR better than anything on the market in terms of quality.

Market apps are fairly cheap and the large majority are free regardless. The default apps are FAR better than anything on the market in terms of quality.

so long story short, is there much point rooting? i mean i'm a bit of a nerd but nothing close to making my own apps or anything like that, and from what i've heard most things are available in normal apps anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nekro Man wrote: »
    so long story short, is there much point rooting? i mean i'm a bit of a nerd but nothing close to making my own apps or anything like that, and from what i've heard most things are available in normal apps anyway
    Unless you really need root, you won't have to root your phone ;)

The benefits aren't that numerous, Android is open enough as it comes out of the box.

• Advertisement

The benefits aren't that numerous, Android is open enough as it comes out of the box.

thats why i chose android over a windows OS, thanks for the help, tis quite appreciated :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Id advise a quick perusal of the sticky.

Rooting wont get you free apps, it will enable you to buy apps that are otherwise unavailalble here in ireland.

Other advantages include being able to install custom roms(again read the sticky).

The issue causing bricked phones has now been resolved and the rooting process is pretty straightforward...

Desire is a great phone though even if you dont go rooting it....

adrian522 wrote: »
    Desire is a great phone though even if you dont go rooting it....

in that case i think i'll leave it well enough alone, thanks for the friendly advice guys, very much appreciated

Advertisement