Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a toy..advice please..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Late model MX5. It'll run rings around them others for handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You'd get a very nice e46 330ci and have a big chunk of change left. In fact, you'd get a nice e46 M3 convertible for that money, but running costs and servicing won't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

For me it'd be between the merc and the porche, wouldnt be sold on convertibles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

SL would be my choice but that one is heavily overpriced. Carzone is a site for sellers-dreamers. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Whilst all the cars you have listed are nice you cannot go wrong with the MX-5 for the criteria you have listed, it ticks all the boxes

It is a fantastic car, so much fun, a joy to drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

elise and spend the change on track days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wossack wrote: »
    elise and spend the change on track days
    Spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

Thanks for the MX5 suggestions - and of course you are right in terms of handling and having spare change. I've had two of them previously and the only reason I excluded them was I want something with a bit of grunt. If the car was exclusively for twisty turny stuff, then the Mazda would be a no brainer.

Anything obvious I'm not including ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

podgee wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a toy and would like some help. Criteria is:
    - convertible - check :D
    - reasonably quick - check
    - < Eur25k - check
    - won't cost an arm and leg in the garage - check

07r6_red_4_8df5a0f4.jpg

:pac:

Anything obvious I'm not including ?

So are you excluding the Elise completely? It's a completely different animal than the MX-5 and you wont get better value for your money...

Fast
    Cheap to run
    Cheap to insure
    Cheap to tax
    Wont depreciate as fast as the other suggestions

For your budget, there's a few 111r's for sale at the moment!

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    So are you excluding the Elise completely? It's a completely different animal than the MX-5 and you wont get better value for your money...

Fast
    Cheap to run
    Cheap to insure
    Cheap to tax
    Wont depreciate as fast as the other suggestions

For your budget, there's a few 111r's for sale at the moment!

Thanks Steve - I can't disagree with any of the above, I'm just not that mad about them...

Your depreciation comment "Wont depreciate as fast as the other suggestions" - with what I suggested, do you not think the lions share of the depreciation hit has already been taken ? Interested in your opinion.

Thanks

I like the spider - VRT according to ROS would be 10.4k though. The Westfield would be the business but its the sort of car you'd use for an hour every second Sunday I think. I'd like to get a bit more use than that. The TVR...let's just say it's an acquired taste

Now the Cobra idea........that's worth considering..

Thanks

do you not think the lions share of the depreciation hit has already been taken ? Interested in your opinion.

These cars drop constantly, and will remain to do so. It doesn't matter about the year of the cars you're looking at and how much their worth compared to the new price. Look what older versions are worth - they're just as much fun with a different reg.

Boxster - you can pick up a 98 2.5 for under 8k

350z - you'll get a 2002 for 10k

Z4 -a 2003 2.4 can be got for around 11k and I recently say a 3.0 which didn't even sell at auction with the highest bid being only 9,400

SL - 600 or not, it's not worth that money and you wont be able to sell it for half that in a year or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

These cars drop constantly, and will remain to do so. It doesn't matter about the year of the cars you're looking at and how much their worth compared to the new price. Look what older versions are worth - they're just as much fun with a different reg.

Boxster - you can pick up a 98 2.5 for under 8k

350z - you'll get a 2002 for 10k

Z4 -a 2003 2.4 can be got for around 11k and I recently say a 3.0 which didn't even sell at auction with the highest bid being only 9,400

SL - 600 or not, it's not worth that money and you wont be able to sell it for half that in a year or 2
    The original 2.5 is a good way off a fresher S, but you can still pick up an S a couple of years older for less than 15k.
    The Z4 you're comparing to is a normal one, that one the OP posted says it's the M roadster. Doesn't look like one, but I haven't seen enough to judge, but if it's a genuine M Roadster then that's why it'll always be a lot dearer than a normal one. I think the M Roadster has a 3.2, so wondering why that says 2.9.
    The SL 600 is not the car to buy if you're worried about running costs!!
    I'd go for the Boxter S.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The original 2.5 is a good way off a fresher S, but you can still pick up an S a couple of years older for less than 15k.
    That was my point, I'm just pointing out the depreciation.
    that one the OP posted says it's the M roadster. Doesn't look like one, but I haven't seen enough to judge, but if it's a genuine M Roadster then that's why it'll always be a lot dearer than a normal one. I think the M Roadster has a 3.2, so wondering why that says 2.9.
    I knew what it was advertised as, but sure you can stick an M badge on anything. I'm not sure if it's real or not.

Another option:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/S2000/CABRIOLE/201013197401301/advert?channel=CARS

For that money you could get a very quick car. Personally I'd probably be looking at the M3 or Boxster S. A Z4M would be sweet but you wont get near one for 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

With that money, for me, id have an E46 M3 sitting in my drive in the morning.
    Servicing costs arent the lowest, but a car at that age, some of the stuff could be done away from main stealers.

If you'd stretch a few grand more, an ultimate car would be a lotus exige. That would be like an upgrade to your old MX5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Boxter S or M3 convertable all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

lads thats definately a z4m, and as such wins the thread ;)

you should be able to pick up a higher mileage 987 boxster for the budget aswell?

to be fair an mx5 isnt in the same company as a z4m or boxster s good and all as it is

The Z4 you're comparing to is a normal one, that one the OP posted says it's the M roadster. Doesn't look like one, but I haven't seen enough to judge, but if it's a genuine M Roadster then that's why it'll always be a lot dearer than a normal one. I think the M Roadster has a 3.2, so wondering why that says 2.9.
    The SL 600 is not the car to buy if you're worried about running costs!!
    I'd go for the Boxter S.

just to clarify its definately an m, there was apparently a mix up when it was registered in ireland (its a uk car i think) whereby it got registered as a 3.0 litre, but im not sure why it doesnt look like the z4m to you, the wheels, front bumper, skirts and quad exhausts tell the tale :)

Cyrus wrote: »
    lads thats definately a z4m, and as such wins the thread ;)

Thats a very good price for a Z4M. You would be talking 20k sterling+ before VRT (which will be around 13k euro on a 2006) if importing one.

Thats a very good price for a Z4M. You would be talking 20k sterling+ before VRT (which will be around 13k euro on a 2006) if importing one.

yep thats been the way for a while on z4s, i had a z4coupe, the 3.0si version, and mine sold for a lot less than the equivalent imported one

Cyrus wrote: »
    just to clarify its definately an m, there was apparently a mix up when it was registered in ireland (its a uk car i think) whereby it got registered as a 3.0 litre, but im not sure why it doesnt look like the z4m to you, the wheels, front bumper, skirts and quad exhausts tell the tale :)

The "mix up" sounds ominous - is it enough to steer clear ?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

P.

I can give you an example of a "mix up" that happened when registering a camper involving reg numbers, chassis numbers, engine numbers and model numbers getting mixed up....

I would say there were a lot of "mix ups" when Glanza turbos were being registered also :D!!

P.

not sure, have a read here and make your own minds up :)

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14853&highlight=maxwell

I wouldn't touch it unless the garage registered it properly. Otherwise you have issues with insurance and the VRO can come to reclaim extra VRT that wasn't paid on registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

BUY A TVR!

That is all.

Advertisement