Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adding Mass to Muscle

• 27-04-2010 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

In this time of the year many people are interested in building muscle mass, you could see the gyms begin to pack up by January and then again in the Spring/Summer season as everyone is wanting to attain that “Beach Body”. Due to this, you’ll see health and fitness center parking lots usually packed with vehicles driven by people looking for the infinite advantages of good fitness health. However, many of these people are also looking for a quick fix, and they do not realize that building muscle tissue takes incredible amounts of dedication, time and energy. The “fast food” mentality won’t work in this area, and so a person is setting up failure if they expect to “get ripped” overnight. There are also no healthy or reputable products aimed at gaining lots of muscle fast, despite what some products may claim. Yet, there are a few ways to build muscle tissue in a short amount of time and a few of these starting points are easy to apply.
    1.) Large Muscle Groups- First thing anyone should know about gaining muscle mass is that you should focus on exercising your larger muscle groups from the outset. Many beginners dedicate and waste lots of time trying to perfect smaller muscles like calves, stomach muscles, and biceps, not realizing that by building the larger muscle groups your smaller muscle groups will grow more substantially. For example, working on your chest and back will automatically push your smaller muscle groups to workout too.

2.) Select an Appropriate Weight- Another point I want to mention is being selective in the weights you choose. So if you want to build bigger muscle or bulk up you should utilize heavier weights, and stay about ten to twelve repetitions for each set. Something to take note of are professional bodybuilders, notice how any exercise with heavy weights is made up of a small amount of repetitions, so it’d be smart to adopt this technique. The reason for quicker gains with this approach is that you’re putting extra strain on each muscle area, and with more strain eventually comes larger muscle tissue over a span of time. The saying “no pain no gain” comes to mind because in order to achieve any evolution in fitness it’s mandatory to increase resistance at higher levels but in short bursts. In order to gain muscle mass in a reasonable amount of time the weight has to be right, so the ability to do greater than 15 repetitions (reps) for every set indicates that their too lightweight. On the other hand, if you cant complete a set with about 10 repetitions (reps) then the weight is too heavy. So your focus should be to find a middle ground, and this would be having a tough strain on the muscle while still being able to carry out a set with the weights; having this balance would be the correct path in building up more muscle.

3.) Take Small Breaks- With muscle building comes the (sometimes overlooked) process of muscle repair; it makes sense that to rest is to repair. Resting is an essential part of bodybuilding, and the truth is that your body responds to your prior workout sessions while resting, and therefore you develop the muscle mass at these times. Constantly pushing your muscles to the limit when exercising means that you’re “hurting” them as an advantageous result to the fact that resting will be the “recuperation” phase, the part where you make your muscles bigger and more powerful. When referring to small breaks, typically 2-3 days spread out between your muscle building program is a good idea, but you could also choose to schedule a resting day in the week. Another way of approaching this process is focusing on different muscle groups throughout your visits to the gym; whether it’s at home or not. For example, when working out your chest today your legs could be resting from the previous day of working them out.

To conclude, these are just a few of the many suggestions for beginners to learn how to build muscle the right way. Of course further research for bodybuilding should be done; especially if you want to learn about the right nutrition, water intake, and all the things that would be helpful in paving a more resourceful path. My main recommendation though is to focus on what really works; such as techniques and strategies that stand the test of time, rather than always searching for the next big thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

nicknite86 wrote: »
    In this time of the year many people are interested in building muscle mass, you could see the gyms begin to pack up by January and then again in the Spring/Summer season as everyone is wanting to attain that “Beach Body”. Due to this, you’ll see health and fitness center parking lots usually packed with vehicles driven by people looking for the infinite advantages of good fitness health. However, many of these people are also looking for a quick fix, and they do not realize that building muscle tissue takes incredible amounts of dedication, time and energy. The “fast food” mentality won’t work in this area, and so a person is setting up failure if they expect to “get ripped” overnight. There are also no healthy or reputable products aimed at gaining lots of muscle fast, despite what some products may claim. Yet, there are a few ways to build muscle tissue in a short amount of time and a few of these starting points are easy to apply.
    1.) Large Muscle Groups- First thing anyone should know about gaining muscle mass is that you should focus on exercising your larger muscle groups from the outset. Many beginners dedicate and waste lots of time trying to perfect smaller muscles like calves, stomach muscles, and biceps, not realizing that by building the larger muscle groups your smaller muscle groups will grow more substantially. For example, working on your chest and back will automatically push your smaller muscle groups to workout too.

2.) Select an Appropriate Weight- Another point I want to mention is being selective in the weights you choose. So if you want to build bigger muscle or bulk up you should utilize heavier weights, and stay about ten to twelve repetitions for each set. Something to take note of are professional bodybuilders, notice how any exercise with heavy weights is made up of a small amount of repetitions, so it’d be smart to adopt this technique. The reason for quicker gains with this approach is that you’re putting extra strain on each muscle area, and with more strain eventually comes larger muscle tissue over a span of time. The saying “no pain no gain” comes to mind because in order to achieve any evolution in fitness it’s mandatory to increase resistance at higher levels but in short bursts. In order to gain muscle mass in a reasonable amount of time the weight has to be right, so the ability to do greater than 15 repetitions (reps) for every set indicates that their too lightweight. On the other hand, if you cant complete a set with about 10 repetitions (reps) then the weight is too heavy. So your focus should be to find a middle ground, and this would be having a tough strain on the muscle while still being able to carry out a set with the weights; having this balance would be the correct path in building up more muscle.

3.) Take Small Breaks- With muscle building comes the (sometimes overlooked) process of muscle repair; it makes sense that to rest is to repair. Resting is an essential part of bodybuilding, and the truth is that your body responds to your prior workout sessions while resting, and therefore you develop the muscle mass at these times. Constantly pushing your muscles to the limit when exercising means that you’re “hurting” them as an advantageous result to the fact that resting will be the “recuperation” phase, the part where you make your muscles bigger and more powerful. When referring to small breaks, typically 2-3 days spread out between your muscle building program is a good idea, but you could also choose to schedule a resting day in the week. Another way of approaching this process is focusing on different muscle groups throughout your visits to the gym; whether it’s at home or not. For example, when working out your chest today your legs could be resting from the previous day of working them out.

To conclude, these are just a few of the many suggestions for beginners to learn how to build muscle the right way. Of course further research for bodybuilding should be done; especially if you want to learn about the right nutrition, water intake, and all the things that would be helpful in paving a more resourceful path. My main recommendation though is to focus on what really works; such as techniques and strategies that stand the test of time, rather than always searching for the next big thing.
    wow what a total revelation - thanks so much for pointing out whats done here on a daily basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Why the large text!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Think we can start ignoring this now.
    I don't know if its a bot or what, but the first thread surely raised a few eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Why are people giving him a hard time? :confused:

From what i can tell (i could be wrong), theres nothing wrong with whats posted.

Why the schtick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Because he is probably not a real person.

And all the information is available in the stickies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Because he is probably not a real person.

And all the information is available in the stickies.

:confused:

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 arsenalia

This is a reall good site that i find helpful in most cases. Heres my situation. Im skinny, short with natural abs and because of this i have been taking magnum 8000 mass builder for almost 6 months! ..i do not go 2 d gym , i rarely do rigorous exercises as i was in full time college at the time and , i must say there were a little improvement in my shape as i was having a very little increase in muscle mass. The only problem i faced was that i was gassing alot after taking the supplement which was the chocolate flavour, also after taking the supplements and doing small exercises like press up, dum bell lifting, my muscle mass would expand immediately but either reduce to a small proportion after the day or just stay the same . I was frustrated and i decided to do more rigorous exercises (home one) , still no long term increase in mass gain.

Now these supplements are finished, i have no money to get another one and my muscle mass have drastically reduced, to the extent that im always putting on longsleeves and always dreading the advent of summer because it would look silly 2 be wearing jackets when it is clearly sunny!
    Now my question is this.
    1) does supplements like magnum 8000 have long term effects as pointed out by many people on this site? or what other things can i do to increase my muscle mass faster without taking supplements as i found out that doing weight lifting actually gets u tired if you do not have any energy supplements, and what exercises can i do to improve my leg muscles? Im really skinny everywhere and this is no health condition but just a hereditory thing that runs in my family!
    2)Also i found out via my doctor that the reason why i go to toilet more faster than another person is that i have a fast metabolism. Does anyone know if this is a good or bad thing? because after consuming a specific food in 1 hour it digests almost immediately and i will have to go to the toilet the next half hour! .. this i found out was maybe one of the reasons why i dont get much body mass.. i am 23 i fell too small and skinny that people sometimes tink i am 15 before they even ask me! i would really like a change and improvemnt in my condition.
    Any one with clues or ideas on these questions? and what i can do?
    please email me on arsenalia@hotmail.com
    all responses will be appreciated . Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I think the gyms pack in January because people are feeling guilty about the amount of shíte they ate and drank over and leading up to Christmas. And Ireland and beach body aren't exactly synonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Sorry, this post is for Arsenalia.

First off, forget the protein supplements. Get your diet in order above all else. Get your protein from steak, chicken, turkey, fish and milk. Lots and lots of milk. The full fat whole milk. Read the sticky on this forum about the basics. Read it and learn it. It's the Gospel.

Second, make sure you're eating enough. What's your maintenance calorie amount? If you don't know, find out from the sticky I told you about above. Eat more than your maintenance calorie amount daily. That's the only way of putting on weight.

Third, when you're working out, concentrate on the compound/mass building exercises - squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips etc. Use free weights, preferably (imo) with a barbell. If you're not squatting and deadlifting, forget it, you're never going to get bigger. Your biggest muscles are located in your lower body. Look up beginner's programs like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

Fourth, rest. Sleep plenty and forget any and all cardio for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

arsenalia wrote: »
    This is a reall good site that i find helpful in most cases. Heres my situation. Im skinny, short with natural abs and because of this i have been taking magnum 8000 mass builder for almost 6 months! ..i do not go 2 d gym , i rarely do rigorous exercises as i was in full time college at the time and , i must say there were a little improvement in my shape as i was having a very little increase in muscle mass. The only problem i faced was that i was gassing alot after taking the supplement which was the chocolate flavour, also after taking the supplements and doing small exercises like press up, dum bell lifting, my muscle mass would expand immediately but either reduce to a small proportion after the day or just stay the same . I was frustrated and i decided to do more rigorous exercises (home one) , still no long term increase in mass gain.

Now these supplements are finished, i have no money to get another one and my muscle mass have drastically reduced, to the extent that im always putting on longsleeves and always dreading the advent of summer because it would look silly 2 be wearing jackets when it is clearly sunny!
    Now my question is this.
    1) does supplements like magnum 8000 have long term effects as pointed out by many people on this site? or what other things can i do to increase my muscle mass faster without taking supplements as i found out that doing weight lifting actually gets u tired if you do not have any energy supplements, and what exercises can i do to improve my leg muscles? Im really skinny everywhere and this is no health condition but just a hereditory thing that runs in my family!
    2)Also i found out via my doctor that the reason why i go to toilet more faster than another person is that i have a fast metabolism. Does anyone know if this is a good or bad thing? because after consuming a specific food in 1 hour it digests almost immediately and i will have to go to the toilet the next half hour! .. this i found out was maybe one of the reasons why i dont get much body mass.. i am 23 i fell too small and skinny that people sometimes tink i am 15 before they even ask me! i would really like a change and improvemnt in my condition.
    Any one with clues or ideas on these questions? and what i can do?
    please email me on arsenalia@hotmail.com
    all responses will be appreciated . Thank you! :)

You have an ectomorph body type. Look it up. fast metabolism, you can eat like a horse and rarely put on weight and also will find it hard to gain muscle. Even with dedicated exercise. As you've done almost nothing training wise then expect no results. There is no magic powder to make you big and strong. Supplements are just that, they supplement an excellent diet and exercise routine adding a helping hand. They dont do the work for you.

read about your body type and adjust your training a diet to suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

nicknite86 wrote: »
    Many of these people are also looking for a quick fix, and they do not realize that building muscle tissue takes incredible amounts of dedication, time and energy. The “fast food” mentality won’t work in this area, and so a person is setting up failure if they expect to “get ripped” overnight. There are also no healthy or reputable products aimed at gaining lots of muscle fast, despite what some products may claim.

You clearly haven't read "The 4-Hour Body".

Advertisement