Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour & IFA fight the carbon tax

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

This post has been deleted.
    I call it genuine frustration at debating with someone who quite clearly has not read up on the area. I was not being nasty - I really don't understand why you take that point of view as a little basic research would reveal the flaws in that stance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

taconnol wrote: »
    Where is your evidence that the majority of Irish people do not care about the environment? It's in a position to implement these policies because it is part of a democratically elected coalition.

Voted in by people who are now kicking themselves they ever put a tick beside a Green election candidate. Show me one person who thinks the idea of inflating petrol prices, adding carbon taxes (read stealth tax), adding 100s of euros a year to people expenses for water all in the name of trying to prevent something which has no solid scientific proof and for which no-one alive today will even be around to be affected by if it does happen, is a good one.
    That person doesn't represent the general public.Most likely he/she

a) has too much free time to worry about trees and no understanding of the real world

or

b) a tree hugger

The Greens vision of the world is that we should all be living in caves, with no lights or anything that might cause "carbon" (or that we can get entertainment from), all driving around in crappy little plastic cars which need to be charged up every half hour and can't top 60kph. Every day, we'll all emerge from our darkened carbon neutral hovels, linking hands with each other and dancing around the fields, smiling at the sun and singing with the birds.

If thats an idealogy you follow, by all means vote them back in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

DarkJager wrote: »
    Voted in by people who are now kicking themselves they ever put a tick beside a Green election candidate. Show me one person who thinks the idea of inflating petrol prices, adding carbon taxes (read stealth tax), adding 100s of euros a year to people expenses for water all in the name of trying to prevent something which has no solid scientific proof and for which no-one alive today will even be around to be affected by if it does happen, is a good one.
    Actually Green Party support is remaining constant at around 5 % of the electorate. And are you seriously saying that there is no solid scientific proof for climate change and Ireland's water pollution and supply problems? If you want to argue that you don't care about future generations that's a completely separate argument.
    a) has too much free time to worry about trees and no understanding of the real world
    On that point, are you aware of what recent monetary valuation has been put on nature's resources and services?
    b) a tree hugger
    What does that even mean? It's just a cliched insult for someone who cares about the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I don't know - who is 'you'? I know what I would like to see happen but that probably differs from what the Green Party would like.

Yee environmentalists

If you don't believe me, you might believe EirGrid

Eirgrid are a state controlled entity, no bias there no?

Ugh because coal plants and nuclear plants have different generational profiles and cannot neatly be replaced like that. Seriously - anyone with a basic understanding of the different generation options would know that.

Erm yes they can at any time in Moneypoint one of the generators would be down
    Your concern is that nuclear generators are too "large" (which is amusing considering if its too large we can sell the extra energy and/or lower the prices to boost demand)
    I pointed out that you can have Nuclear reactors of same size as current ones in Moneypoint, then you put in N+1 for redundancy in case of maintenance. For that matter there are modular reactors nowadays starting from few MW and up, which are close systems requiring little maintenances

An no need to talk down at me, You are the one looking more uninformed here,
    this is exactly what Im taking about, the Greens putting on blinkers and not willing to discuss all options available, sometimes even putting arguments against which dont do their own arguments any favours

That is incorrect. CPP is not the only baseload technology available to us

Please name the other base-load technologies available to us

such as smart grids
    Where is this smart grid you speak of? Like the whole "smart" economy hot air i would like you to point out where it is

demand levelling and interconnection.
    What inter-connector exactly? there is one "expected" online in few years (a very expensive 500MW) and its not particularly large (less 10% our peak demand)
    And then there's northern Ireland

The issues surrounding cross-pollination of GM is well recognised around scientists/researchers. As I already said, GM research is not banned.
    If they "recognise" the dangers let them deal with it themselves, theres no need for any bans from the top down.

The level of debate on here is so dismal sometimes.
    Speak for yourself

You are so blinded by your ideology that you are not willing to discuss any alternative options that might not fit in the Green Bible

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Yee environmentalists
    That is far too broad a spectrum to narrow down.
    Eirgrid are a state controlled entity, no bias there no?
    Can you point out where they are wrong in their logic?
    Erm yes they can at any time in Moneypoint one of the generators would be down
    Your concern is that nuclear generators are too "large" (which is amusing considering if its too large we can sell the extra energy and/or lower the prices to boost demand)
    I pointed out that you can have Nuclear reactors of same size as current ones in Moneypoint, then you put in N+1 for redundancy in case of maintenance. For that matter there are modular reactors nowadays starting from few MW and up, which are close systems requiring little mainteances
    You still haven't addressed the issue of how nuclear fits into Ireland's energy grid, ie how it interacts with the other types of generation.
    Please name the other base-load technologies available to us
    CCGT is the most preferable due its strong performance in dispatchability. Pumped storage exists in small quantities and can be improved.

And then you have fossil fuels. I would say that oil and even coal are much more preferable to peat. I don't think Ireland could reach 100% renewables as a closed system but work is being done on modelling such a scenario in UL and of course the European interconnected grid, together with a single European electricity market is a forseeable possibility going towards 2050.
    Where is this smart grid you speak of? Like the whole "smart" economy hot air i would like you to point out where it is
    It's a work in progress! You want me to pull one out of my hat? Of course it will require time and investment. The smart grid also involves demand management side solutions, such as smart metering. CoolPower is an Irish company involved in this area with very interesting technologies coming onstream.
    What inter-connector exactly? there is one coming online in few years and its not particularly large (less 10% our peak demand)
    Yes you're right. there are also plans for future HVDC interconnectors to France and the UK. These measures will of course take time and investment. By the way, are you aware of the standard lead-in time on a nuclear plant?
    If they "recognise" the dangers let them deal with it themselves, theres no need for any bans from the top down.
    Self-regulation in science? And as I've said about 3 times at this stage, GMO research isn't banned in Ireland!!

• Advertisement

@taconnol and other GreensYellows

your grinning hot air producing high priest Eamon Ryan on multiple occasions has dodged these questions:

* When will we get the smart grid?
    * When will we get more inter-connectors?
    * How many more decades will we continue to burn coal, oil, gas and peat; while wind takes over?
    * Why cant we use nuclear as a bridging measure in order to produce enough base load for few decades giving us time to build up the grid and wind capacity and any storage?

Please please give us a timeframe until we arrive at the Green utopia?

Actually Green Party support is remaining constant at around 5 % of the electorate. And are you seriously saying that there is no solid scientific proof for climate change and Ireland's water pollution and supply problems? If you want to argue that you don't care about future generations that's a completely separate argument.

There is no proof of climate change. Who can say in 100% certainty this isn't a natural feature of this planet, occuring once every x number of thousand/million years? Why throw massive money at trying to prevent something nature will do if nature wants to do? I wouldn't trust any mouthpiece on climate change, regardless of the title in front of their name.The last "experts" fabricated their facts and figures to make it seem more dire than it was, so why should anyone pay attention to it? And no I don't waste my time caring about what will happen the world once its game over for me.

What does that even mean? It's just a cliched insult for someone who cares about the environment.

To put in the most literal sense, a tree hugger is someone who is so militant about the environment they are oblivious to reality and everything else around them (hugging and seeing nothing but the tree)

ei.sdraob, I just refuse to debate with someone who writes such disrespectful posts. No doubt you'll post some post in response to this but to be honest, I am incredibly disappointed in the need that some posters have on here to argue their points in such a vitriolic and contemptuous way. This is the level of debate I would expect on P.ie. A shame.

Edit: Darkjaeger. For the gazillionth time, you are welcome to discuss the science of climate change in the Sustainability Forum.

Can you point out where they are wrong in their logic?

Hmm i dont know, state agencies have a tendecy to try to hold on to their fiefdoms

The IPCC recommends nuclear power, what do you have to say about that?

You still haven't addressed the issue of how nuclear fits into Ireland's energy grid, ie how it interacts with the other types of generation.
    You replace coal burning Moneypoint (~1000MW) with a Nukeplant (1000-1500MW) consisting of several reactors for maintenance,
    no need for new grid,
    provides reliable and cheap and clean base-load power for few decades while the Green companies built windmills and "smart" grid, spirit of ireland and all that

And then you have fossil fuels. I would say that oil and even coal are much more preferable to peat. I don't think Ireland could reach 100% renewables as a closed system but work is being done on modelling such a scenario in UL and of course the European interconnected grid, together with a single European electricity market is a forseeable possibility going towards 2050.

WOW so we continue to burn CO2 producing fuels for another 50 years
    instead of replacing these with 1-2 (non CO2 producing) nuke plants and building up a wind powered grid at own leisure

Yes i see how that makes environmental sense :rolleyes:

It's a work in progress! You want me to pull one out of my hat? Of course it will require time and investment. The smart grid also involves demand management side solutions, such as smart metering. CoolPower is an Irish company involved in this area with very interesting technologies coming onstream.

How much time?
    Yes you're right. there are also plans for future HVDC interconnectors to France and the UK. These measures will of course take time and investment. By the way, are you aware of the standard lead-in time on a nuclear plant?
    Yes I am aware of the lead time, most of it thanks to Green groups, and stringent bureaucracy and insurance money that needs to be raised
    10 years is still alot less than 50 odd years (10 is smaller number than 50) it will take to get to a stage where renewable's are a majority of our generation
    any more inter-connectors wont arrive on this side of 2020 anyways

Self-regulation in science? And as I've said about 3 times at this stage, GMO research isn't banned in Ireland!!
    Whats wrong with scientists regulating themselves? should Creationists also "regulate" research??

ei.sdraob, I just refuse to debate with someone who writes such disrespectful posts.

If you read this thread
    it is you who started first down the path of disrespect against me, talking me down, waving of points when it suits instead of debating them
    how does it feel now to taste your own medicine?

am I asking tough questions of you that you know deep down make sense but you refused to examine them due to own "beliefs" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... And no I don't waste my time caring about what will happen the world once its game over for me...

Noted.

It's my world, too. Please don't mess it up on me.

ei.sdraob, I just refuse to debate with someone who writes such disrespectful posts. No doubt you'll post some post in response to this but to be honest, I am incredibly disappointed in the need that some posters have on here to argue their points in such a vitriolic and contemptuous way. This is the level of debate I would expect on P.ie. A shame.

Edit: Darkjaeger. For the gazillionth time, you are welcome to discuss the science of climate change in the Sustainability Forum.

You asked me did I honestly believe there was no proof of it and I gave you an answer. I have no interest in discussing the science of it so I'm not sure what point you're making?
    Noted.

It's my world, too. Please don't mess it up on me.

Noted. If you're still alive in a couple of hundred years, send me the bill for any damage I might have caused ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

* When will we get the smart grid?
    A smart grid is not a single deliverable but a set of improvements to the grid to allow for adaptive load devices, reselling of energy to the grid, interconnectors, links to areas where renewable are generated etc.

A roadmap for smartening the grid with a 4bn investment programme was announced by Eirgrid in 2008.
    http://www.eirgrid.com/media/Grid%2025.pdf
    * When will we get more inter-connectors?
    The planning application for the North-South dual interconnector project was submitted last December. The East-West interconnector link to Wales is planning approved and due for completion in 2012. Significant grant aiding and EIB funding have been secured for this project.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0304/electricity.html
    * How many more decades will we continue to burn coal, oil, gas and peat; while wind takes over?
    The target is for 40% of electricity supply to come from renewable sources by 2020. (I think we're at 12% now)
    * Why cant we use nuclear as a bridging measure in order to produce enough base load for few decades giving us time to build up the grid and wind capacity and any storage?
    There is significant support for nuclear among many greens as the 'least worst option' since James Lovelock started promoting this idea 6 years ago. I imagine that there would be a lot of public resistance to the idea. In any case we will be using a larger proportion of nuclear generated power as the new interconnectors go live. It is not clear that we are of sufficient size to warrant a nuclear power station.
    Please please give us a timeframe until we arrive at the Green utopia?
    Every era is a utopia compared to a few decades earlier.

Great, but that has already been done and the evidence comes down on the side of AGW. It's a scientific theory, not a maths theorum so you are not going to get 100%. The theory of gravity has never been 100% proved but using your logic we should spend an equal amount of time continuously discussing alternative theories. The debate is pretty much over in scientific circles but is being artificially perpetuated by the media. I'm still waiting for you to start the debate again in my forum ;)
    This is not true at all. Your suggestions for how to resolve environmental issues do not work but you continue to believe in them because it's what suits your world view. I too would like to think leaving everything up to the individual and companies would resolve all environmental issues but the evidence does not support such a view.

And the irony is that we're the ones accused of wishful thinking.

dynamick wrote: »
    A smart grid is not a single deliverable but a set of improvements to the grid to allow for adaptive load devices, reselling of energy to the grid, interconnectors, links to areas where renewable are generated etc.

once again

when?

The planning application for the North-South dual interconnector project was submitted last December. The East-West interconnector link to Wales is planning approved and due for completion in 2012. Significant grant aiding and EIB funding have been secured for this project.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0304/electricity.html

which part of MORE inter-connectors do you not understand, the East-West due for completion in 2012 will only carry 500MW, we here in Ireland use quite a bit more than that

So once again

when will we get more Inter-connectors? this side of 2020??

Eamon Ryan avoided this question on Frontline last night

The target is for 40% of electricity supply to come from renewable sources by 2020. (I think we're at 12% now)
    we are?

God forbid we get a calm day before 2020 and not enough inter-connectors are in place

There is significant support for nuclear among many greens as the 'least worst option' since James Lovelock started promoting this idea 6 years ago. I imagine that there would be a lot of public resistance to the idea. In any case we will be using a larger proportion of nuclear generated power as the new interconnectors go live. It is not clear that we are of sufficient size to warrant a nuclear power station.

There are smaller countries than us with oil reserves going nuclear.

Yes we have sufficient size and can build 1 plant to replace the largest of our most polluting base load plants

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And yes I agree that the deficit is a bigger problem, I don't see the Greens doing anything to address it.

Well they are coming up with fancy taxes i.e. carbon taxes, septic tank investigation charges, etc to help raise more revenue and reduce the deficit.
    All of these taxes are welcomed by the ff party as they get more revenue all the while they can claim it was the greens trying to save the planet.

I think most right minded people, including farmers who are custodians of most of our coutnryside, would like to protect the environment for our childrens future.
    Of course there are the skangers who couldn't give a toss and there are also the farmers who couldn't give a cr** if the stream at the bottom of their land is polluted as long as they get rid of the slurry.

I want a clean environment, I want a safe environment, I want public transport options, I want controls on planning, I want political parties that stand for something and have ethics.
    Will the green party give me any of the above ?
    Will they fu**.
    They will make noises, but that's about all.

So far they have abandoned some of their core principles e.g Shannon military flights, Tara, Shell.
    They abandoned their stance on entering government with what they had termed an unethical party through some slight of hand by changing leaders.

They stand for nothing as can be seen in their defense of john o'donoghue and willie o'dea.
    They defended o'dea by voting with the ff party in the vote of confidence.
    It was only afterwards through a slip by their UNELECTED chairman that thigns unravelled.

The speech that eamon ryan made in the Dáil that day should be shown the night before the next election to remind his constituents what a spineless cretin he really is.

Nice to see he was back to his sanctimonious best last night on Frontline, where yet again he would not contenance the use of nuclear power, but bleats on as usual about fact it can be windy on west coast and we are beside the Atlantic.
    At least we know he did geography in school.

The greens have backed the worse, the most inept, the most wasteful government that this country has seen and they have readily come out to defend it.

They agreed to NAMA and the bank recapitalisations (which will sink this country for generations) in return for a few trinket measures that they reckon will help save the planet.
    The last time someone was so easily bought was when the Dutch bought Manhattan island.

This tax on fuel is just the latest in ill thought out ideas coming from them.
    This will bring in new tax, but it ain't going to save the planet and will just add to hardship of many at a time when money is in short supply.

jmayo wrote: »
    would like to protect the environment for our childrens future.

the children dont have much of a future now beside paying back debt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I could just easily argue that irrational, conspiratorial thinking has taken hold of the ‘anti-AGW’ camp. However, I am not inclined to lump individuals into particular ‘sides’.
    Hey, you’re the one who brought Al Gore into the discussion.
    Individuals are not referred to as conspiracy theorists for having an objective view of the subject. Individuals are likened to as conspiracy theorists when they produce hyperbole along the lines of...
    “Marxist environmentalists” pose about as much threat to our way of life as any other lunatic fringe. So we can choose to live in fear, or we can recognise that they represent a very small minority (and that’s not likely to change any time soon). Unless of course “Marxist” is a label applied to anyone who happens to be less economically liberal than yourself?

• Advertisement

once again

when?
    Come now – that’s like asking “when will Dublin have an integrated transport system?”. There is no definite answer. Both are works in progress that will continue indefinitely.
    we are?
    Yep:
    Eirgrid wrote:
    As of August 2009 approximately 12% of Ireland's electricity is produced from renewable sources (wind 10%, hydro 2%).

I want a clean environment, I want a safe environment, I want public transport options, I want controls on planning, I want political parties that stand for something and have ethics.
    Will the green party give me any of the above ?
    Will they fu**.
    They will make noises, but that's about all.
    So The Greens have done absolutely nothing to address the issues you’ve listed? Nothing at all?
    They agreed to NAMA and the bank recapitalisations (which will sink this country for generations)....
    As opposed to allowing the banks to fail, which would sink this country for generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

SFA. :rolleyes:

So then it is fair enough to add on even more ?
    Jaysus how deluded are some people that they think we will help our economy by slapping on even more taxes on people and industries.

In case you hadn't noticed most of our indigenous exports come from that sector. :rolleyes:

Let me guess you don't like farmers and you happen to have lived all your life in a town/city and wouldn't know one end of a cow from a gp spokesman.

Here to satisfy the green numpties and their supporters around here perhaps we should get rid of all cattle who create green house gases and then we can really see how much more our exports drop. :rolleyes:

So it is tough shi** to farmers who are affectively operating on incomes from the 80s and to the old who don't happen to live in duncan stewart designed homes.

The level of arrogance and sheer bloody minded stupidy exhibited by the green party and their die hard supporters is mind boggling.

No wonder the greens can't get elected in rural constituencies.
    mary white will be lucky not to end up shoved head first in a slurry pit somewhere in Carlow at the next election.

On the contrary, in slightly different circumstances i would have grown uo on a a farm or even been a farmer myself but usually farms are passed on to the first son.
    I have spent quite a lot of time working on farms during the summer hols and have seen most areas of farm work from growing/ picking crops, working with cattle up to and including a little work in slaughter houses - I do know what goes into sasuages and blackpuddings !
    I am not especially a fan of adding on taxes, but do advocate equality in taxes - why should agriculture have so much in subsidies ? The exports you refer to are, many of them are quite heavily subsidised, so the real value of them to the economy is not always clear.
    We are heartily tired of the poor mouth from so many sectors including agriculture - I can remember moaning and groaning every decade from the sixties from the agricultural lobby.

So you’d be opposed to littering laws, for example?
    Is that not painfully obvious? People do stupid things all the time. Why? Laziness for the most part. If people consistently made ‘environmentally responsible choices’, then pollution wouldn’t exist, would it? Or at least, it would not be a terribly serious problem.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Come now – that’s like asking “when will Dublin have an integrated transport system?”. There is no definite answer. Both are works in progress that will continue indefinitely.

indefinitely :eek:

there's a where good reason for me asking such as simple question

when?

A point that you and others have failed to grasp so I will have to spell it out

Moneypoint which currently produces 20-25% of our electricity (and were talking about reliable base load power here) will be closing by 2020
    The national grid backbone and best cables now run directly from Moneypoint
    If the planning starts now by the time this closes it can be replaced by a similar sized nuclear plant with no costly grid work required

So you are replacing a huge polluting plant with clean & reliable energy source circa 2020 and have it run for 40+ years

Hence the reason for me constantly asking the question when?
    * When will we have a "smart grid"?
    * When will we have more inter-connectors?
    * When will 80%+ be generated reliably from renewables like wind?

The question is vitally important to this country and its economy and to the environment, yet you and the Greens continually dodge it :(

Now assuming that the answer to above questions is 2030-2040

If you go with the nuclear option, you have a reliable and clean source and breathing room while you build up the renewable infrastructure

Or the alternative (the plan Greens are going for) is to continue burning dirty CO2 producing coal (and lets not forget that a coal plant releases more radioactive material than nuke plants) which doesnt help the environment any bit

If the Greens were in any ways serious about climate change and cutting out the largest source of Irelands emissions, they would be up in arms about the likes of Moneypoint still working

Nuclear power is not the end as yee think

Its a stepping stone that buys us time to build up proper infrastructure, while not polluting any more

Im dismayed that the Greens are so blinkered that they fail to grasp such a simple concept! Once again I would invite anyone who cares about the environment to drive down there and take a long look at the mountains of coal being burned

Which is better and cleanest option/path for the environment and the country?

Option A (current "plan"):

2020: 25% renewable, 75% gas/coal/oil/turf
    2030: 45% renewable, 55% gas/coal/oil/turf
    2040: 70% renewable, 30% gas/coal/oil/turf
    2050: 90% renewable, 10% gas/coal/oil/turf

Option B:

2020: 25% renewable, 25% nuclear, 50% gas/coal/oil/turf
    2030: 45% renewable, 25% nuclear, 30% gas/coal/oil/turf
    2040: 70% renewable, 25% nuclear, 5% gas/coal/oil/turf
    2050: 90% renewable, 25% nuclear > exporting the difference abroad for $$$
    2060: 100% renewable, nuclear plant retired, unlike option A the country didnt release alot of CO2! and made a profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Please ! Littering is very clarly an issue affecting public property !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

anymore wrote: »
    Please ! Littering is very clarly an issue affecting public property !

Some people do not believe in the idea of public property.

• Advertisement

Advertisement