Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycrone Manor Kilcoole

Options
  • 26-04-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi - i was just looking at the houses in Ballycrone Manor and wondering what anyone thinks of them? It looks like the sort of development that will never be finished. There are only a few houses occupied and i hear some are only rented. Also talking to one of the residents there and they said there is a strange old man who acts as a security man but goes around late at night looking in the windows!:eek: I fear if i buy here that it will be a ghost estate or else taken over by the Council.

Any advice welcome. I think Holywell Kilcoole looks much nicer and as if they are better built houses. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Would defo recommend Woodstock or Holywell over Ballycrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aug

In relation to ballycrone manor,kilcoole. I know this development and recommend that people view these houses, talk to the owners and judge for themselves. dont agree with previous postings at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Milly82

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else has any more views on this estate? I really like it and would love to buy there. Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 guccigal

Hi all, I'm also interested in Ballycrone as Hollywell seems to be gone. Anybody any thoughts on the place? we took a drive down there it all seems quiet enough and most houses appeared to be occupied. My only worry is that the remainder will be given to social housing or something? the beach is also really nice. if you have any ideas on what its like I'd really appreaciate it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

what price are the house you are interested in:D

• Advertisement

Well we have had a really poor customer service experience with the developers of Holywell, I have left seamless phone calls and messags and not one person phoned back ever. I mean it's ridiculous if you ring to enquire about a house with kingscroft, whats left and what prices, your going through to a 1800 number you give them the name of the site and they tell you someone will call you back, I can't remember the amount of times I have done that and not had one call back. Obviously their in no hurry to sell or maybe they have nothing left.

We are now looking at the properties in ballycrone with great interest. The area seems really nice, the second phase is selling well and it looks like it is a peacful place.

I'd like to hear from anybody else who may be intending on purchasing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Very unlikely the remainder will be given over to social housing, and most seem to have been bought by owner occupiers so will not end up in the Rental Accommodation Scheme, so I would think it a good place to be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sarah11662

Hi I have a booking deposit on Ballycrone Manor since last September, has anyone else got a booking deposit in this length it seems all 4 houses in the later stage are sale agreed now, but the estate agent doesn't know if the builder is going ahead or not.

guccigal wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm also interested in Ballycrone as Hollywell seems to be gone. Anybody any thoughts on the place? we took a drive down there it all seems quiet enough and most houses appeared to be occupied. My only worry is that the remainder will be given to social housing or something? the beach is also really nice. if you have any ideas on what its like I'd really appreaciate it.

Thanks

The last 4 houses were for affordable housing but the builder changed the planning and now they are for sale. I have a booking deposit on one of the 2 beds but I have been told the builder might pull them and then put them back up for a higher amount. How bad is that especially when I sold my house and had put my deposit down

Hi Sarah,

We pulled our deposit lastweek as we felt it was all too dodgy. We had deposit on four bed since July and heard nothing. Planning had expired andit was granted again but no word from solicitor, agent or builder. Our solicitor said very unlikely that if they go ahead they would stick to the agreed price when no contracts were exchanged. We bought in woodstock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We bought in woodstock.
    It looks very nice there.
    How do you find it?

Haven't moved in yet!! I liked the houses in woodstock from the get go. But as Ballycrone were offering a new house we went with them. But just before christmas we realised that this may not go ahead and even if the prices went up by another €100K we would still have to wait another 6mths from when they begin to build so we just were not willing to wait. As the bank owns this site and controls it, I cannot see them being sold for the prices that were originally agreed upon when deposits were taken. McDonald Properties told us last week that it would be at least April / May before they decide if they are going ahead or not. If that is the case, no bank is going to loose out on the opportunity to get more money for them in my opinion as property prices are only heading upwards. If I were you keep your options open and look at something else because if you have sold your own house and end up with ballycrone prices going up then you could be left with nothing or a much bigger mortgage than you anticipated. We ended up spending 60K more than we wanted to but I still believe that if we waited for ballycrone they will be higher when they sell them. Also there is a lot of work to be done in Ballycrone still and it will be a couple of years before they really finish the estate.
    Best of Luck with your venture and I really hope it does work out for you, so stressful !

Hi Sarah,

We pulled our deposit lastweek as we felt it was all too dodgy. We had deposit on four bed since July and heard nothing. Planning had expired andit was granted again but no word from solicitor, agent or builder. Our solicitor said very unlikely that if they go ahead they would stick to the agreed price when no contracts were exchanged. We bought in woodstock.

Thank you for your help I don't think they will go ahead either, we have our house sale agreed but there is very little out there to buy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

sarah11662 wrote: »
    Thank you for your help I don't think they will go ahead either, we have our house sale agreed but there is very little out there to buy.

Some nice houses for sale in Wellfield.

Hi

Well you were right it was doggy, the builder pulled out and we are left high and dry our house is just sale agreed and there is nothing else worth buying in Kilcoole. I bet the builder will put them up again for more money. Just makes me so mad.

Hi

Well you were right it was doggy, the builder pulled out and we are left high and dry our house is just sale agreed and there is nothing else worth buying in Kilcoole. I bet the builder will put them up again for more money. Just makes me so mad.

Well at least you hadn't sold your house and then rented until these were built then you would have been rightly screwed! We spoke with the builder only on Monday, the bank is holding the whole thing up and he said he had no other option but to tell people to take their deposits back as he won't know until April/May whether they will go ahead or not. What ones were you looking at? 2/4 bed? Think of it as a blessing, I do! However in saying that, we have signed contracts for our house in woodstock, both parties agreed a date last week but there is a hold up on their end. We are out of our house today with no where to go and our furniture now has to go into storage! NIGHTMARE... no wonder people say moving home is one of the most stressful things in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jackie66

I have a deposit on a 2 bed since last year too - my house is sold & I'm renting since Xmas - mc Donnell properties will not return my calls - is it official that they won't b built at that price ? Has any one been told for definite ?

Hi Jackie

We were never told that they wouldn't be built at that price, however if the banks are building it you can be sure that if they think they can get more for them and they are not bound by contract they will. We rang the builder he said that they were returning the deposits as the meeting he had with the banks was inconclusive as in they didn't get the go ahead to proceed and it would April /May before a decision is made. McDonnell Properties are a nightmare to deal with, phone never is working or answered. keep at it though.

Well at least you hadn't sold your house and then rented until these were built then you would have been rightly screwed! We spoke with the builder only on Monday, the bank is holding the whole thing up and he said he had no other option but to tell people to take their deposits back as he won't know until April/May whether they will go ahead or not. What ones were you looking at? 2/4 bed? Think of it as a blessing, I do! However in saying that, we have signed contracts for our house in woodstock, both parties agreed a date last week but there is a hold up on their end. We are out of our house today with no where to go and our furniture now has to go into storage! NIGHTMARE... no wonder people say moving home is one of the most stressful things in your life.

Yes I am glad we didn't sign contracts on our house so we are going to wait for a few months as houses are going up due to the lack of new builds. If Ballycrone comes back up in April or May we will try again for the 2 bed as we are downsizing and we should get more for our house in a couple of months. Hope all goes well with your purchase Woodstock is a lovely estate.

• Advertisement

Jackie66 wrote: »
    I have a deposit on a 2 bed since last year too - my house is sold & I'm renting since Xmas - mc Donnell properties will not return my calls - is it official that they won't b built at that price ? Has any one been told for definite ?
    Yes they have pulled them we are waiting on our deposit to be returned

• Registered Users Posts: 26 martini8383

Hi All,

We have our deposit for 2bed house since the end of Oct'13. Has anyone heard anythong new about this development? We've been told that the decision from the bank could be in mid March. McDonnell Properties said they have a list of people waiting for further update....

Hi All,

We have our deposit for 2bed house since the end of Oct'13. Has anyone heard anythong new about this development? We've been told that the decision from the bank could be in mid March. McDonnell Properties said they have a list of people waiting for further update....

We have been told the same mid March but I bet they will be more expensive

Just spoke to Richard McDonnell. He said 18.03 is the date when they will find out for 100% if they gonna build these houses or not.
    He said he will be calling people to let them know.

Just spoke to Richard McDonnell. He said 18.03 is the date when they will find out for 100% if they gonna build these houses or not.
    He said he will be calling people to let them know.

Thanks for the update, so hopefully they will go ahead with no more messing people about

Thanks for the update, so hopefully they will go ahead with no more messing people about

Yea, fingers crossed.

Yea, fingers crossed.

Are you buying a 2 bed also

Are you buying a 2 bed also

Yes.

Yes.
    Do you think they'll be much more expensive

• Advertisement

Do you think they'll be much more expensive

Well, first I'm really hoping the houses will be built. In the current situation on the property market with the huge demand, I don't see they reason why wouldn't. However, the price can go up, maybe around 10%.
    Few weeks ago, there was one 2 bed house for sale in Ballycrone. The asking price was for 199k. I think it eventually went for 195k. But this house was fully completed with the extension and all appliances in the kitchen so I don't think the builder can ask us for the same price.

I know all houses were sale agreed and I don't know how many people resigned from them when they have stopped the build. Maybe for people who left their deposits, the price will stay the same? Yea, I know don't be naive....eek.png
    The other question is, if they will decide to build them, when they will be completed? We will need to ask for contracts asap so we clearly know the completion date. Maybe around Sept - Oct?
    Anyway, let's wait another week and hopefully they will come back with good news for us smile.png

Advertisement