Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 Greatest Nature Photographs of all Time

Options
  • 23-04-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

It being 'Earth Day', the International Association of Conservation Photographers have voted on the best 40 photos ever taken by their photograher members. Some Beautifull shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilcptop40/sets/72157623774840478/show/with/4493706636/

Make sure to choose the 'Full Screen' logo in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Enjoy!

PS: For details on each photo, year it was taken, background story etc. click on 'Show Info'

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Interesting link. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't get how people can kill gorillas. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I don't think an eagle would be hard pressed to fly away with a cat, if birds like that eat deer for lunch.

• Advertisement

djhunter30 wrote: »
    I don't think an eagle would be hard pressed to fly away with a cat, if birds like that eat deer for lunch.
    True, very true. Poor silly putty kat! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

JPA wrote: »
    I don't get how people can kill gorillas. :(

"It's coming right for us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Pillars of creation

These are 97 trillion km high.

This is my favourite nature shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Apparently killing a gorilla gets pic of the year? makes me sick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Great pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

me too, if only i'd taken pictures of all those gorillas I'd killed...

me too, if only i'd taken pictures of all those gorillas I'd killed...

get back in yer bush :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Pillars of creation

What are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Pillars of creation

It's good but it has been superseded by the new picture from Hubble on its 20th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spudmonkey17

Far be it from me to do some back seat modding, but surely this would be better suited in the photography forum?

Y'know coz I likes my boards organised.

Just sayin' that's all....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Apparently killing of a gorilla gets pic of the year? makes me sick tbh.
    Conservation Rangers from an Anti-Poaching unit work with locals to evacuate the bodies of four Mountain Gorrillas killed in by members of a charcoal business illegally operating in the park, Virunga National Park, Eastern Congo, 24 July 2007.
    A Silver-Back Alpha male, the leader of the group was shot, three females were also killed.
    Two of the females had babies and the other was pregnant.
    The two babies were later found dead as a result of stress and dehydration.
    The local illegal Charcoal industry clashes with conservation efforts in this very poor area and Rangers have been threatened, tortured and killed as a result of this clash of political and economic wills.
    Over 100 Rangers have been killed in their efforts to protect the Gorrillas of Virunga, one of the world's most endangered species.
    The Congolese Rangers in this particular group are working with Wildlife Direct, a Conservation organisation.
    The Rangers receive a salary based on donations to Wildlife Direct and perform one of the most dangerous jobs in the world of wildlife conservation.
    The DRC has the highest toll of human casualties of any country since the second world war, a figure in the region of 4.6 million dead as a result of war and resultant displacement, disease, starvation and ongoing militia violence. (Photo by Brent Stirton/Getty Images for Newsweek.)

Kivaro wrote: »
    It's good but it has been superseded by the new picture from Hubble on its 20th anniversary.

Meh, space photos are always ridiculously photoshopped to make them look all magical and stuff. All you need is a few fairies and it would be perfect :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Far be it from me to do some back seat modding, but surely this would be better suited in the photography forum
    Just waiting for Earth day to finish and then it's biko day again...

Meh, space photos are always ridiculously photoshopped to make them look all magical and stuff.

ah, I don't think so ...............................................
    Not the hubble bubble ones anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm pretty sure the story behind that photo which I saw in a mag before was that the people were park rangers/conversationalists and that the gorilla wasn't killed by them.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Just waiting for Earth day to finish and then it's biko day again...

So we're fine with the Space pictures then?

ah, I don't think so ...............................................
    Not the hubble bubble ones anyway.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/what-hubble-really-sees-100318.html

Chorcai wrote: »
    Conservation Rangers from an Anti-Poaching unit work with locals to evacuate the bodies of four Mountain Gorrillas killed in by members of a charcoal business illegally operating in the park, Virunga National Park, Eastern Congo, 24 July 2007.
    A Silver-Back Alpha male, the leader of the group was shot, three females were also killed.
    Two of the females had babies and the other was pregnant.
    The two babies were later found dead as a result of stress and dehydration.
    The local illegal Charcoal industry clashes with conservation efforts in this very poor area and Rangers have been threatened, tortured and killed as a result of this clash of political and economic wills.
    Over 100 Rangers have been killed in their efforts to protect the Gorrillas of Virunga, one of the world's most endangered species.
    The Congolese Rangers in this particular group are working with Wildlife Direct, a Conservation organisation.
    The Rangers receive a salary based on donations to Wildlife Direct and perform one of the most dangerous jobs in the world of wildlife conservation.
    The DRC has the highest toll of human casualties of any country since the second world war, a figure in the region of 4.6 million dead as a result of war and resultant displacement, disease, starvation and ongoing militia violence. (Photo by Brent Stirton/Getty Images for Newsweek.)

''I get the picture'' now chorcai, thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I got through about three photos and was bored off my tits, uninspired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

you realise the photographer didn't kill the gorilla?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Carina Nebula has been my desktop screen saver since 2006, epic pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SugarHigh wrote: »
    you realise the photographer didn't kill the gorilla?
    :confused:

Photographers aren't know for 'shooting the subject' for nothing ya know :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

djhunter30 wrote: »
    I cant abide cats, but damn that moggy has some ambition and balls to back it up. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And there he goes running off to Google ............
    For a man who doesn't want this thread to last, you've fierce interest in it.

From the article above:
    ..... most celestial objects, such as nebulas, emit colors that are too faint for human eyes to make out. It takes a telescope, letting light build up in its CCD over time, to see the rich hues in Hubble photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Tbh not one of them comes near the photos of the lightning over Eyjafjallajökull

Advertisement