Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Medication Online

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ryanf1 wrote: »
    We haven't found a huge saving when delivery costs are factored in.

Are you using parcel motel? You'll get free UK delivery from most of the UK pet sites with orders over £29 so it's free to parcel motel in northern Ireland then you just pay the €3.95 to have it delivered to the locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Yes it certainly is up to the consumer to sort it out but its clear that not everyone has the time, knowledge or resources to do so which is exactly why I believe there is a need for their interests to be advocated for in a structured and informed way - just as there is already a group that advocates for human patient rights and interests. If costs are justifiable then this should present no threat to vets or drug companies but the fact is that right now there is zero transparency, zero oversight and zero accountability. Anyone who believes that any industry will act primarily in the interests of consumers when those consumers are under-informed, not organised into a cohesive voice, not to mention having their position weakened further labouring under the pressure of having a sick pet, is pretty naive.

I strongly reject the notion that if a pet owner queries pricing or seeks the best value that that implies they care any less for their pet - such implied inferences have been used pretty effectively up until now by those with a clear vested interest in maintaining the status quo to stifle even discussion never mind reform.

Nobody would argue that vets are entitled to charge for their expertise but that expertise (the cost of consults, continuing education, staffing expenses etc) is one thing, the cost of the meds they provide is another and should be separate for the sake of transparency. I assume both the websites and vets are sourcing these products from the same places and therefore it is hard to see a reason for such disparities in the cost of the drugs alone and a consumer would be pretty dumb not to question if the difference is due to vet markup and if so, how that markup is justified. We already cover the expertise costs with consult and prescription fees surely so why should those expenses be cited again to justify inflated drug pricing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I just got 3 months supply of Fortekor tablets for our elderly cat from MedicAnimal.com using ParcelMotel. The cost will be just under €50, including the PM fee, whereas it was costing about €35 a month from our own vet. The vet didn't object when I asked for a 3 month prescription from him - well worth while.

MedicAnimal were a bit painful to deal with though. I emailed the prescription to them after placing the order, and when I heard nothin for a couple of days, I chased them up via their online chat. They first asked me for the prescription, and when I told them that this had been sent, they told me I had to ring the pharmacy. It seems a bit pointless having online chat if they don't deal with the full order cycle. When I rang the pharmacy, they didn't have the script, so I had to send it again, to a different email address.

SO well worth the saving, but would be better if MedicAnimal got their act together.

GAH! I got Bailey's prescription the other week - we'd been waiting in the vets for at least an hour at the end of a long day, the vet was examining him for ages and he was pain etc etc etc so my brain was fried. She asked me did they usually write a prescription or order it and I said order it without thinking - it's half the price online so I'd save €40...but just as well because it's out of stock on any site I checked! I'll have a site lined up for next time lol! :pac: I prefer vetuk to medicanimal btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bazzer_1984

Anyone here know of any decent online places that you can purchase flea & wormer for dogs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

babo9 wrote: »
    Does anyone get their pet meds online?
    to get medication online. They do require your vet to fill in a form but your vet is obliged to do so.
    By law if you ask your vet for a prescription they have to give it you.
    Rips wrote: »
    Its difficult to believe your vet could say this to you, he's obliged to provide you with a prescription legally.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    The vet didn't object when I asked for a 3 month prescription from him - well worth while.

A veterinarian may be asked to provide a prescription for animal under their care, they are not obliged to fill in a form from a retailer/wholesaler/merchant, more details here
    Vet says they are legally not allowed to give prescriptions to buy online
    Boscod wrote: »
    I'm looking to source medication for my dog on-line (due to price), however my vet is saying he cannot provide a prescription as it's illegal for him to do so.

Is this correct?, and if so is there any way around this.
    maggiepip wrote: »
    I dont think your vet is correct.

Your veterinarian is correct, please read here the following:
    national legislation does not permit their supply via the internet or by mail order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Anyone here know of any decent online places that you can purchase flea & wormer for dogs ?

I use Vetuk.

I use Vetuk.

National legislation does not permit the supply of veterinary medicines via the internet or by mail order.

National legislation does not permit the supply of veterinary medicines via the internet or by mail order.

I'm sure the revenue have bigger fish to fry than a few bottles of metacam! :rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm sure the revenue have bigger fish to fry than a few bottles of metacam! :rolleyes:

The rules are there to protect animals and ensure medicines used are as safe as possible, and do what they are intended to do. For instance misuse (even if done with the best of intentions) with meloxicam can result in ulcerative gastroenteritis or renal failure.
    Forum-Specific Rules
    - No discussing illegal or violent activities

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The rules are there to protect animals and ensure medicines used are as safe as possible, and do what they are intended to do. For instance misuse (even if done with the best of intentions) with meloxicam can result in ulcerative gastroenteritis or renal failure.

DerTierarzt,
    You have quoted part of the forum charter at another poster here. Please be aware that this is back-seat moderating which is not allowed anywhere on boards.ie.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it. Do not take on to deal with it yourself.
    In this instance, many users have vets who are perfectly happy to supply the paperwork they need to buy various vet products online, and online shops who are open, transparent and happy to supply them.
    If you have an issue with the legality of it, I'd suggest you take it up with the VCI, or the websites themselves, because your insistence on bringing it up here is coming perilously close to soapboxing.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

The irony of you quoting the charter...

Somebody could just as easily misuse medicine they've gotten from their local vet? We're talking about somebody getting a prescription from their vet and buying the exact same medicine on-line by providing that prescription. Not somebody buying some knock off metacam from ebay.

Plenty of people have pets with long term illnesses and on-going conditions who's vet's give them extra to have in stock. Give posters the same credit their vet does.

EDIT - apologies DBB I posted before I saw your reply(!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I won't lose any sleep buying genuine medication from a reputable company at a lower price than I could get it from my vet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I won't lose any sleep buying genuine medication from a reputable company at a lower price than I could get it from my vet. ;)

Or you could go to the chemist like I did yesterday. They had no problem providing it for me.

Knine wrote: »
    Or you could go to the chemist like I did yesterday. They had no problem providing it for me.

What kind of price are you paying at your chemist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

RainyDay wrote: »
    What kind of price are you paying at your chemist?

I paid 12.50 for Parazole. I'm not actually sure if it was cheaper then the vets or not as it was just a lot handier for me this week with kids off school.

Knine wrote: »
    I paid 12.50 for Parazole. I'm not actually sure if it was cheaper then the vets or not as it was just a lot handier for me this week with kids off school.

Do most pharmacies keep vet supplies in stock? Or is this an urban/rural thing?

Advertisement