Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC delay offical upgrade to 2.1 for Hero to June!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They just want us to buy new phones.
    Thank God for the modding community.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Mr E wrote: »
    They just want us to buy new phones.
    Thank God for the modding community.

Agreed. Rooting and installing a custom ROM was the best decision I made since getting the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If they delay FroYo for the desire I will be VERY annoyed as I need flash and DivX support. Hopefully not as the HTC Evo comes with FroYo and that is being released in one month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Was holding out for the update but they are taking the píss. Anyone recommend a custom ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've just installed Villain 5.2, which is adapted from a leaked Sprint Hero Android 2.1 rom, complete with the upgraded Sense. There's no way there are so many difficulties upgrading sense for the Hero to the new version for Android 2.1, it's simply that they want people to upgrade. Bastids! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

This is gone beyond a joke at this stage, if I was someone who didn't want to/wasn't confident enough to root, I'd be fairly pissed off now. If it's to get people to buy newer phones I can see it backfiring as most people are on contracts and wont buy another HTC when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ah bolx, rooting tonight so. . .might just upgrade to desire. . .nah, i'll root

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

theteal wrote: »
    might just upgrade to desire

Thats what they want you to do don't give in:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Am gonna root mine this weekend. Can't wait, will probably regret I didn't do it earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i was gonna do the root, got a support ticket responce saying end of April

now this has happened im back in root mode, gonna do it tomorrow in work

i sent the June info to my support ticket, hopefully tomorrow i'll get a responce about it from the support team, if they say its true there are a few things that will happen

1) i will be rooting
    2) i will not buy HTC again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I have been tempted for a long time to flash one of those 2.1 roms im already on a 1.5 rom BUT!! reason i didnt was mainly cause nearly all roms are missing things and have slight faults so this is putting me off.
    Plus theres so many of the things which are u meant to get one person says villian other says sense i dunno :rolleyes: ffs HTC

I have been tempted for a long time to flash one of those 2.1 roms im already on a 1.5 rom BUT!! reason i didnt was mainly cause nearly all roms are missing things and have slight faults so this is putting me off.
    Plus theres so many of the things which are u meant to get one person says villian other says sense i dunno :rolleyes: ffs HTC

I've never noticed anything missing or any faults (other then some slight lagginess, but no more then you'd experience with the stock ROM) with any of the ROMs I've installed.

I'd say go for it. Getting a working phone with Android 2.1 is worth it. Villian is quite good. I'm using it now, haven't noticed any problems, although I just installed that last night after moving from behero.

The best thing about flashing a 2.1 ROM is that you're suddenly much freer of waiting for HTC to give the upgrade, as you can upgrade yourself.:)

The villian rom and the sense rom are ones i was lookin at has anyone had any mms problems or battery problems with these ??

I read people were having certain little yet important things like this go wrong.

The villian rom and the sense rom are ones i was lookin at has anyone had any mms problems or battery problems with these ??

I read people were having certain little yet important things like this go wrong.

I don't know about MMS as I don't use it (does anyone use MMS now?). I saw there's a fix for the MMS problem with Villain on the download page but didn't look into it. Haven't noticed any problems with battery life on Villian-in fact it's better then the battery life on the Behero ROM.

Sure the battery life isn't as good as it could be with an offical 2.1 ROM but being able to use Google Goggles, having access to the paid apps market, google navigation, etc is worth a slightly less efficient battery.

Gonna have a look at doing this when i get home from work.
    Hopefully wont be any problems as at the moment things are workin fairly fine on my phone dont wanna make it worse when i dont have to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,245 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've just installed Villain 5.2, which is adapted from a leaked Sprint Hero Android 2.1 rom, complete with the upgraded Sense. There's no way there are so many difficulties upgrading sense for the Hero to the new version for Android 2.1, it's simply that they want people to upgrade. Bastids! :mad:

Where is the best place for this Rom and guide to install it? Wanted to wait for the official HTC update (with Sense) but i'm not waiting til june if this Villain 5.2 can be got with Sense.

Where is the best place for this Rom and guide to install it? Wanted to wait for the official HTC update (with Sense) but i'm not waiting til june if this Villain 5.2 can be got with Sense.

http://villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=94

Download and also download the files below depending on which ones u want.

Then when finished mount your sd card copy and paste all the files u downloaded to your sd card and when done turn off the phone.

Reboot by holding home and power button together till u see the black and green screen then just apply any zip from sd. Each time reboot before u apply next file.

Its recommended you do a full wipe before hand but i never do lol its up to u

It has sense. Go to http://villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=94 to download the rom itself.

As for guides...first you have to root http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

Then using the .zip file you downloaded from villainrom (or whatever custom rom you decide on) you can follow these guidelines http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-load-a-custom-rom-on-your-htc-hero/

And that's about it. Remember to back up any SMS or anything else you want to save from your phone using apps like SMS back up.

Ok question does it take long for the phone to reboot fully after adding the 5.2 rom ?? its been on the htc screen the last 5 mins or more now..........

It always seems to take a few minutes to load up. Give it another 2-3 minutes before you start panicking!

This happened to me the first time I was loading a ROM and I was sure for about a minute that I'd bricked the phone-but it was just taking its time loading the ROM!

• Advertisement

R28 wrote: »
    It always seems to take a few minutes to load up. Give it another 2-3 minutes before you start panicking!

This happened to me the first time I was loading a ROM and I was sure for about a minute that I'd bricked the phone-but it was just taking its time loading the ROM!

I know i was the same first time i loaded rom back when hero first came out but this is very long its more then ten minutes now :p.
    Although sayin that the updates a big file nearly 100mbs

Ehhhhh still waiting :( lol

I know it took mine forever to boot up properly after installing some of the ROMS.

Did you do a full wipe before installing it? If not it will probably take it quite a while longer.
    I'd imagine that you should be up and running again by now though.

Ya i fixed it probley should waited till got home ha
    No wifi in work cant get all my stuff bk till later :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

June! FFS. They're making a bit of a balls of this. Started out so well with HTC, but delaying upgrades like this, without proper (or even a bull****) excuse!

Hmm, might go Villian, currently running Modaco 3.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Now this is ridiculous. Too the rootmobile with you all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Damn, have had enough of waiting too - am going to root and install villain 5.22 shortly.

Just to be clear, will I need to reenter my meteor APN,settings, googlemail etc or can I back all these up. Not worried about contacts etc as I presume I can just resync with outlook?

Patrickof wrote: »

Just to be clear, will I need to reenter my meteor APN,settings, googlemail etc or can I back all these up. Not worried about contacts etc as I presume I can just resync with outlook?

You have to re enter your Meteor APN settings and gmail account.

Your contacts are synced with your gmail so they will be ok once you've logged in with your gmail account.

I switched from Villain 5.22 to Vanillain 2.0 to try it out before they bring out Villain 5.3, actually quite like it to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

@HTC, its p!$$ poor performance from a company who, lets face it, have come leaps and bounds product-wise in the past year/year and a half. The ramifications of this latest little stunt will be severe.

For manufacturers, its all about brand loyalty and trust. I cant help but think HTC have shot themselves in the foot with this one. Reading several different fora posts on this, the recurring words are "mistrust, deceitful, dishonest, unfair"..

The machine is fully operational now though, so its not as if our little opinions matter.

For shame, @HTC, for shame..

Advertisement